Jamaica: Travel warning due to gun violence on gun free island

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Jamaica: Travel warning due to gun violence on gun free island

Post by philip964 »

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 7fb73e91ca

Jamaica travel warning due to gun violence on island that has draconian gun laws for last 40 years. Life in prison for possession of a single bullet. Special secret gun courts.

Yet before emergency declared murder rate was 46 per 100,000 people.

I have a new place to suggest where gun control works besides Mexico, and it's an island too.

Apparently guns are smuggled from heavily gun controlled Haiti.

Trump's favorite spot.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Jamaica: Travel warning due to gun violence on gun free island

Post by ScottDLS »

Sounds like another Schumer-hole country... :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

DevilDawg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DevilDawg »

So nothing’s changed since I went there for work circa 2006/7 it would seem. Never understood the draw of that place anyway so no loss

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

More government and greater oppression. When you've got "secret" anything, somethings rotten in Denmark. I include the FISA courts in the United States and the Patriot Act in my scorn.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Ike Aramba

Post by Ike Aramba »

ScottDLS wrote:Sounds like another Schumer-hole country... :evil2:
:iagree:

It's nice to have a sitting president who admits the difference between Schumer and Shinola.
"Eastern European intellectuals, reading 1984 in clandestine editions, were amazed to find that its author had never visited the Soviet Union. How, then, had he captured its mental and moral atmosphere? By reading its propaganda, and by paying attention..."

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Mexico had a record number of murders last year. 29,000 or so. It has a population of 127,000,000 or so. A murder rate of around 23 per 100,000.

Jamaica is around 45 per 100,000.

Both gun free countries.

The US is around 5 per 100,000 overall.

Going to Kansas City Mo. or Washington DC is as dangerous as Mexico.

Going to Baltimore MD or St Louis Mo. is more dangerous than Jamaica.
Last edited by philip964 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

philip964 wrote:Mexico had a record number of murders last year. 25,300 or so. It has a population of 127,000,000 or so. A murder rate of around 20 per 100,000.

Both gun free countries.
My wife and I visited Jamaica on a cruise. When we went through Jamaican customs when returning to the cruise ship they pounced on a pocket knife I had with me. It was a simple folding pocket knife. They threatened to arrest me for carrying a concealed weapon. I managed to grovel my way out of the event.

I'm never leaving the lower 48 ever again. There is enough for me to do here.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

ScottDLS wrote:Sounds like another Schumer-hole country... :evil2:
Well played Sir.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

anygunanywhere wrote:
philip964 wrote:Mexico had a record number of murders last year. 25,300 or so. It has a population of 127,000,000 or so. A murder rate of around 20 per 100,000.

Both gun free countries.
My wife and I visited Jamaica on a cruise. When we went through Jamaican customs when returning to the cruise ship they pounced on a pocket knife I had with me. It was a simple folding pocket knife. They threatened to arrest me for carrying a concealed weapon. I managed to grovel my way out of the event.

How dare you have a tool! :shock: :nono:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

anygunanywhere wrote:

Both gun free countries.

I'm going to guess that a $20 bill would have also gotten you out of any issues

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Both gun free countries.

I'm going to guess that a $20 bill would have also gotten you out of any issues
Actually, what got me out of trouble was Mrs. Anygunanywhere telling me to shut up and me doing so.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I used to regularly world travel for fun and sometimes for business.

Often, with a girlfriend, but sometime all by lonesome.

Heck, I even lived in few foreign countries for short periods.

I would do so now, with my wife, but the world has to heck.

I'm not leaving Texas.

When we speak of gun reciprocity, I get a kick out of all the commie U.S. states some would visit.

I'd rather go to Cuba, where it's safer than California if I were to go to a commie country.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

We stopped there on a cruise right after the Russians left back in the late 80's. There were 'ganjamen' everywhere and they followed us back to the ship, taunting us to give them money and/or buy some 'ganja'. Dunns River Falls was pretty neat but that was about it for us. That's just one more place that we ain't had no reason to return to. :grumble

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

Oldgringo wrote:We stopped there on a cruise right after the Russians left back in the late 80's. There were 'ganjamen' everywhere and they followed us back to the ship, taunting us to give them money and/or buy some 'ganja'. Dunns River Falls was pretty neat but that was about it for us. That's just one more place that we ain't had no reason to return to. :grumble
Ganja is illegal in Jamaica. Jamaica prisons are supposedly worse than Mexico.

Why would there be customs to leave a country, unless it was to catch tourists and make some money for the government, govt. employees and local lawyers.

Leaving the US I have been stopped only once to check if I was carrying a large amount of cash ( apparently he confused me with someone who was rich ) His eyes did get wide when I admitted I was carrying 130,000 lira. Which at the time was worth $300.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

philip964 wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:We stopped there on a cruise right after the Russians left back in the late 80's. There were 'ganjamen' everywhere and they followed us back to the ship, taunting us to give them money and/or buy some 'ganja'. Dunns River Falls was pretty neat but that was about it for us. That's just one more place that we ain't had no reason to return to. :grumble
Ganja is illegal in Jamaica. Jamaica prisons are supposedly worse than Mexico.

Why would there be customs to leave a country, unless it was to catch tourists and make some money for the government, govt. employees and local lawyers.

Leaving the US I have been stopped only once to check if I was carrying a large amount of cash ( apparently he confused me with someone who was rich ) His eyes did get wide when I admitted I was carrying 130,000 lira. Which at the time was worth $300.
In my travels to South America (Argentina & Brazil) there seemed to be a fairly strict "exit control" procedure at the major airports. In Argentina it was worse for residents, but still took around an hour for Business Visitors and tourists. Part of it was due to currency problems (back in 2012) since somewhat resolved. But they also kept pretty close track of visa compliance by taking a fingerprint upon entry AND EXIT that was tied to you visa/passport. While they were at it, if you happened to be carrying drugs or contraband weapons they'd get you too as part of the passenger screening. Bring dollars in they loved it...bring dollars out (in large amounts) NO. :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “The Crime Blotter”