"Rich" man attacked in VA

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

"Rich" man attacked in VA

Post by chasfm11 »

After the spate of reported shootings where the circumstances might not go well for the shooter, here is another where things might not have gone well for a self-defender with a gun

We've traveled I-95 and there are definitely a couple of service areas with questionable surroundings. But I don't remember one like that in Virginia. When I saw that a NJ woman was involved, I mistakenly thought the couple involved were in NJ when the incident - where a handgun is a real no-no if you are from out of State. Given the couple's reported route, carrying a self-defense firearm would have been out of the question.

So would the hammer swung with malice at the car and the boat been grounds for at least threatening deadly force in VA? Given the racial implications would even considering using a gun to respond be a costly error? My general approach is that a significant age disparity between attacker and victim should count for a lot but I'm not sure that it would here.

We do a lot of RV travel and I've frankly been afraid of a similar scenario. Ours is a 15 year old RV but someone with the mindset of the attacker in this case might not take that into consideration. It doesn't appear that retreat was a great option. Someone with a hammer can do a lot of damage to a fiberglass RV, just like the boat, in a fairly short time. Of course ending up like this guy (or worse) isn't a good outcome either.

http://wtvr.com/2017/04/03/caroline-gas-station-attack/
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

rotor

Re: "Rich" man attacked in VA

Post by rotor »

She clawed him in the face with the hammer. Blocked his car with hers. Hit car and boat hard enough to break the hammer. Lucky to be alive. Hitting someone in the face with a hammer is the use of deadly force. She has been arrested. Lucky for her he wasn't carrying (I assume) or she might be dead now.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I don't care about ethnicity, sex, or age. If you are big enough to swing a hammer at my face you are big enough to kill me with it. You try to kill me I'm going to put holes in you until you stop being a threat or I run out of bullets.
NRA Benefactor Member

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

She wouldn't have got past the first swing down here.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

Return to “The Crime Blotter”