MI:Former Marine charged with assault with attempt to murder after defending his family

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

MI:Former Marine charged with assault with attempt to murder after defending his family

Post by philip964 »

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-n ... -into-home

Man was defending his home against an armed intruder, a stranger to him, who was trying to break in. He ended up being shot in the hip by the man. He called 911.

The former marine was charged with assault with attempt to murder for firing his gun at the man in his yard who had attempted to break his front door down and who shot him in the hip.

The stranger was charged with illegally concealed carrying a weapon.

Could be more to the story, but that's what it basically says.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: MI:Former Marine charged with assault with attempt to murder after defending his family

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote:http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-n ... -into-home

Man was defending his home against an armed intruder, a stranger to him, who was trying to break in. He ended up being shot in the hip by the man. He called 911.

The former marine was charged with assault with attempt to murder for firing his gun at the man in his yard who had attempted to break his front door down and who shot him in the hip.

The stranger was charged with illegally concealed carrying a weapon.

Could be more to the story, but that's what it basically says.
Westland police say that a fight over a mutual female friend inside the home led to the shooting.
Joey is now charged with several felonies, including assault with intent to murder.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: MI:Former Marine charged with assault with attempt to murder after defending his family

Post by Keith B »

Also charged was 24-year-old Kori Willhite of Garden City for disguising her identification to a police officer and possession of improper prescription drugs.

Sounds like all of them need a time-out
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

I suspect he told the police officer he drew and fired first after the attacker retreated to the front yard.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Another report I saw on a different forum said the guy was "fleeing" when he was shot. If true, the shooter did not have justification.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Obviously there is more to the back story on this. However, I find it highly delightful that it's okay for someone shoot up someone's home, and they are immune from anything bad happening to them as long as they run away after doing it. Again, the law seems to be on the side of the person who initiated the crime(s).

superstar

Post by superstar »

oohrah wrote:Another report I saw on a different forum said the guy was "fleeing" when he was shot. If true, the shooter did not have justification.
If Michigan's law is the same as Texas' law, the person that got shot in his own house can use lethal force against an intruder as long as he believed his life or others were in danger and to stop a felony crime while in progress or to stop the person from fleeing the crime.

If the invader appears to run away but his body is turned towards you shooting while "running away" is he fleeing? or looking for cover?

We can all just speculate, best to wait for all the facts surface.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Who's home?
"I don't know (who he is); my son doesn't know him; the owner of the home doesn't know him," says Steve.
"My son was where he was supposed to be - inside his home with his legally owned firearm," Steve Nelson says.
"He opened up the door because he was standing here in the yard," Steve says. "(Joey) told him to get off his property and at that time (Wilson) produced a gun and started shooting at my son."
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

superstar wrote:If Michigan's law is the same as Texas' law, the person that got shot in his own house can use lethal force against an intruder as long as he believed his life or others were in danger and to stop a felony crime while in progress or to stop the person from fleeing the crime.
I don't know Michigan law but Texas law doesn't have a blanket justification for shooting a fleeing felon these days.

There are too many unanswered questions for me to have an opinion on this particular shooting, except to suspect the police and DA know more about it than the MSM.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Not sure how trustworthy this site is. It makes the story more interesting.

http://thegatewaypundit.com/2018/01/dru ... -gun-case/
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

So, here is my next question: the man who initiated the crime, and reportedly fired first, who is he related to?

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

K.Mooneyham wrote:So, here is my next question: the man who initiated the crime, and reportedly fired first, who is he related to?
the way I read it, the one who started it all is the boyfriend of a friend. It reads like he arrived later, as she was "leaving the party".
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The "story" makes me wonder if the guy was actually trying to break into the house or maybe
was he [loudly] banging on the door.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

WildBill wrote:The "story" makes me wonder if the guy was actually trying to break into the house or maybe
was he [loudly] banging on the door.
I thought there was something in the news story about the door frame being cracked broken or spli by the man trying to gain entry.

stroo

Post by stroo »

None of this makes sense. Having said that 35 years ago when I was in law school I clerked for a local firm part time for a year. We had a case of excessive force by one of the local PDs. While our client may have deserved some rough treatment, (he talked back, to put it mildly, to the arresting officers and jail officers), he really was beat up in the jail. It wasn't racial, our client was white, and I believe we eventually got a settlement.

One of the things I learned though was that some of the officers in the Detroit suburbs were real nasty and not necessarily real competent. The officers described here kind of remind of some of those officers.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”