KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

K.Mooneyham

Re: KS:Witchta man dies after fake "Swatting" call

Postby K.Mooneyham » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 pm

When we received training on accidents, we were taught the concept of a chain of events. Breaking any link in the chain will prevent the accident from occurring. I really cannot see how this is any different, besides it not being an accident, which makes it worse. The entire incident would never have occurred, and the deceased would still be alive, had the call never been placed. It is the first link in the chain of events.

MechAg94

Postby MechAg94 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm

K.Mooneyham wrote:When we received training on accidents, we were taught the concept of a chain of events. Breaking any link in the chain will prevent the accident from occurring. I really cannot see how this is any different, besides it not being an accident, which makes it worse. The entire incident would never have occurred, and the deceased would still be alive, had the call never been placed. It is the first link in the chain of events.

Yep. There were probably several errors that all came together. With injuries in industrial settings, that is the case as well.

I think in this case there was only one shot. It would be interesting if we could actually get candid commentary from the officers involved. I would settle for at least seeing all the video that police have available so we could get a better picture of events. There were some things said about the way the deceased was behaving that I would like to see for myself.

ninjabread

Postby ninjabread » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:34 pm

K.Mooneyham wrote:When we received training on accidents, we were taught the concept of a chain of events. Breaking any link in the chain will prevent the accident from occurring. I really cannot see how this is any different, besides it not being an accident, which makes it worse. The entire incident would never have occurred, and the deceased would still be alive, had the call never been placed. It is the first link in the chain of events.

It's the first link but every link is to blame. Also there are many prank calls that don't end with an innocent person shot by police and there are many innocent people shot by police that didn't start with a prank call. I'm in favor of prosecuting the prank caller but we also need to prosecute the trigger pullers if it's going to be more than smoke and mirrors.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

K.Mooneyham

Postby K.Mooneyham » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am

ninjabread wrote:

It's the first link but every link is to blame. Also there are many prank calls that don't end with an innocent person shot by police and there are many innocent people shot by police that didn't start with a prank call. I'm in favor of prosecuting the prank caller but we also need to prosecute the trigger pullers if it's going to be more than smoke and mirrors.

I'm sorry I just don't consider that in the same league with a prank call. An admittedly cheesy version of a prank call is the old "Hello, is your refrigerator running? <pause> Well, you better go catch it!", and then hanging up. Prank denotes all-in-good-fun, even if annoying. There is nothing in good fun about sending armed people out after someone.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”