Armed good Samaritan stopped Hike-and-Bike trail sex assault, affidavit says

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mescobar_rpls
Posts in topic: 1

Armed good Samaritan stopped Hike-and-Bike trail sex assault, affidavit says

Post by mescobar_rpls »

http://kvue.tv/2wGThzs

I am surprised that they reported the details of the Good Samaritan. I am glad he was there and was prepared. From the police press conference, the police said that the victim got up and came between the Good Samaritan and the perpetrator. The perpetrator then ran.

Mike S

Re: Armed good Samaritan stopped Hike-and-Bike trail sex assault, affidavit says

Post by Mike S »

Thank you for posting this, and Praise God for armed citizens that aren't afraid to be good human beings. Praying for an emotional recovery for the victim (and likely some needed for all that stopped to assist).

allisji

Re: Armed good Samaritan stopped Hike-and-Bike trail sex assault, affidavit says

Post by allisji »

It sounded like they were asking people whether or not they would consider the good Samaritan as a hero, and that one woman hesitated. "I would think so, because he stopped a woman from probably being raped."

I could almost sense that the woman was conflicted in calling the man a hero, likely in a liberal center like Austin she is anti-gun and anti-concealed carry. And with the amount of sexual violence that occurs in college cities and on college campuses, and the amount of outrage in Austin over campus carry, this event could really damage their narrative. I bet that the girl who was being attacked on the trail is glad that the good guy had a gun and not a sex toy.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Emphasis added:
The affidavit said he put his hand over her mouth and repeatedly said, "shh, it's me baby, it's me" as she tried to scream and use a whistle to call for help.
ETA:
I wonder Chief Acevedo would care to comment...?
USAF 1982-2005

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

ELB wrote:Emphasis added:
The affidavit said he put his hand over her mouth and repeatedly said, "shh, it's me baby, it's me" as she tried to scream and use a whistle to call for help.
ETA:
I wonder Chief Acevedo would care to comment...?
Unfortunately, that is all that is legal in the UK.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Here we have another violent attack incident where the attacker only stopped when confronted with the immediate threat of deadly force, and a lot of history that shows that the threatened or actual use of deadly force is more effective than anything else in ending violent attacks.

At the same time we see the politically crippled police completely miss (or deliberately distract from) the obvious by advising runners to carry flashlights and not listen to iPods on the trail, while conspicuously neglecting to advise them to do the only thing that actually helps in these situations - carry an effective weapon (preferably a firearm or at least a fighting knife) and be prepared to use it.

In my opinion this omission is nothing less than professional malpractice and a major disservice to the people this agency is paid to protect.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Here is another good example on how having a light with your or on you carry gun is a good idea. I carry both a pocket light and weapon light on my g19. Glad the guy stopped that attack.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

Excaliber wrote:...
At the same time we see the politically crippled police completely miss (or deliberately distract from) the obvious by advising runners to carry flashlights and not listen to iPods on the trail, while conspicuously neglecting to advise them to do the only thing that actually helps in these situations - carry an effective weapon (preferably a firearm or at least a fighting knife) and be prepared to use it.
I absolutely agree, but maybe now that Acevedo is gone they are making small bit of progress? I was really surprised to read this from the Assistant Chief:
Chacon thanked Williams and other joggers who cared enough to stop and help. He said many people would have chosen not to get involved, which may have contributed to the number of unsolved sexual assault cases in the past few years.
Usually the police spokesman or brass give a half-hearted praise followed up with "We don't recommend blah blah let the police handle it etc etc."

I was also surprised that the article did not say anything about a LTC. I don't know whether this is an oversight, an attempt to not give press to LTCs, or it's just become natural to assume he had an LTC.
USAF 1982-2005

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ELB wrote:
Excaliber wrote:...
I absolutely agree, but maybe now that Acevedo is gone they are making small bit of progress? I was really surprised to read this from the Assistant Chief:
Chacon thanked Williams and other joggers who cared enough to stop and help. He said many people would have chosen not to get involved, which may have contributed to the number of unsolved sexual assault cases in the past few years.
Usually the police spokesman or brass give a half-hearted praise followed up with "We don't recommend blah blah let the police handle it etc etc."

I was also surprised that the article did not say anything about a LTC. I don't know whether this is an oversight, an attempt to not give press to LTCs, or it's just become natural to assume he had an LTC.
One possibility is that the guy didn't have an LTC, but the Austin LEO's decided to let that slide given the circumstances. Given that this is Austin, that possibility is likely zero, but it is a possibility.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”