Stabbing at The University of Texas

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 2

Stabbing at The University of Texas

Post by Papa_Tiger »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/01/us/univer ... index.html

Short on details, but 1 dead, 2 injured. People advised to stay away from the area outside of Gregory Gym. Hmmm... wasn't a gunman, so how will MDA blame this on Campus Carry?

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stabbing at The University of Texas

Post by Flightmare »

We have to outlaw high capacity knives. Nobody but police and military should have such weapons of destruction. :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

A student with a concealed carry weapon reportedly stepped in to stop the stabbings.
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/christine ... n-n2320747
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Pawpaw wrote:
A student with a concealed carry weapon reportedly stepped in to stop the stabbings.
If this turns out to be the case, expect a massive effort at discrediting or blaming the concealed carrier. :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

I am profoundly disappointed that no UT student stepped forward to use a dildo to stop the carnage.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Wow if that turns out to be true that a ltc holder stopped the event... and he had to go grab it allegedly, was the gym a "gun free" zone?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Pawpaw wrote:
Just watched a press conference given by the chief of TUPD. He credits his Officers quick action and knows nothing of a LTC holder stopping the attacks.

cprems

Post by cprems »

Thoughts and prayers to those who were killed and injured. I sure hope that the report of an LTC carrier intervened is true. I guess we'll never know unless the person comes forward.
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

VViper

Post by VViper »

dhoobler wrote:I am profoundly disappointed that no UT student stepped forward to use a dildo to stop the carnage.

Not to make light of a tragic event, but my first thought, exactly.

Prayers for all who suffered...

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

Where's the outrage by the BLM ? Oh wait nevermind....
'got to Texas ASAIC.

MrMcCullster

Post by MrMcCullster »

It is horrible what happened today in Texas. Not only at UT, but in Dallas as well. First it was the AR15 carrier in Dallas around I-30 and Reynolds Road. And then while that is unfolding, the stabbing incident at UT happened.

I am very sorry for families of those involved in this. This is horrible. And my thoughts go out to the families of those who were lost today over what? Stressed out over finals? Random hatred? Pure evil? And now a mother and father has to be told their son/daughter won't come home tonight.

That's what everyone should do first, is mourn the loss of these kids who had a whole life ahead of them.

I'd seen the response from the leader of the Cocks Not Glocks movement on Twitter/Facebook, and she happened to mention that firing a gun in that crowded of a location would have sent everyone into a panic.

After seeing one of the news interviews of a young lady right after it happened, I noticed a few things from what she said. She said they heard a couple of people scream behind her while she was in line, and thought they were just getting chased by a friend (like tag or something). They saw a guy with a large 7 inch knife with a curve on it walking around. They thought he was just fooling around. He approached people sitting at a bench while they ate and slammed the knife into the table and glared at them, and then proceeded to stab a guy in the kidney who walked by. She went on to say that at this point she still thought it was just a prank, that this guy was just fooling around, and she was just waiting for him to do the "A-HA!" moment, and for the guy to come clean like he's in some Improv Everywhere class. "Gotcha guys! It's just a rubber knife and this is just ketchup!" At this time he proceeded to grab someone's shoulder and stab them in the neck."

That sounds an awful lot like "normalcy bias". That normal people don't expect bad things to happen to them or will not immediately process actions as real, and will chalk up the situation (no matter how crazy it might be) to something that is normal. These people will go to extravagant lengths in their mind to try to prove to their brain that what they are seeing is completely normal. "Yeah, it's just a training exercise! Yeah, it's just a toy gun!"

But you know what would break that normalcy bias? Gunshots. Everyone knows what those sound like and most people will snap into action and act accordingly. I'm not saying a person needs to just fire up into the air or anything to clear everyone out, but from what it sounds like, it sounds like the LTC holder prevented more people from being hurt, and that's all that matters. Just pulling a firearm in that situation caused the guy to stop. That's all that needed to happen.

Look at the horrific attacks last summer on Dallas Police at the BLM march? I still can vividly see all of those people immediately breaking that normalcy bias of the march and taking action in the form of running away when the gunshots started.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

MrMcCullster wrote:It is horrible what happened today in Texas. Not only at UT, but in Dallas as well. First it was the AR15 carrier in Dallas around I-30 and Reynolds Road. And then while that is unfolding, the stabbing incident at UT happened.

I am very sorry for families of those involved in this. This is horrible. And my thoughts go out to the families of those who were lost today over what? Stressed out over finals? Random hatred? Pure evil? And now a mother and father has to be told their son/daughter won't come home tonight.

That's what everyone should do first, is mourn the loss of these kids who had a whole life ahead of them.

I'd seen the response from the leader of the Cocks Not Glocks movement on Twitter/Facebook, and she happened to mention that firing a gun in that crowded of a location would have sent everyone into a panic.

After seeing one of the news interviews of a young lady right after it happened, I noticed a few things from what she said. She said they heard a couple of people scream behind her while she was in line, and thought they were just getting chased by a friend (like tag or something). They saw a guy with a large 7 inch knife with a curve on it walking around. They thought he was just fooling around. He approached people sitting at a bench while they ate and slammed the knife into the table and glared at them, and then proceeded to stab a guy in the kidney who walked by. She went on to say that at this point she still thought it was just a prank, that this guy was just fooling around, and she was just waiting for him to do the "A-HA!" moment, and for the guy to come clean like he's in some Improv Everywhere class. "Gotcha guys! It's just a rubber knife and this is just ketchup!" At this time he proceeded to grab someone's shoulder and stab them in the neck."

That sounds an awful lot like "normalcy bias". That normal people don't expect bad things to happen to them or will not immediately process actions as real, and will chalk up the situation (no matter how crazy it might be) to something that is normal. These people will go to extravagant lengths in their mind to try to prove to their brain that what they are seeing is completely normal. "Yeah, it's just a training exercise! Yeah, it's just a toy gun!"

But you know what would break that normalcy bias? Gunshots. Everyone knows what those sound like and most people will snap into action and act accordingly. I'm not saying a person needs to just fire up into the air or anything to clear everyone out, but from what it sounds like, it sounds like the LTC holder prevented more people from being hurt, and that's all that matters. Just pulling a firearm in that situation caused the guy to stop. That's all that needed to happen.

Look at the horrific attacks last summer on Dallas Police at the BLM march? I still can vividly see all of those people immediately breaking that normalcy bias of the march and taking action in the form of running away when the gunshots started.

:iagree:

I harp and harp on my sons, daughter, and wife to stay focused, pay attention, and never assume something is not really happening. These things are not telegraphed in advance, but people, who have never been trained, or been involved in a violent encounter, allow their brain to tell them it's not real, even when it's happening.

And yes gunshots do tend to get people's attention, but there have also been so many instances, where, gunshots were fired, and people allowed themselves to believe it was firecrackers, car backfires, or even someone firing blanks, and they froze in place, or ignored it.

Being vigilant, and keeping your SA, is crucial, in any setting, but especially, in a crowded place.

I too pray for the family of the young man who was killed, as well as full recovery for those injured. From news reports I have heard, the attacker was a mentally unstable person who was on several anti-depressants, but I will wait until further info is obtained before commenting.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

WTR wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Just watched a press conference given by the chief of TUPD. He credits his Officers quick action and knows nothing of a LTC holder stopping the attacks.
I cannot find any creditable corroboration that an LTC holder was involved.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

oohrah wrote:
WTR wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
I cannot find any creditable corroboration that an LTC holder was involved.
:iagree:
Ironically, during my search, I did find two credible instances ( one on Austin and one in San Antonio) where a LTC holder had stepped in and prevented a person from being stabbed and killed.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Prayers for all involved and their families. A lot of lives have been shaken by this.

Even if an LTC holder did step in to stop it, it would never be reported as such from Austin. The Chief of police wold indeed give his department the credit as would all of MOM's and the rest of the leftist's.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “The Crime Blotter”