NYC: Driver of truck mows down pedestrians - 8 - dead

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NYC: Driver of truck mows down pedestrians - 8 - dead

Post by rotor »

philip964 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:At lunch just now I heard the mayor of New York criticizing our President for "politicizing" the attack by mentioning the need for tougher immigration requirements. Funny how I didn't hear him criticize Hillary when she called for continuing the ban on silencers right after the Vegas massacre.
There was a Hillary Tweet running around the internet yesterday That essentially said "look at how many more would have been killed if the truck was equipped with a silencer".

It was one of those did she really say it or was it fake?

Trump proposes enemy combatant status for the Alien Terrorist Truck Driver. Suggests sending him to Guantanamo. :woohoo :
Just like we don't want the 2A infringed on this would be unconstitutional also.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

oohrah wrote:I don't see how having a gun in situations like can prevent the carnage, or even stop a truck. I think your best defense is situational awareness, thinking about possibilities when you find your self in a crowd.
I would have to think that 4 or 5 rounds, center of mass on the grill, would have to enough effect to at least seriously slow the vehicle. Anybody got an old beater they want to donate as a test subject?
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

jmorris wrote:
oohrah wrote:I don't see how having a gun in situations like can prevent the carnage, or even stop a truck. I think your best defense is situational awareness, thinking about possibilities when you find your self in a crowd.
I would have to think that 4 or 5 rounds, center of mass on the grill, would have to enough effect to at least seriously slow the vehicle. Anybody got an old beater they want to donate as a test subject?
Those same 4 or 5 rounds though the windshield into the driver would be more effective IMHO.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Post by philip964 »

I'm seeing 5 of the deaths were tourists from like Rio or something all friends, maybe riding together.

Some kind of high school reunion.

RIP

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "I would have to think that 4 or 5 rounds, center of mass on the grill, would have to enough effect to at least seriously slow the vehicle."

Maybe many miles or many minutes later. Engines can go a long way with low or no fluids. Shots on driver would have a much better chance of quicker stop.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
jmorris wrote:
Those same 4 or 5 rounds though the windshield into the driver would be more effective IMHO.
Possibly, but with your average person* I think they'd have a better chance killing the speeding truck than the driver.

*We here are, of course, all above average.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Greybeard wrote:Quote: "I would have to think that 4 or 5 rounds, center of mass on the grill, would have to enough effect to at least seriously slow the vehicle."

Maybe many miles or many minutes later. Engines can go a long way with low or no fluids. Shots on driver would have a much better chance of quicker stop.
Maybe all the concealed carriers in NYC carry Desert Eagle .50's :biggrinjester:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

CNN’s finest, Jake Tapper defends “allahu akbar’ as ‘beautiful.’ :mad5 :banghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAvlHiG ... e=youtu.be
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-did.html

Mosque-goer who knew terrorist totally gets why he did it.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... was-happy/

On trial for murders. 5 years later.

March 13, 2023

https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... th-killer/

Muslin Terrorist will not get death penalty.
Last edited by philip964 on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

philip964 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:54 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... was-happy/

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
The founders, in their wisdom of setting up what our system was supposed to be, were wise enough to know that a speedy trial wasn't just a factor in the accused rights (although that is the main driver of the 6th after the English habit of years in jail awaiting trial), but also necessary for the ease and grieving of the victims and public at large.
Several states include victims’ bills of rights in their constitutions or enact statutes in an attempt to acknowledge and protect a victim’s interest in a speedy trial.
https://openscholarship.wustl.edu/law_j ... 41/iss1/9/

The 6th amendment is long gone...

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:54 am
philip964 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:54 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/nati ... was-happy/

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
The founders, in their wisdom of setting up what our system was supposed to be, were wise enough to know that a speedy trial wasn't just a factor in the accused rights (although that is the main driver of the 6th after the English habit of years in jail awaiting trial), but also necessary for the ease and grieving of the victims and public at large.
Several states include victims’ bills of rights in their constitutions or enact statutes in an attempt to acknowledge and protect a victim’s interest in a speedy trial.
https://openscholarship.wustl.edu/law_j ... 41/iss1/9/

The 6th amendment is long gone...
It may be the defense that caused the delays.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ELB

Post by ELB »

[/quote]
It may be the defense that caused the delays.
[/quote]

This. It does not seem unusual for any kind of serious, or semi complex murder case to take up to five years to get to trial, And a goodly portion of this is due to defense request.

For example, in the case of the TTU student that killed the TTU police officer that we have a thread on elsewhere, the student chose as his defense lawyer a guy who was also defending the Robert Durst case out in California. The lawyer had to completely Robert Durst case before he could handle the TTU student case, so everybody sat and waited until he was done. The defendant gets the choice of his lawyer, and if he’s willing to sit in jail and wait for his lawyer, to get freed up, then, so be it. That does not count against the “speedy trial” calculations.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “The Crime Blotter”