Houston Man Makes Citizens Arrest on Suspected DUI

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Houston Man Makes Citizens Arrest on Suspected DUI

Post by WildBill »

Alejandro Fernandez was driving his Venezuelan relatives around Houston,
Texas when they encountered an erratically-driven Ford Mustang
Fernandez followed suspected drunk driver Sirkon Ash through the streets
Fernandez caught up with Ash in a parking lot and dragged him out of the car
He performed a citizen's arrest, restraining Ash until Houston police came
Police say Ash's breathalyzer showed that he was driving under the influence
http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/regi ... river.html

https://www.click2houston.com/news/vide ... tic-driver
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston Man Makes Citizens Arrest on Suspected DUI

Post by Jusme »

Good for him, but that is a dangerous thing to attempt. The drunk may have also had a gun, and it could have turned out very badly.
Back about 15 years ago, I was going to work when a car almost sideswiped me, as it passed, on I-20. They were all over the road, and they just happened to take the same exit as I did, and pulled into a 7-11. It was two young women, and they got out and staggered into the store. This was about 6 a.m. I parked my truck behind them so they couldn't drive away and called Arlington PD. The girls came out and began yelling at me to move, but I told the them that the police were on their way, and I would move when they arrived. They then began crying and begging, which did no good either. When the police arrived, I told him what had happened, and pointed out the one who was driving. He had me write a statement about what I had seen, and he spoke to the store clerk. They both went to jail. I assume the passenger for public intoxication, and the driver for DUI. I was never contacted for any testimony, so I don't know the outcome. But, I would not ever attempt to drag someone from their car. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Jusme wrote:Good for him, but that is a dangerous thing to attempt. The drunk may have also had a gun, and it could have turned out very badly.
... But, I would not ever attempt to drag someone from their car. JMHO
:iagree: I would do something to impede his ability to leave the scene of a crime, but not necessarily drag him out of a vehicle. I'd likely of grabbed the keys.

Nonetheless, it is nice to see strangers care about the well being of others in the face of an incident.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I was ready to condemn his actions, but I see that he did what he thought was absolutely necessary because of a busy public parking lot. I will give him benefit of the doubt, that at the time, it was the only thing he could do to stop the immediate threat. He may have truly saved one or more lives. I applaud him.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Barring some extreme circumstances, I would not have done this, especially with my family in my vehicle. I would definitely call 911. Definitely follow him and keep LEO's updated on his location. I would also likely attempt to block his car when he stopped. But I would only lay hands on the guy in a very extreme situation.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

About 17-18 years ago, I followed a drunk from 25 miles into Oklahoma to Gainesville Texas talking to the police/Highway patrol dispatcher, a total of about 45 minutes and waited about 20 minutes after he walked into a house, with ZERO Police response. NOT OHP, NOT DPS, NOT COUNTY, NOT CITY PD.

Totally brought out a full blown MAD. More so because I used to be LE.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Bad enough for police to arrest someone these days without incident or lawsuit. Citizens arrest? No thanks. I'll call 911 and let the guys and gals trained and paid to do enforcement of law make the arrest. Only way I'd meddle is if my life is in imminent danger, and trailing a drunk driver ain't it. Besides, what if this was a diabetic emergency? Not easy to know difference unless you have some medical training. Glad nobody got hurt. Foolish.

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

FYI, not that it would have made any difference in this incident, but this is the driver's third DUI arrest.
NRA Endowment Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

WildBill wrote:FYI, not that it would have made any difference in this incident, but this is the driver's third DUI arrest.
With the fourth soon to follow I'm sure. :banghead:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “The Crime Blotter”