WA man arrested after killing intruder in shower

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 2

WA man arrested after killing intruder in shower

Post by jerry_r60 »

I wasn't sure if I should stick this in the Crime Blotter section or Self Defense section. I put it here because he's charged. Leaving the scene to get a gun and coming back instead of calling the police doesn't sound like a good idea. I don't know if there is more to the story but it didn't sound like loved ones in the house or something like that.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/04/wa ... e-say.html
Last edited by jerry_r60 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: WA man arrested after killing intruder in shower

Post by cmgee67 »

That's lack of judgment there. He should have called the police and let them get him from the residence. He could have shut the bathroom door and not let him out or if he grabbed a gun just held him there until police arrived. A naked man vs a gun will lose everytime just about especially if he was in the shower. There was no need for use of deadly force there unless the naked guy was trying to attack him. This gives us gun owners a bad name and it is what the media uses to try and hold against us. He shot him through the shower curtain... so how would he even be threatened unless it was verbal. Obviously he was able to leave the residence go get a gun and come back so he must have not been in enough danger to leave. That would have been plenty of time to call the police.... ugh I hate stories like this.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Did he go home to get a gun? That article didn't say where he went unless I missed something. Firing through the shower curtain seems to indicate the threat might be questionable. Call the police would probably have been a better response even if it was perfectly legal.

I thought in Texas there doesn't always need to be a threat if someone is in your actual home. I don't know the laws in Washington and I wasn't sure if this was his actual home or not.
Last edited by MechAg94 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

One never knows what a person is capable of when they enter your house by mistake and do something like take a shower. The person could be on something stronger than alcohol and could have been a valid threat. That being said, if you are able to leave the house and nobody else is left in the house to be in danger? Call the police and let them handle it. No need to go BACK into the house and potentially put yourself in danger.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

TX is more flexible on this kind of thing than other states, but that said, a person standing in your living room with his hands in his pockets can be seen as a potential threat, but a naked man in your shower, not so much.

He made a poor choice, which reflects badly on any proposal to allow carry with no training at all.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

MechAg94 wrote:Did he go home to get a gun? That article didn't say where he went unless I missed something. Firing through the shower curtain seems to indicate the threat might be questionable. Call the police would probably have been a better response even if it was perfectly legal.

I thought in Texas there doesn't always need to be a threat if someone is in your actual home. I don't know the laws in Washington and I wasn't sure if this was his actual home or not.
You are right he didn't say he "went home" to get the gun. I conflated two things without rereading. one that he had two homes and the other, that he "ran from the scene, grabbed a gun and then returned and shot the intruder". So didn't way where he went to get the gone other than it was away "from the scene". I edited my original post.

FCH

Post by FCH »

Did you notice this statement?
According to Washington state law, “no person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property.”(emphasis mine)
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

HMMM? I wonder if there is a SO/Wife somewhere in this 0800 shower shooting drama?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:HMMM? I wonder if there is a SO/Wife somewhere in this 0800 shower shooting drama?
I had not considered this possibility, but it may make this story more plausible.
NRA Endowment Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WildBill wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:HMMM? I wonder if there is a SO/Wife somewhere in this 0800 shower shooting drama?
I had not considered this possibility, but it may make this story more plausible.
I was thinking the same thing. Husband comes home unexpectedly. Sees his wife sitting on the bed and hears the shower running. Then he goes and gets his gun from the car....

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Husband comes home unexpectedly. Sees his wife sitting on the bed and hears the shower running. Then he goes and gets his gun from the car....

There is definitely more to the story than what has been reported. Naked dead guy, was a school teacher, not your typical home invader. Taking a shower, so he was obviously not in big hurry to get out. Home owner, has time to get his gun from off premise, either his vehicle or somewhere else. Words are exchanged before shooting through a shower curtain. Police are not summoned, until naked guy is already shot. Definitely sounds like there may have been some personal motives involved. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Should of made him get dressed first. :evil2:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

FCH wrote:Did you notice this statement?
According to Washington state law, “no person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property.”(emphasis mine)

So it has to be determined to be reasonable, meaning no castle doctrine and will be at least going to a Grand Jury. The story as per usual reporting these days is missing some key details, and something about the version of the story in the article stinks. Can't say if it is the Home Owner's story not being accurate, or if the media is putting some spin on it(or at least leaving out enough info to make him look guilty).
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pariah3j wrote:
FCH wrote:Did you notice this statement?

So it has to be determined to be reasonable, meaning no castle doctrine and will be at least going to a Grand Jury. The story as per usual reporting these days is missing some key details, and something about the version of the story in the article stinks. Can't say if it is the Home Owner's story not being accurate, or if the media is putting some spin on it(or at least leaving out enough info to make him look guilty).
The definition of "reasonable" varies significantly depending on where you are in that state. There is a reference to the intruder being from Bothell which is close to Seattle, but a bit more rural (and logical). Still, there is a good chance that many on the jury will believe it is never "reasonable" to use a gun in self defense.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Is it "reasonable" to fire 4 shots through the shower curtain? What was the threat?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “The Crime Blotter”