Shootout at Greenville dealership leaves 3 dead

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shootout at Greenville dealership leaves 3 dead

Post by bblhd672 »

MechAg94 wrote:
Liberty wrote:I don't understand. Someone comes in, not wearing a uniform or anything that says police, with guns drawn. Doesn't the fugitive have a right to defend himself?
If they all survived, that question and others would be a lot more prominent.

Is a fugitive from justice who hasn't been convicted of a felony (yet) prohibited by law from possessing a gun?
http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/31/in ... rontation/
Minnesota court records indicate Hutchinson has two previous felony convictions in the state: one in 2000 and the other in 2003.
Twice convicted felon, should not have had a gun in Texas or any other state he was hiding in.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I understand he we could be be charged with having the weapon. But could he be charged with shooting the bondsmen?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Liberty wrote:I don't understand. Someone comes in, not wearing a uniform or anything that says police, with guns drawn. Doesn't the fugitive have a right to defend himself?
Not if you are a felon and can't possess a firearm. I am sure they identified themselves as they were attempting to take him into custody; you can kinda hear that in the video.

Penal code 9 defines what force can be used to apprehend by those other than peace officers or those acting at a peace officers direction. it also lays out that use of force is not justifiable to resist arrest unless the use of force is over the amount necessary to apprehend the individual. So, if you are a fugitive from justice, you don't really have the right to defend yourself from being taken in.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... m/PE.9.htm
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

:iagree:

While I don't want anyone to get away with crime. I can only put myself in his position. If I was surrounded by people who may want to kill me all my life, I might also react by grabbing my gun to defend myself. Without knowing what was said, if anything, the fact that someone came at me with drawn guns, would put me into survival mode. I have never been a criminal so if someone walked up and said I am here to take you back for skipping bail, I would at least know their intentions.
If I then tried to draw a gun, I would know what the potential consequences would be.
JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

dlh

Post by dlh »

Hard to tell from the shaky video but appears there is a woman seated near the thug. The bounty hunters may not have lit him up early on worried they would hit her--who knows.

The dealership, I bet, has much better fixed camera video of this incident that law enforcement has examined. I doubt it will be released to the public.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

Jusme wrote:

:iagree:

While I don't want anyone to get away with crime. I can only put myself in his position. If I was surrounded by people who may want to kill me all my life, I might also react by grabbing my gun to defend myself. Without knowing what was said, if anything, the fact that someone came at me with drawn guns, would put me into survival mode. I have never been a criminal so if someone walked up and said I am here to take you back for skipping bail, I would at least know their intentions.
If I then tried to draw a gun, I would know what the potential consequences would be.
JMHO
Of course if you were a two time convicted felon fugitive, you might be taking a small chance of bad interactions with law enforcement or law abiding individuals by carrying a handgun in violation of state and federal law.

Which actually is why I think it is stupid to make it a crime for convicted felons to wear body armor, which it IS in Texas.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “The Crime Blotter”