OC Has Gun Taken Away

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OC Has Gun Taken Away

Post by cmgee67 »

It does not matter how situational aware you are because sometimes you are just blind sided. Maybe this guy is the most SA in the world and he just wasn’t paying attention. Maybe he was having a bad day and just had a lot on his mind. You never know the full details unless it comes from the horses mouth. OC is a great thing and I do it quite often. This can happen to any of us, don’t think you are immune. Praise God he was not killed with his own gun and that he made it home to his family.

OlBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by OlBill »

1911 Raptor wrote:
OldCannon wrote:Open carrying is pretty much the dumbest thing possible in public environments where you don't know the people around you. You are telegraphing exactly how you're armed and where your firearm is at. I fully support the change in laws that support open carry, but doesn't change the fact that if you're open carrying in a crowded public environment, I'm just gonna think, "Bless his heart."

And we all know what that means.
That is of course your opinion.
And worth exactly what was paid for it.

Jay2121
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jay2121 »

We are our own worst enemy sometimes. We have no idea what happened or the equip. involved to the person that was disarmed . The link below tells of a cc person that was disarmed and shot. No details there either.When are we ever in an environment when we totally know who is there, very seldom. To each his own. I will oc and will be on target quicker every time over a cc person. Every time. Any want to try to take my weapon good luck you better be fast and good very,very good, you will loose. My oc will stop incidents before they happen as the bg moves onto the soft target cc guy in the next store over. Let’s be nice out there carry as you will but be honest and to the name caller a few posts up “bless his heart...”

http://headdownnews.com/uncategorized/c ... -shot-gun/

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 5

Post by CleverNickname »

anygunanywhere wrote: Isn’t that special. Your sharing your contempt for those who decide to exercise their freedom in a different manner as yourself.
It's not incompatible to think that the right to OC should exist and also think that it's a bad idea for the vast majority of people the vast majority of the time.

People have the right to wear a neon green Borat-style over-the-shoulder banana-hammock in public too, but just because they can doesn't mean they should.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Why do police officers open carry?

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

CleverNickname wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote: Isn’t that special. Your sharing your contempt for those who decide to exercise their freedom in a different manner as yourself.
It's not incompatible to think that the right to OC should exist and also think that it's a bad idea for the vast majority of people the vast majority of the time.

People have the right to wear a neon green Borat-style over-the-shoulder banana-hammock in public too, but just because they can doesn't mean they should.
When they do decide to OC those who have great respect for the 2A shouldn’t denigrate and criticize to the nth degree. We get enough of that from our enemies.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

I very selectively OC.

When gassing up or putting my grocery/Walmart purchases into the back of my truck, I immediately take off my cover vest (in the hot months) throw it into the cab, proceed to unload with my Glock 19/spare mag on my gun belt showing.

I also keep my head swiveling the entire time.

Is this practice sound?

Yes, I think so.

Yes, most of the time I remain concealed, but I'm not going to boil in sweat to stay concealed. Nope, wouldn't be prudent...for me anyway.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

OlBill wrote:Why do police officers open carry?
Uniformed officers open carry because they're in uniform, and police officers in the US are all armed. Police officers in plainclothes seem to conceal most of the time. If a criminal sees a uniformed cop, since the criminal knows the officer is carrying, then concealing the officer's gun doesn't help nearly as much. But as an LTC licensee, it's much, much easier to blend in with the general public who isn't carrying by concealing.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, during the 1980 Iran embassy siege in London, there was a UK cop who was assigned to guard the embassy who was taken hostage. He was able to keep possession of his concealed handgun because the terrorists holding him hostage thought he was unarmed (as most UK cops were and are), so they didn't bother searching him. That wouldn't be the case in the US; they'd assume any cop was armed.
anygunanywhere wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:

When they do decide to OC those who have great respect for the 2A shouldn’t denigrate and criticize to the nth degree. We get enough of that from our enemies.
If you can't take some mild criticism, maybe you should reflect on your amount of respect for the first amendment.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

CleverNickname wrote:
OlBill wrote:Why do police officers open carry?
Uniformed officers open carry because they're in uniform, and police officers in the US are all armed. Police officers in plainclothes seem to conceal most of the time. If a criminal sees a uniformed cop, since the criminal knows the officer is carrying, then concealing the officer's gun doesn't help nearly as much. But as an LTC licensee, it's much, much easier to blend in with the general public who isn't carrying by concealing.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, during the 1980 Iran embassy siege in London, there was a UK cop who was assigned to guard the embassy who was taken hostage. He was able to keep possession of his concealed handgun because the terrorists holding him hostage thought he was unarmed (as most UK cops were and are), so they didn't bother searching him. That wouldn't be the case in the US; they'd assume any cop was armed.
anygunanywhere wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:

If you can't take some mild criticism, maybe you should reflect on your amount of respect for the first amendment.
The negative feedback posted by some against OC can hardly be considered as mild criticism. Besides, the 1A doesn’t apply to private forums nor does my objection to the negative feedback reflect in any way on my respect for the 1A. I support both OC and CC in just about any form and will defend it consistently.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Let me mention the incident in the Azle walmart where the man was held at gunpoint by three youths, his concealed gun taken and his car stolen.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

anygunanywhere wrote: Besides, the 1A doesn’t apply to private forums nor does my objection to the negative feedback reflect in any way on my respect for the 1A.
Exactly. And neither does criticizing open carry show a lack of respect for the 2nd Amendment. I and other posters here who do that aren't the government.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

CleverNickname wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote: Besides, the 1A doesn’t apply to private forums nor does my objection to the negative feedback reflect in any way on my respect for the 1A.
Exactly. And neither does criticizing open carry show a lack of respect for the 2nd Amendment. I and other posters here who do that aren't the government.
It shows a lack of respect for other firearms owners and carriers. The antis love it when we disrespect each other. But hey! As long as you get to exercise your “right” to criticize everything is just fine.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I rarely OC and I carry a speed safe knife to encourage anyone who try to grab it!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

crazy2medic wrote:Let me mention the incident in the Azle walmart where the man was held at gunpoint by three youths, his concealed gun taken and his car stolen.
And, yet again, I would like to request some sort of statistics on just how many people who are legally carrying firearms, openly or concealed, have had their holstered firearms taken from them not as part of a physical struggle already on-going. I seem to get ignored when I ask this question. If it is something commonplace, then there should be far more than one or two, or even a handful of examples, especially nation-wide.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

anygunanywhere wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:
It shows a lack of respect for other firearms owners and carriers. The antis love it when we disrespect each other. But hey! As long as you get to exercise your “right” to criticize everything is just fine.
If they get their gun taken like guy in the news story that prompted this thread, then do they really deserve respect?

Return to “The Crime Blotter”