CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts: 5519
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby philip964 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10 ... appen.html

No that won't happen, it's just what the law says.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby Lynyrd » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:03 pm

I would call the first person who complained, an it.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby KLB » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 pm

For future reference, my personal pronoun is "His royal personage, King of Bexar, Lord of the Edwards Plateau, and Duke of Earl."

User avatar

JustSomeOldGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby JustSomeOldGuy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 pm

from the article cited in the OP;

Wiener's office noted that violations for residential care facilities under existing law rarely resulted in criminal charges, especially for minor violations. Criminal penalties are meant more for violations that expose a patient to risk of death or serious harm, his office said.


A year in jail sounds like a criminal penalty to me, and off the top of my (bald) head, I can't imagine a situation where a life hangs in the balance because the (vanity) pronoun of choice isn't used. However, from where I'm sitting, at least some California judges aren't exactly known for following the law.........

This whole thing is dumber than the clothes we wore in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Given all of California's REAL problems, their legislators time would be better spent on other things......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby Flightmare » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 pm

Government penalty for words spoken. If only there was a way we could prevent government from punishing someone for what they say. Perhaps a constitutional amendment? :rules:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16558
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 am

The first time this law is challenged in federal court, it will be struck down as unconstitutional.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

SQLGeek
Senior Member
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:48 am
Location: Richmond, TX

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby SQLGeek » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:57 am

KLB wrote:For future reference, my personal pronoun is "His royal personage, King of Bexar, Lord of the Edwards Plateau, and Duke of Earl."


Can we shorten this to El Duque? :cool:
Psalm 91:2

User avatar

SQLGeek
Senior Member
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:48 am
Location: Richmond, TX

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby SQLGeek » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The first time this law is challenged in federal court, it will be struck down as unconstitutional.

Chas.


AKA The California Special

Flightmare wrote:Government penalty for words spoken. If only there was a way we could prevent government from punishing someone for what they say. Perhaps a constitutional amendment? :rules:


Haven't you heard? The Constitution is outmoded and useless in today's society. It simply gets in the way of everything. :shock:
Psalm 91:2


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 2561
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:19 pm

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:from the article cited in the OP;

Wiener's office noted that violations for residential care facilities under existing law rarely resulted in criminal charges, especially for minor violations. Criminal penalties are meant more for violations that expose a patient to risk of death or serious harm, his office said.


A year in jail sounds like a criminal penalty to me, and off the top of my (bald) head, I can't imagine a situation where a life hangs in the balance because the (vanity) pronoun of choice isn't used. However, from where I'm sitting, at least some California judges aren't exactly known for following the law.........

This whole thing is dumber than the clothes we wore in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Given all of California's REAL problems, their legislators time would be better spent on other things......


So in other words "yes we know the law says that you can get a year in jail, but don't worry we won't follow the law".

In their defense, California officials generally see laws as mere possible suggestions, not something that actually has real meaning or importance.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby Lynyrd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
In their defense, California officials generally see laws as mere possible suggestions, not something that actually has real meaning or importance.


Except for anti gun laws.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


apostate
Senior Member
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Houston Texas

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby apostate » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:58 pm

If the Federal Courts strike it down, maybe California will rewrite the law to make it an offense unless you have a license from your local Sheriff. Some will issue the license to any qualified residents who pay the fee. Others will require applicants to demonstrate a "good cause" for using the wrong pronoun.


priusron
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:44 am

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby priusron » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 pm

And the first time a patient is given the wrong medication and is injured because they are misidentified, they will want to hang the medical professional


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6949
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: CA: New law, use wrong pronoun, go to jail.

Postby Abraham » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Wrong pronoun you say?

So if a he-she or she-he or anyone who identifies themselves as someone other than what their birth certificate states and is actually/factually referred to by pronoun as to what their dna also confirms will get in a heap a legal trouble?

Wow, Orwellian leftist madness confirmed by california law.

Ah, I think quite recently Canada came up with this law prior to Cally.

So, Cally is just trying to keep up with their international comrades.


Return to “The Crime Blotter”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests