Finland attack: 2 killed in Turku stabbing spree

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Finland attack: 2 killed in Turku stabbing spree

Post by Flightmare »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/18/europe/fi ... index.html
At least two people were killed and six others hospitalized Friday in a stabbing attack at two markets in the Finnish city of Turku, police said.
Officers took a suspect into custody after shooting him in the leg, police said. Friday night, state broadcaster YLE reported police had taken several other suspects into custody.
Wait, are they saying that in a European country that a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy? Say it isn't so!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Finland attack: 2 killed in Turku stabbing spree

Post by crazy2medic »

Shooting him in the leg? So was he aiming for center mass and that is where he just happened to hit him?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 6

Post by bmwrdr »

crazy2medic wrote:Shooting him in the leg? So was he aiming for center mass and that is where he just happened to hit him?
Most police and military is trained to aim for the legs to disable if the aggressor is just lightly armed. The goal is to disable the suspect. They are also not allowed to use hollow point ammo, FMJ only in accordance to the Geneva conventions.
Sounds crazy but that's what it is over there.
The suspect in this case targeted woman to have an easy target. I wish they would have been armed and teach the coward a lesson.

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/ne ... -1.3424561
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

bmwrdr wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:Shooting him in the leg? So was he aiming for center mass and that is where he just happened to hit him?
Most police and military is trained to aim for the legs to disable if the aggressor is just lightly armed. The goal is to disable the suspect. They are also not allowed to use hollow point ammo, FMJ only in accordance to the Geneva conventions.
Sounds crazy but that's what it is over there.
The suspect in this case targeted woman to have an easy target. I wish they would have been armed and teach the coward a lesson.

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/ne ... -1.3424561
I borrowed this from another forum because it explains far better than I can:
The US military is not presently using hollow points in conventional force units. The US Army is considering by testing the use of Hollow Points in their new sidearm. It is understood when under NATO treaties, NATO countries will abide by Hague Convention of 1899. The US is one of major powers that did not agree to this portion of Hague Conventions. see below

The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that are prohibited by the Hague Convention and the United Nations.

The United States is one of few major powers that did not agree to IV,3 of the Hague Convention of 1899, thus able to use this kind of ammunition in warfare. The US Army has mentioned that they consider using the ammunition for stock sidearms, plans set in 2018.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

bmwrdr wrote: Most police and military is trained to aim for the legs to disable if the aggressor is just lightly armed.
Please tell us what department or military unit you believe has this as a policy or training standard.

or perhaps your speaking about non US military and civilian police?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

Interesting, I was under the belief that FMJ was prescribed for use during conventional warfare, but terrorist not being soldiers but considered criminals, that the use of hollow points was acceptable as they are not enemy combatants and not covered under the rules of the Geneva convention.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Only FMJ is deployed in Europes military and police forces leaning on the Geneva conventions.
They are using water canons at out of controle demonstrations at some points tear gas and CS gas is used.
The use of hollow point ammo is explicitely ruled out by the lawmakers of EU and EU countries.
How the Geneva conventions are assembled is a different story.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The Us Military does not use expanding "hollow point" ammunition.

We do use open tip ammunition, as it is not open to create an expanding bullet to cause addition wound damage, It is an open tip design used to make the round more accurate.
MK262 MOD 0 and MOD 1 is an open tip bullet approved for combat use, though generally limited to designated marksmen as they re consider the ones in need of a "more accurate" cartridge.
5539014_02_mk_262_mod_1_match_5_56_nato_7_640[1].jpg
Mk262-Mod1-3[1].jpg
In 7.62 mm it would be the M118LR or MK316 MOD 0
Also a Sierra Match Kink open tip bullet used.
bmwrdr wrote:Only FMJ is deployed in Europes military and police forces leaning on the Geneva conventions.
They are using water canons at out of controle demonstrations at some points tear gas and CS gas is used.
The use of hollow point ammo is explicitely ruled out by the lawmakers of EU and EU countries.
How the Geneva conventions are assembled is a different story.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

Interesting, that match king bullet is known as a BTHP. HP for hollow point.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

WTR wrote:Interesting, that match king bullet is known as a BTHP. HP for hollow point.
The "Hollow point" of the Match king is stated to be for accuracy, with no design intent for "explosive expansion"
All MatchKing have a hollow point design with a very small meplat for high ballistic coefficient.
And The SMK is noted as not intnded for hunting
"MatchKing Bullets: This is the classification for Sierra's pre-eminent target bullets. "
"While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications."
I can say, they do a fine job when used as the Army intended

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I use the Federal 168 gr BTHP in my .308. Very accurate with a high BC. Great for head shots when "hunting". Wonder what use the army usies them for. Symantic!

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

WTR wrote:I Wonder what use the army usies them for.
See MK316 MOD 0 and MK262 MOD1 :biggrinjester:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I consider sniper ammo hunting ammo.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

E.Marquez wrote:
bmwrdr wrote: Most police and military is trained to aim for the legs to disable if the aggressor is just lightly armed.
Please tell us what department or military unit you believe has this as a policy or training standard.

According to Google Maps, Turku Finland isn't in the United States.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

E.Marquez wrote:

In context to the topic title in Europe. The US standards are different of course.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”