West Houston: Family Dispute Leads to Homicide One Block from my Home

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

West Houston: Family Dispute Leads to Homicide One Block from my Home

Post by Vol Texan »

Late this afternoon, I was getting ready to leave the house. I needed to go pick up my wife at work, so we could go to the airport to collect my daughter who was arriving home from a week-long school field trip to Colorado.

I saw a constable car drive by at high speed out my front window. This isn't too unusual, since I live on a cut-through street in my neighborhood, and the constables have a local station in the shopping center at the opening to my block. But then another went by, followed by an HPD unit, a fire truck, another HPD unit, and an ambulance. By this time, I was paying more attention, notably to the fact that they were not taking the left turn at the end of my block (which leads them out of the neighborhood). Instead, it sounded like they were continuing straight on toward the cul-de-sac at the end of the next block.

I looked outside, and noticed that several of my neighbors were already outside, standing at the end of their sidewalks, looking toward the end of our street. I didn't have much time to waste, so I figured I'd take a glance that direction as I left to pick up my wife. I grabbed my keys, ready to set the alarm, and my phone rang.

It was the patrol supervisor for our neighborhood constable patrol. He's a buddy of mine, and he knows I run the HOA's message board (sort of like this CHL Forum, but the topics of conversation are not as interesting as they are here). He usually sends us regular updates to share on our message board to let everyone know what's happening in the neighborhood with respect to crime stats, constable activity, etc. Today, he was off with his son at football practice, but he'd been on the phone with the local units down the street from my house. He wanted to get a quick message off to our HOA to allay any concerns the neighbors might have. He knows that lack of information leads folks to think the worst might be happening, and he didn't want anyone to be worried about an active manhunt in the neighborhood. He wanted to let everyone know that it was an isolated incident that was under control.

So I posted the following on our message board:
Vol Texan wrote:Precinct 5, HPD and HFD have responded to an incident at a home on the 12300 block of Westella Drive. They have one subject in custody, and will likely be investigating for some time.
This was not a robbery, etc...rather this was an isolated incident in this one house - likely a domestic dispute gone wrong.
I wrote that in a hurry, because I needed to get out the door to pick up my family. But it wasn't long before the news story broke. As you read the minimal information provided in the following news stories, remember two things:
  • Evil can strike anywhere, even in a quiet little suburban neighborhood
  • Guns don't kill people, people do (whether they have access to a gun or not). It was a knife in this instance. One person is dead, and another in ICU.
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/police-m ... /479709160
http://abc13.com/man-accused-of-killing ... n/2470016/
http://www.fox26houston.com/news/west-h ... estigation
http://cw39.com/2017/09/29/hpd-son-kill ... t-houston/
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Re: West Houston: Family Dispute Leads to Homicide One Block from my Home

Post by johncanfield »

Even in our little community in the western part of the Hill Country stuff like that happens. One of the guys that used to help trap antelope on our ranch met an untimely death from a round fired by his wife. Word was they "fought like cats and dogs" and were both probably drunk. Very sad, it's not a perfect world.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Return to “The Crime Blotter”