IL: Armed security guard stops bank robbery

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Frankie
Posts in topic: 1

IL: Armed security guard stops bank robbery

Post by Frankie »

Armed security guard and retired deputy sheriff, Brian Harrison will not face charges for fatally shooting 34 yr old Lawrence Turner. (This is IL so there was probably talk of how to fry him).

Not a big fan of the NY Post but thought this was a rather good article in the incident http://nypost.com/2017/03/15/hero-guard ... nk-robber/

Security Camera video
Graphic image warning.
https://youtu.be/7qyOggAK8SY

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: IL: Armed security guard stops bank robbery

Post by Pawpaw »

He did a great job.

About 9 seconds into the video, it looks like he had a malfunction and had to cycle the slide. He stayed in the fight.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

:biggrinjester: Must have been a 1911
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

Pawpaw wrote:He did a great job.

About 9 seconds into the video, it looks like he had a malfunction and had to cycle the slide. He stayed in the fight.

Yeah he did almost all of his shooting one handed, may have been a victim of a limp wrist. but he did a great job of using concealment, and continuing to fire even with the BG shooting.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Pawpaw wrote:He did a great job.

Yeah he did almost all of his shooting one handed, may have been a victim of a limp wrist. but he did a great job of using concealment, and continuing to fire even with the BG shooting.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

One handed shooting is exactly what was called for in that situation to minimize his exposure from cover.

In sudden life-and-death fight, you do whatever it takes to win. There is no second place and you don't get extra points for style.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Pawpaw wrote:One handed shooting is exactly what was called for in that situation to minimize his exposure from cover.

In sudden life-and-death fight, you do whatever it takes to win. There is no second place and you don't get extra points for style.

Oh I agree, he did exactly as he should have, I was just commenting that the one handed shooting may have been the cause of him having to rack the slide. It was a textbook example of using cover, even ducking when the BG walked in, getting his gun out quiclkly, using the counter as cover, firing even when the BG went to the ground, and not exposing his body to gunfire. They should use that video for training purposes.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:One handed shooting is exactly what was called for in that situation to minimize his exposure from cover.

Oh I agree, he did exactly as he should have, I was just commenting that the one handed shooting may have been the cause of him having to rack the slide. It was a textbook example of using cover, even ducking when the BG walked in, getting his gun out quiclkly, using the counter as cover, firing even when the BG went to the ground, and not exposing his body to gunfire. They should use that video for training purposes.
But did really have to shoot that poor kid sooooo many times?

Cue picture of BG as a 4th grader in his Sunday school outfit.

Edited to add: Never mind. I just saw that the criminal is white. He will get no sympathy.
Last edited by Soccerdad1995 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Jusme wrote:

But did really have to shoot that poor kid sooooo many times?

Cue picture of BG as a 4th grader in his Sunday school outfit.

Yeah I'm sure the family's lawyer will want to paint him as a choir boy, who got in with the wrong crowd. :banghead:
I even agree with the guard shooting, when the BG turned to leave, he was still armed and a potential threat to anyone outside. There should be no discussion about the justification, I think the reporter just wanted to create an issue where none existed.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Notice that the BG was in his car waiting for the only customer to leave in his truck before he made his entrance to the bank.

It's another reminder that it's important to look around the parking lot as well as the inside of the premises before entering a bank, convenience store, jewelry store, or other robbery prone location.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I have a somewhat funny story related to banks.

I work for an IT company and one of our sales guys got to a bank that was wanting us to give them a proposal like 30 minutes early. He was sitting in his truck, in front of the bank for a while and all the bank employees thought he was casing the place lol.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Excaliber wrote:Notice that the BG was in his car waiting for the only customer to leave in his truck before he made his entrance to the bank.

It's another reminder that it's important to look around the parking lot as well as the inside of the premises before entering a bank, convenience store, jewelry store, or other robbery prone location.

I do that as a matter of course, I completely scan the area, of anywhere I go, for anything that looks out of the ordinary, check my mirrors before getting out of the vehicle, and I don't get out if I see anything not quite kosher. It sometimes drives my wife crazy.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Another angle inside with outside approach caught as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 9PoABSOqUo
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Multiple open bank robbery cases closed at one time. Good job.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Big-time penalty for "promiscuous shooting".

That's one bad guy that won't cycle through the criminal justice system and get unleashed on a community again.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Return to “The Crime Blotter”