Shooting Situation at Rolling Oaks Mall San Antonio

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Shooting Situation at Rolling Oaks Mall San Antonio

Post by mojo84 »

Treybadd wrote:So the police chief makes it sound like it is senseless that good samaritans try to stop crime...not senseless the thugs with guns rob malls.
I took it as if he was saying the robberies and shooting was senseless and not necessarily the actions of the good Samaritans. By the way, I am no fan of McManus.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

Prayers for those involved.

I can hear the liberals and family of the BG that was shot--" he was a good boy. He didn't have to kill him"
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

allisji

Post by allisji »

mojo84 wrote:Sad the good guys get blamed for the outcome rather than the actual bad guys. I'm sure they could have done things differently or better but let's not blame them by saying they made things worse. Let's be thankful they were willing to risk their lives for others. There will be time to learn from their mistakes once more info is known.
:iagree:
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Javier730 wrote:Second mall hit here in San Antonio. People who do go to malls, keep your heads on swivels and please be careful.
Makes me wonder if they were related.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by NotRPB »

The good guy with a gun stopped 1 half of the murderers, too bad there weren't more good guys with guns to stop the other half of the murderers; if the 1 good guy didn't have a clear safe shot at the other murderer due to people behind him or whatever.

Know your target and what's behind it.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

NotRPB wrote:The good guy with a gun stopped 1 half of the murderers, too bad there weren't more good guys with guns to stop the other half of the murderers; if the 1 good guy didn't have a clear safe shot at the other murderer due to people behind him or whatever.

Know your target and what's behind it.
Good guy one was not armed but from the news articles posted he does seem to have an LTC. Good guy 2 was armed and stopped one threat. It is unfortunate that one good Samaritan had to lose his life, prayers to his family. We do need to know what is behind our target and what is around us.

It's hard to say, "I would have stayed out of it," in this sort of situation. I applaud the two Good Samaritans for stepping in to save the day. Once the bad guys started shooting I probably would have drew my weapon as well. Once bullets start flying my family could be in danger. I would not have been outside of the mall without them.

When we go to the mall we stick together, I am always armed. I have gotten into the habit of carrying at least one extra mag when we go running errands and two if we go to the mall.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Post by bblhd672 »

longhorn86 wrote:Good Samaratan that was killed has been identified as 42 yr old Jonathan Murphy.

http://www.ksat.com/news/second-suspect ... l-shooting

Prayers for his family
Reports say Mr. Murphy was a former active duty Marine. Semper Fidelis.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

bblhd672 wrote:
longhorn86 wrote:Good Samaratan that was killed has been identified as 42 yr old Jonathan Murphy.

Prayers for his family
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
There are those that are willing and those that aren't. Those that are should not be made out to be the bad guys.

May God bless his family with peace and comfort.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

longhorn86
Posts in topic: 7

Post by longhorn86 »

McManus now saying they expect to make a 3rd arrest.

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/p ... tore-heist

The South Park Mall jewelry store robbery on Friday had 3 perps, sure does look like these may be same guys
NRA Life Member

Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

Here's the headline, sub headline, and caption from a British news site. It's always interesting to see all the different biases in the headlines.

SHOPPING CENTRE HORROR: One killed and six injured after gunman opens fire at Texas mall

"ONE PERSON has been killed and six injured after a gunman opened fire near a children’s playground in San Antonio, according to reports."

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

bblhd672 wrote:

Prayers for his family
Aren't Marines trained to "run to the sound of the guns"? Seems that maybe his training just kicked in, may he rest in peace.

FCH

Post by FCH »

According to the GoFundMe page set up for the murder victim, he and his wife were in the jewelry store getting their wedding rings cleaned. Jon may have been simply acting to come between the criminals and his wife.

https://www.gofundme.com/support-victim ... hys-family
NRA Member
TSRA Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

FCH wrote:According to the GoFundMe page set up for the murder victim, he and his wife were in the jewelry store getting their wedding rings cleaned. Jon may have been simply acting to come between the criminals and his wife.

https://www.gofundme.com/support-victim ... hys-family
Thanks for sharing.

A man that may have been protecting his wife is not one to be called "stupid". Nor is he one that should be blames for the tragic outcome.

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression that some here take my previous post on this matter to mean that I was criticizing or blaming the two Good Samaritans for the tragic outcome of this event. If that is the case, let me clarify: that is NOT he case, at all. I am NOT blaming or criticizing in any way either of the two Good Samaritans for the tragedy that occurred. The fault for all that happened there lies totally, completely, unquestionably at the feet of the two armed robbers who chose to break the law - no one else.

What I was trying to say in my previous post was simply that I believe that many if not most, business owners, given the choice, would prefer that a robber make a clean getaway, rather than a customer or innocent bystander take any action to intervene in (just) a robbery when that intervention may put them at risk of being injured or killed by trying to stop that robbery.

I believe that is the idea behind some businesses posting 30.06 signs. I do NOT believe that most business owners are so stupid as to believe that posting a sign will prevent them being robbed. I DO believe that most business owners ARE smart enough to know that most armed robbers simply want to get the money and leave, as quickly as possible. That business owner knows that if he can prevent a gunfight between a robber and a Good Samaritan inside his store, that he (the business owner) will come out ahead.

I didn't say I agreed with that idea. I didn't say I thought that was a good idea, or was the right thing to do. It's just my opinion of why some business owners may prohibit legal carry of firearms in their store.

Just sharing ideas. Take it for what it's worth.

I will say again: prayers lifted for those involved in this event.

I hope that clears up any confusion about my previous post, if there was any. :tiphat:

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Keith B »

jmra wrote:
Keith B wrote:A couple of major mistakes were made by the first guy; 1. He tried to intervene, and 2. He tried to intervene unarmed with an armed suspect. And, while I can understand the concealed carry holder pulling and shooting, especially since the 1st guy had shot the Good Samaritan, it more than likely set the 2nd suspect to shooting as he ran out of the mall. Hopefully the three people injured by the 2nd guy will make full recoveries.
I agree with what you're saying, but once the first guy was shot wasn't the genie out of the bottle? At that point both guys are guilty of murder and really don't have much to lose. If the LTC does nothing the BGs more than likely panic and become very unpredictable. I just think at that point I'm more comfortable dealing with one armed guy than two. I hate that 3 people were injured but I also see a nightmare senecio where two desperate armed murderers are holding an unknown number of hostages in a police standoff.
I don't blame the LTC, I might have done exactly what he did. It is possible that he or others were actually being aimed at or shot at as he pulled the trigger. The sequence of how it went down is not known, so we can only guess who was on first.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “The Crime Blotter”