Shootout at Greenville dealership leaves 3 dead

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Shootout at Greenville dealership leaves 3 dead

Post by ScottDLS »

howdy wrote:What right does a bounty hunter have to be armed and to draw his weapon like that BEFORE the guy presents a threat? We could not get away with doing that. (oh this guy might be a threat so I will draw my handgun just in case)
Maybe they were executing a Felony citizens arrest... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RossA »

Somewhere else I read that the bounty hunters had gone to the dealership earlier that day on a tip that the bad guy and his girlfriend were there. Bounty hunters ID'ed themselves as federal agents, which was clearly false, and a crime in itself. Looks like three bad guys met their fate.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

ELB

Post by ELB »

howdy wrote:What right does a bounty hunter have to be armed and to draw his weapon like that BEFORE the guy presents a threat? We could not get away with doing that. (oh this guy might be a threat so I will draw my handgun just in case)
He has the same right to be armed as anyone else. Hard to see all the details in the video, but as I understand it the fugitive started to draw his gun as they approached and that's when one of the bounty hunter's drew his pistol.

The hunters had ballistic vests. In their car.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/us/b ... paper&_r=0

According to this article, one of the things the fugitive was charged with was assaulting and disarming a police officer.
http://www.redstate.com/streiff/2017/06 ... deo-video/
USAF 1982-2005

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

ELB wrote:Man, not just in the dealership, but in a tiny office with two other people trapped, and two or three more in the next office over. Amazing nobody else got hurt.'

And whoever was running the cell phone knew something was about to happen, I wonder if that was a dealership employee or customer, or someone with the "bounty hunters?"
The story link I saw from facebook indicated the bounty hunters entered the dealership claiming to be federal agents. Maybe they decided to start video based on that.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

What completely baffles me is the two bounty hunters had their guns drawn and trained on him before he drew. He then proceeded to draw and drop his weapon, before picking it up and getting the first shots of the confrontation off.

My point being, if you feel the need to pull your gun, you need to be prepared to use it. Their hesitation killed them. Realize they were trying to subdue him, regardless when the time to shoot comes you need to be committed and shoot.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

MechAg94 wrote:
ELB wrote:Man, not just in the dealership, but in a tiny office with two other people trapped, and two or three more in the next office over. Amazing nobody else got hurt.'

And whoever was running the cell phone knew something was about to happen, I wonder if that was a dealership employee or customer, or someone with the "bounty hunters?"
The story link I saw from facebook indicated the bounty hunters entered the dealership claiming to be federal agents. Maybe they decided to start video based on that.
Sometimes US government deputizes contractors or local LEO's as Federal agents for working on fugitive task forces.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

• The 'bounty hunters' had a lapse in judgment when they chose to take him down in a populated business location...
  • The dealership management had a lapse in judgment when they allowed it to happen on their premises...
  • The fugitive had at least one lapse in judgment getting himself in the 'fugitive' category to begin with...
Looks to me like the only ones present NOT responsible in some way were the poor folks there to buy a car and the schmuck running the grease rack...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

SigM4 wrote:What completely baffles me is the two bounty hunters had their guns drawn and trained on him before he drew. He then proceeded to draw and drop his weapon, before picking it up and getting the first shots of the confrontation off.

My point being, if you feel the need to pull your gun, you need to be prepared to use it. Their hesitation killed them. Realize they were trying to subdue him, regardless when the time to shoot comes you need to be committed and shoot.
A dead body gets no bounty. I would think this would have factored into the slight delay in them shooting.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

steveincowtown wrote:
SigM4 wrote:What completely baffles me is the two bounty hunters had their guns drawn and trained on him before he drew. He then proceeded to draw and drop his weapon, before picking it up and getting the first shots of the confrontation off.

A dead body gets no bounty. I would think this would have factored into the slight delay in them shooting.
My understanding is that they get a "body receipt" either way (though I assume dead is probably not they way they'd like it), as a result they're paid regardless.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I had a friend in high school who was working in a sandwich place in NC in 1983. AN armed robber entered, pulled a pistol and grabbed his coworker (a young woman). He then produced handcuffs and locked my buddy to the toilet in the bathroom. After a struggle the girl got the gun and ran in and gave it to my buddy. My friend shot the handcuffs off with the .38 snubby (yes he really did this, it was in the police report). He then ran to the guy who said he wanted his gun back and made to get it. My friend answered by shooting him twice in the torso. Bad guy made it halfway out the door then bled out. Blood was "gushing out of his mouth" as my friend described it.

Almost a year later a US Postal Inspection Service agent came to the sandwich shop and told my buddy and the young woman who got the gun from the guy that they were eligible for a $10,000 reward because the man was wanted for robbing post offices. Agent told them they would have gotten more except that he was dead. Supposedly the agent said: "Sorry it's not wanted dead or alive anymore"... :shock:

stroo

Post by stroo »

SigM4 - Good point. After the watching the video a few times, it is clear that the bounty hunters had their guns trained on the fugitive, saw him both grab his gun and fumble with and didn't fire until he shot one of them in the chest, looked like a heart shot.

If you are going to carry a gun and pull a gun in self defense, you better be prepared to use it!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't understand. Someone comes in, not wearing a uniform or anything that says police, with guns drawn. Doesn't the fugitive have a right to defend himself?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Liberty wrote:I don't understand. Someone comes in, not wearing a uniform or anything that says police, with guns drawn. Doesn't the fugitive have a right to defend himself?
If they all survived, that question and others would be a lot more prominent.

Is a fugitive from justice who hasn't been convicted of a felony (yet) prohibited by law from possessing a gun?

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

In Texas, if you have a LTC (which I'm betting this guy didn't have), the license is suspended if you are charged with a crime.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I would imagine bail has firearm restrictions.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”