shot 16 times and lives

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
stever1950
Junior Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

shot 16 times and lives

Postby stever1950 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 am

https://www.click2houston.com/news/vict ... uston-home

Good thing the perp doesn't understand shot placement.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams


jayinsat
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: shot 16 times and lives

Postby jayinsat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:06 pm

I wonder what caliber he was shot with.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts: 5662
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: shot 16 times and lives

Postby ELB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:07 pm

The linked story says:

A man survived being shot up to 16 times ...


"up to" to me means they don't know, they just think there were 16 shots fired and some of them hit him. I think good chance the actual number of hits might be somewhat lower.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

Excaliber
Moderator
Posts: 5508
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: DFW Metro

Re: shot 16 times and lives

Postby Excaliber » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:22 pm

ELB wrote:The linked story says:

A man survived being shot up to 16 times ...


"up to" to me means they don't know, they just think there were 16 shots fired and some of them hit him. I think good chance the actual number of hits might be somewhat lower.


It might also mean that they found 16 holes and aren't sure which are entries and which are exits.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22730
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Contact:

Re: shot 16 times and lives

Postby The Annoyed Man » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Excaliber wrote:
ELB wrote:The linked story says:

A man survived being shot up to 16 times ...


"up to" to me means they don't know, they just think there were 16 shots fired and some of them hit him. I think good chance the actual number of hits might be somewhat lower.

It might also mean that they found 16 holes and aren't sure which are entries and which are exits.

....which would be pretty typical with .22 LR, in which an exit wound looks about like an entrance wound. Also, it can sometimes be difficult to actually find and locate in 3D space any .22 caliber bullets that are still in the body. So you never really know at first whether 16 holes means 8 bullets, 16 bullets, or some combination thereof. I once treated a patient who was shot in the buttocks with a .22 LR, and we could find no exit wound, and no obvious signs of other internal injuries. He was alert and oriented and his vitals were stable, although he was quite a bit butthurt. As he was under arrest at the time, he was transferred to the jail floor at County Hospital. Upon arrival, he took a turn for the worse and he was rushed into a trauma room. There, they finally located the bullet......just under the crown of his skull, where his cerebral hematoma was forming.....hours later.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3804
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: shot 16 times and lives

Postby Jusme » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:37 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
ELB wrote:The linked story says:

A man survived being shot up to 16 times ...


"up to" to me means they don't know, they just think there were 16 shots fired and some of them hit him. I think good chance the actual number of hits might be somewhat lower.

It might also mean that they found 16 holes and aren't sure which are entries and which are exits.

....which would be pretty typical with .22 LR, in which an exit wound looks about like an entrance wound. Also, it can sometimes be difficult to actually find and locate in 3D space any .22 caliber bullets that are still in the body. So you never really know at first whether 16 holes means 8 bullets, 16 bullets, or some combination thereof. I once treated a patient who was shot in the buttocks with a .22 LR, and we could find no exit wound, and no obvious signs of other internal injuries. He was alert and oriented and his vitals were stable, although he was quite a bit butthurt. As he was under arrest at the time, he was transferred to the jail floor at County Hospital. Upon arrival, he took a turn for the worse and he was rushed into a trauma room. There, they finally located the bullet......just under the crown of his skull, where his cerebral hematoma was forming.....hours later.



:iagree:

Worked a case as a LEO, where a guy bought a 25 acp, at a pawn shop. also bought ammo. Loaded the gun while in his car, and somehow accidentally shot himself, in the right side ribs. The bullet struck a rib, moved upward where it struck his shoulder blade, and exited under his left arm pit. He was able to drive himself to the hospital emergency room, where the police were called as a matter of protocol. I got to see the entrance and exit wounds, and they were indistinguishable from each other. The x-ray showed the path that the bullet took, somehow missing any major organs or arteries, just leaving a trail of minute lead particles. I took the gun into evidence, and gave him the receipt for it. I told him that he could pick it up at the PD, if there were no other extenuating circumstances. He said for us to just keep it, he didn't want it back. As far as I know, it is still in the evidence room.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


Return to “The Crime Blotter”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests