Charged deadly conduct shooting at fiancée's attackers

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
FCH
Posts in topic: 1

Charged deadly conduct shooting at fiancée's attackers

Post by FCH »

Texas man charged with ‘deadly conduct’ for shooting at men who attacked his fiancée
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/03 ... s-fiancee/
A Texas man was arrested Friday and subsequently charged with a third-degree felony after shooting at two men who were allegedly attacking his fiancée.
...Spring, Texas, resident Jeremiah Morin is being accused of firing “indiscriminately” at two men in ski masks, who were allegedly in the process of attacking his fiancée...
Morin, 34, reportedly retrieved his gun and began firing multiple rounds at the attackers, and continued pursuing the attackers and shooting at them as they fled the scene.

“He began to indiscriminately shoot multiple rounds down the street,” Carlisle said. “These rounds definitely went down a very crowded street.”
...authorities believe the attack was gang-related
NRA Member
TSRA Member

carlson1

Re: Charged deadly conduct shooting at fiancée's attackers

Post by carlson1 »

Morin is reportedly a member of the gang Tango Blast and authorities believe the attack was gang-related. Carlisle said they are looking at all possibilities regarding the incident.
This would be a problem for the shooter.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

If the shooter was a better marksman at the beginning of all this he would have avoided a lot of legal problems.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

How often do you think gang members go to the range? I think most barely know which end the bullet comes out of!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

crazy2medic wrote:How often do you think gang members go to the range? I think most barely know which end the bullet comes out of!
Yeah but holding the gun sideways helps accuracy. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Lol, and the limp wrist grip helps with recoil
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

FCH wrote:Texas man charged with ‘deadly conduct’ for shooting at men who attacked his fiancée
A Texas man was arrested Friday and subsequently charged with a third-degree felony after shooting at two men who were allegedly attacking his fiancée.
Here's another version of the story with pretty good security video. Sure looks like masked attackers trying to kidnap a woman. Apparently the first judge he got in front of threw his arrest out for lack of probable cause. I would like to think that cops don't act arbitrarily, but... I feel like we are not getting the entire story.

Acronym 4/4/2017 10:18 AM

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

ScottDLS wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:How often do you think gang members go to the range? I think most barely know which end the bullet comes out of!
Yeah but holding the gun sideways helps accuracy. :biggrinjester:
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If the facts are accurate (big if), then I think he was OK up to the point at which he started firing "indiscriminately" down the street after the fleeing attackers. Regardless of the "indiscriminate" part, I don't know that he had justification to continue using deadly force at all at that point. It sounds like the attack had ended, and neither he nor his fiancée were in imminent danger.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Let's see what the grand jury does. They may issue a no-bill.

Of course there is always the "indict a ham sandwich" talk around the courthouse so let's see how it plays out. Felons running away from you may or may not be a threat. What if they had guns too....could have turned around and fired....appears a defensible case to me.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

The second video posted of the home surveillance cameras show them to be armed. But it is a good lesson for everyone to keep reminding ourselves - once the threat is stopped - stop shooting.
Ron
NRA Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am not so sure the threat is ended while those guys are running away. These guys had some serious intent and the Women, the kids and himself are probably in real danger until these guys are in prison or dead.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

dlh wrote:Let's see what the grand jury does. They may issue a no-bill.

Of course there is always the "indict a ham sandwich" talk around the courthouse so let's see how it plays out. Felons running away from you may or may not be a threat. What if they had guns too....could have turned around and fired....appears a defensible case to me.
Yes. If he saw that they had guns, then I can see how they might pose a threat. Still better to seek cover than trying to hit a moving target, IMHO.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Acronym Esq wrote:
FCH wrote:Texas man charged with ‘deadly conduct’ for shooting at men who attacked his fiancée
Here's another version of the story with pretty good security video. Sure looks like masked attackers trying to kidnap a woman. Apparently the first judge he got in front of threw his arrest out for lack of probable cause. I would like to think that cops don't act arbitrarily, but... I feel like we are not getting the entire story.
That puts this incident in a whole different light. It does, indeed, sound like the cops were fishing.

Still if he did "serve prison time time for drugs 10 years ago", wouldn't he be a felon in possession of a firearm? I looks like he still hasn't been charged for that.
dlh wrote:Let's see what the grand jury does. They may issue a no-bill.
What grand jury? He was released from custody.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Shooting at men in ski masks who are attacking and attempting to kidnap someone seems within the law. Randomly shooting at people who are running away down the street does not.

However, in my old neighborhood a doctor heard his wife scream, ran down stairs, she said the robbers went out the front door, he went outside and saw dark figures running away a hundred feet or so and began firing at them.

He hit no one that we are aware of. We have no idea where the bullets went as this is a crowded residential area.

The police, when he told them what happened, told him they were not going to write down that part of his story and that he should not repeat it.

He was not arrested. Although many in the neighborhood felt he should have been, none stepped up to file a complaint.

Gang members probably don't get as much help from the police, as doctors do.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”