But what if ...

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: But what if ...

Post by Liberty »

It would be a very dangerous thing to do. If there were anyone left in the home they would have every legal right to blow away those entering the house. I don't think Texas has a definition for looting. But we do make it clear we have a right to defend our property against break ins with deadly force.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

How well do you know your neighbors?
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I think the key to your question is, do you have a legal right to be in the other house? If your neighbors evacuated and gave you permission to take shelter in their home, that is one thing. If on the other hand, you're occupying someone else's residence without permission, then you are trespassing. IANAL though.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

george wrote:I did not want to divert the looting thread. But I do have a question.

Suppose the roof blew off my home, and we had no power, and our stores (emergency supplies) were compromised.
I take my family to another house on the block, whose owners have evacuated prior to the storm.

Am I a "looter", or someone in a desperate situation, trying to keep my family alive?
As long as you're not stealing anything, then no, you are not a looter. You are however a trespasser, and subject to breaking and entering charges, as well as deadly force. Of course, if you know the homeowner and they've given you permission it's a moot point.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

george wrote:Am I a "looter", or someone in a desperate situation, trying to keep my family alive?
The two are not mutually exclusive. I also disagree with people who say you're trespassing if you break in. If you go into your neighbor's fenced back yard without their consent and camp there, that's trespassing. If you break into their house and take their food, that's something more serious.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

What if...the house is empty and water getting too high to stay in your house any longer and the vacant house is two story?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

You could always claim you work for the Government and you are exercising imminent domain.

You don't have, but someone else has what you want or need just take it and make sure to vote democrat. :smilelol5:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

But what if...a stuff strikes the fan scenario had occurred and you have failed to properly prepare for your family, now your family is hungry and thirsty. Your neighbor has prepared and has the necessary food and water to sustain his family during the emergency. The neighbor refuses to compromise his family's security and give you some of his family's supplies.
Do you take it by force?

No it's not the same thing the OP asked, but at the base level the question is the same. How far into law breaking will you go to save your family when you have failed to provide properly in the first place?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

spectre wrote:
george wrote:Am I a "looter", or someone in a desperate situation, trying to keep my family alive?
The two are not mutually exclusive. I also disagree with people who say you're trespassing if you break in. If you go into your neighbor's fenced back yard without their consent and camp there, that's trespassing. If you break into their house and take their food, that's something more serious.

Only if your intent is to deprive the legal owners of property.( i.e. commit burglary)
I don't know that anyone would begrudge you for seeking safety and shelter for you and your family, but, it could be difficult to explain, if prior consent was not given. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and while I don't know if you would face legal ramifications, but your "what if" may be what if I do? Is it worth the risk, of possibly being charged with a crime, more important than getting you and your family, to safety? JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

:roll:

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Apparently you are fine if you just say that you are a "scavenger", not a looter. :mad5

But please, as a law abiding scavenger, do not ignore the "do not scavenge" signs :rules:
Authorities in the Houston enclave of Bellaire say people who have suffered losses from Harvey are complaining about scavengers descending on their neighborhoods, picking through flood-damaged items piled up in front of their homes.
Police Chief Byron Holloway is asking residents drying items they hope to salvage to not place them by debris intended for trash and to put them instead closer to their homes.
He's also suggesting that people put signs out advising they don't want their items taken, though he acknowledges that may not stop some scavengers.
http://www.fox4news.com/news/texas/278376700-story
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “The Crime Blotter”