Attacking pit bull shot in League City

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Interblog
Posts in topic: 7

Attacking pit bull shot in League City

Post by Interblog »

According to published reports, this incident took place about 250 feet from my house. I might know both parties (woman and intervening police officer) but they haven't been named. The woman is very lucky that an armed citizen came along, because the pit appears to have entered kill mode and might have finished off her Golden and proceeded to set upon her as well. As I sit here patiently waiting for my plastic, this story feels a bit like an omen. Obviously given the proximity, I walk my own dog there all the time.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/baya ... 556252.php

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Attacking pit bull shot in League City

Post by flechero »

A definite wake up call but you are lucky that the off duty officer shot it and bought you some time to get the plastic and get comfy carrying!!

Topic author
Interblog

Post by Interblog »

The situation could have been worse. According to published reports, the incident took place basically at the intersection that serves as our public school (ISD) bus stop. Given the time of the morning that was stated, it occurred after the high schoolers had been picked up, but before the elementary kids had begun to assemble, so there were probably no children at that location when the pit bull was at large and the shots had to be fired, thankfully.

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

"But, but, but my pit bull would NEVER attack anyone!"

Topic author
Interblog

Post by Interblog »

^^ those sentiments are all over social media re: this thing...

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Interblog wrote:^^ those sentiments are all over social media re: this thing...
Not a dig against pit bulls at all -- but against owner naivety and recklessness.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

As the one commentor on the story said, pit bulls need to be neutered/spayed into extinction. I could not agree more.

http://www.animals24-7.org/2018/01/17/p ... s-in-2017/

A friend of ours lost their sweet yellow Lab in a pit bull attack a little over a month ago.

I killed an attacking pit bull in my front yard back in 1985. The owner who lived up the street had just brought the adult dog home after purchasing him. He opened his truck door, the dog came down the street into my yard. He was advancing on me when I took the top of his head off with my 20 ga truck gun.
Since there are only about 3.7 million pit bulls in the U.S. at any given time, the odds start at about one chance in 80 that any given pit bull will kill a human or animal in any given year––compared to about one chance in 24,666 that any given dog of any other breed will kill any pet or farmed animal.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Let me say that I do not care what other people do as long as they don't hurt anyone.

When that well-known photo was published and went viral on social media several months ago, the pic of those guys open carrying big guns (was it AR-15s?) at the intersection of SH96 and West Walker Street, which is also adjacent to our subdivision, many people freaked out. And I was like, "Power to you, bros. Do what you are entitled to do, as long as you don't hurt anyone."

The persistent problem is irresponsible owners, whether we are talking about pit bulls, other dog breeds, or firearms. I know that I'm preaching to the choir on that point.

This case will be an interesting exercise in open records investigation for me. I want to know who was cited for Tuesday's pit bull attack and what their address is. Many people have more than one dog. These guys might have more than one pit bull. Or, even if this owner does not have more than one pit bull, he/she/they may acquire another pit bull to replace the one that had to be shot to death. I want to know something of who they are, and where they live, because the available evidence suggests that they are irresponsible owners. Being informed of that situation going forward is just part of maintaining appropriate situational awareness, given that I'm apparently living quite close to it whether I want to or not.

bbhack
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bbhack »

Couple just got convicted (Felony 3) in SA for their dog's attack.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/ ... 515467.php
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

Hey, Pit Bulls aren't any more dangerous than say a hungry free ranging lion or tiger.

Heck, if they're raised right they won't attack...right?

Same with, nah, raised right or wrong a Pit Bull has the potential for killing humans (and other critters) is ALWAYS there!

One of the most common defense statements for those who own lethal dogs is: He won't bite.

You maybe, maybe not, but owning a Pit Bull, an animal with such ferocity and ability to kill is off the charts...

P.S. Take the time to read the above "expressnews.com" link.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I'm of the mindset to blame the owner, not blame the breed. To me its akin to blaming an AK or Hi-Point gun for killing people.

Pitbulls if trained and socialized properly aren't a problem IMO. The problem is owners (and this goes for all breeds) not really knowing the breed or how to train them properly.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Yeah, sure, Pit Bulls raised right couldn't ever possibly/potentially attack another human or animal. Raised right why they become the saints of dogdom.

Sorry, but that tired old excuse wore out long, long ago...

They can be raised as right as is possible and still be triggered into attacking, maiming or killing.

You can find link after link of Pit Bulls maiming and killing humans and dogs all over the U.S.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by der Teufel »

Pariah3j wrote:I'm of the mindset to blame the owner, not blame the breed.
I view it as a combination of ingredients. Maybe owners could/should do better at training and restraining their pit bulls. However, it seems that when there's a news account of a vicious dog attack, often a pit bull is involved.

I don't read many stories about poodles attacking people …
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Abraham wrote:...

P.S. Take the time to read the above "expressnews.com" link.
Oh my word - it ripped that poor old lady's arm clean off. She's lucky she didn't bleed to death.

In this case, fingers crossed that the local lady whose Golden was attacked sues the rear end off the pit's owner. If all that owner is getting via the criminal justice system is a misdemeanor charge, then they need a massive kick in the pants courtesy of civil litigation. When behavior is irresponsible, a strong correction is typically needed if things are going to change.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If Pit Bulls were kept 24/7 in heavy duty kennels without the possibility of escape...read completely encompassed in dog jail/prison, similar to what lions and tigers are kept in, in zoos, their killing and maiming would come to an end for the world at large.

Those in charge of watering and feeding, not so much...but they manage in zoos with lethal animals, so...

Return to “The Crime Blotter”