TX: Death Row Inmate Escapes

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

TX: Death Row Inmate Escapes

Post by ELB »

...the needle.

Harris County death row prisoner convicted in saloon robbery found dead in cell

Died of natural causes at age 71.

After spending 14 years in prison for armed robbery and jail breaking he was released. Seven months later in 1983 he killed five people, including his sister, in generally separate incidents, and was convicted and sentenced to death. Through appeal his conviction was overturned, he was retried and sentenced once again to death. After more legal machinations that sentence was set aside and he faced yet another jury, which once again sentenced him to death. He had current appeals pending.

Those who did not escape this year to date:

Anthony Shore raped and killed five (that we know of) mostly teenage girls in separate incidents from 1986 to 1995. He was executed on 1/18/18.

William Rayford murdered his ex-girlfriend in front of her children. This was after serving eight years of a 23 year sentence for murdering his wife. He was executed on 1/30/18.

John Battaglia called his estranged wife so she could hear over the phone as he shot their six and nine year old daughters to death while at least one of the girls begged him not to do it. He was executed on 2/1/18.

The current Death Row information is here: https://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TX: Death Row Inmate Escapes

Post by ELB »

Interesting (to me anyway) factoid about current death row occupants:

Per TDCJ, the county with the highest number of people sentenced to death is Harris County with 294.
Dallas County comes next with 107.
Bexar and Tarrant Counties essentially tie for third place with 76 and 74 respectively.
All other counties are far behind these, none exceeding 24.

(I think this might be off by a bit -- the list was last updated over a year ago -- but it's probably pretty close).
USAF 1982-2005

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

ELB wrote:Interesting (to me anyway) factoid about current death row occupants:

Per TDCJ, the county with the highest number of people sentenced to death is Harris County with 294.
Dallas County comes next with 107.
Bexar and Tarrant Counties essentially tie for third place with 76 and 74 respectively.
All other counties are far behind these, none exceeding 24.

(I think this might be off by a bit -- the list was last updated over a year ago -- but it's probably pretty close).
While it's an interesting factoid indeed, that is pretty close to the order of counties by largest population.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

I've read about the Battaglia murders a few times. His name makes my blood boil.
Psalm 91:2

Return to “The Crime Blotter”