Van burglary gone wrong - San Antonio

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 2

Van burglary gone wrong - San Antonio

Post by johncanfield »

Full story here: https://www.ksat.com/news/police-to-dec ... ed-burglar

"San Antonio police will have to decide whether to file criminal charges against the owner of a van who shot and killed a car-burglary suspect............Police said the owner was in the back seat when he fired two shots after Rangel allegedly opened the door. The second shot was fired as Rangel was running away, police said."

It was a good shoot until #2 went off :shock: . My guess is this will wind up with an indictment against the shooter/victim. I pray I'll never be in a position where I need to figure out how many rounds is enough.

(If this has been posted somewhere on the forum please lock, sorry.)
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Van burglary gone wrong - San Antonio

Post by Flightmare »

Not that it applies to the situation from a legal standpoint, but I have to ask....why was the owner in the back seat of the parked car?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Flightmare wrote:Not that it applies to the situation from a legal standpoint, but I have to ask....why was the owner in the back seat of the parked car?
Being a van he may have pulled over for a short nap especially if he was traveling. We used to pull over at road side parks or parking lots and take a short nap when traveling long distances. It is no longer safe in my mind to do that. I don't even feel real comfortable stopping at Walmart and sleep a few hours in the RV (we do still do this, but very little).

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Flightmare wrote:Not that it applies to the situation from a legal standpoint, but I have to ask....why was the owner in the back seat of the parked car?

there's a lot of speculation on the FB pages of the news feeds that there is more to this story. KENS was saying he was in the passenger seat, this one is saying he was in the backseat....who knows where he was? it sounds like he was alone, I don't know....was it a drug deal gone bad with the victim? Or was he just trying to catch some sleep, if so, there was a motel right next door, he could have saved some $.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

One conclusion I've reached after watching the early morning San Antonio news for about 10 years is that most overnight shootings are either drug and/or gang related. In fact it would unusual if there wasn't at least one shooting as the lead story.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Insufficient Data

Judgement on this will have to wait until more facts are available.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Van owner who shot alleged burglar had no need to use deadly force, investigators say
http://www.ksat.com/news/van-owner-who- ... ith-murder

Not looking good for the Van Owner. Original story mentioned he had been a robbery victim before and he was just protecting his property. That led me to think he may have been baiting and looking for trouble and or vengeance. But i can only speculate what his thinking or motives were.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Would be nice to see the surveillance video, would allow me to make my own decision about the situation. Unfortutenaly as it is stated, it sounds like he overstepped. I wonder if both shots were at the robbery suspect after fleeing to his car, or if one at the van and a second one in the car. Either way, he shot someone fleeing who had not actually stolen anything from the way it sounds.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I thought there was more to the story...it just sounded "off"....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “The Crime Blotter”