FL: Active shooter at high school in South Florida

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 11

Re: FL: Active shooter at high school in South Florida

Post by bblhd672 »

Pawpaw wrote:Sheriff: Armed officer at Stoneman Douglas ‘never went in’ during shooting
Broward Sheriff Scott Israel has announced that the school resource deputy for Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has resigned amid an internal investigation.

Israel made the announcement during a news conference Thursday afternoon.

According to Israel, Deputy Scot Peterson was on campus at the time of the shooting that killed 17 people.

However, Israel said video showed the deputy arriving at the west side of the building where the shooting took place. Peterson then took up a position but “never went in.”
In 2014, Peterson was named School Resource Officer of the Year for the City of Parkland, with the district saying “Deputy Peterson has proven to be reliable in handling issues with tact and judgment.”
He must have tactfully judged that he would rather go home safe at the end of his day rather than protect the students.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 15

Post by anygunanywhere »

Something to make you go hmmmmmm.
The lack of action by Broward County Officer Scott Peterson is not an outlier, it is the norm. His conduct and cowardly behavior reveals a larger sentiment within a heavily politicized law enforcement agency. Politics is the filter for all decision-making.

REPEAT: Politics in Broward and Dade county is the filter for ALL decision-making.

Sheriff Israel is a political operative deep inside the Democrat political machine within Broward County. He is not alone. Israel is surrounded by similarly-minded police officers and law enforcement officials. Many of them are political operatives.
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... ore-146160
SRO’s are given political instructions NOT, I repeat, NOT given instructions to uphold laws and regulations.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Police officers guard home of deputy assigned to Florida HS who ‘never went in’ during shooting: report

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/23/po ... eport.html
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WTR »

I think the Sheriff who assigned this Deputy to protect students should be fired. The Deputy was abviusly not trained or qualified to perform his duties. He is 54 and most likely close to retirement and was placed in a do nothing job. ( at least 99.9% of the time). This deputy was a scared rabbit when the chips were down. I don't think we need a "Pit Bull "Officer, but a "Sheep Dog " at the minimum. My wife asked me if I would have gone in. When I said yes, she said we are going to the range more often.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

WTR wrote:I think the Sheriff who assigned this Deputy to protect students should be fired. The Deputy was abviusly not trained or qualified to perform his duties. He is 54 and most likely close to retirement and was placed in a do nothing job. ( at least 99.9% of the time). This deputy was a scared rabbit when the chips were down. I don't think we need a "Pit Bull "Officer, but a "Sheep Dog " at the minimum. My wife asked me if I would have gone in. When I said yes, she said we are going to the range more often.
It has been my experience that most of the SRO are either retired, close to it, or an officer they do not want in the street anymore. That does not mean they are all scared. To be fair I would like to hear from the Delity as to why he didn’t enter.

I 100% agree the Sheriff should resign. After 30 plus visits by his department to the killers house and then his leadership at selecting the SRO should be good enough reasons.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Apparently other Broward County Deputies also sheltered outside and didn't go in the building. https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics ... index.html

That Sheriff really needs to resign!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

stroo wrote:Apparently other Broward County Deputies also sheltered outside and didn't go in the building. https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics ... index.html

That Sheriff really needs to resign!
Broward County will still be the hit on all the Cops shows.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

I still can't quite get my head around that grinning Senator in the CNN Town Hall - Nelson, right?

He gleefully said he thought arming teachers was a bad idea. Is he relieved the shooter faced no resistance?

And the teachers and superintendent who expressed horror at the thought of a gun in the classroom. How satisfying it would be to engage one in debate and tell them with that viewpoint, nobody wants them carrying. That shallow thinking would only get the teacher killed or involved in a panic-inspired wrongful death trial.

Only teachers who respect life, actively wish to defend it, and learn how to accurately and safely shoot should carry. The others, keep quiet and keep your heads down. Give those with more hardened philosophy a chance to save you.

I think every time we try to put firearms on a high shelf, only available to official people, we define another battle line for rebelling against authority. Make assault weapons illegal, and some sickos will take it as a forbidden fruit challenge.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 91

Post by philip964 »

What has been taught to police in the event of a school shooting. Enter and confront or take position and control the perimeter and wait for SWAT.

I don't remember at Columbine the police entering the building and confronting. Am I mistaken?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

philip964 wrote:What has been taught to police in the event of a school shooting. Enter and confront or take position and control the perimeter and wait for SWAT.

I don't remember at Columbine the police entering the building and confronting. Am I mistaken?
Certiainly not what the Sheriff said should have been done.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

philip964 wrote:What has been taught to police in the event of a school shooting. Enter and confront or take position and control the perimeter and wait for SWAT.

You are correct the police did not enter the building at Columbine. Now they are taught to not wait and try to confront the shooter. It has been proving over and over that these people usually take their own life as soon as they are confronted or are killed by the first responder.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

philip964 wrote:Anyone seen the quote from the 1991 Behold a Pale Horse?

The former Navel Intelligent officers book predicted 9/11 and has a paragraph saying that he claims the CIA has a program well underway to get Americans to volentarily give up their guns to keep school children safe.

Program involves drugs. No mention yet whether kid was taking antipsychotic drugs yet. Since there may be a trial this time it may actually come out.
A 'Navel Intelligent Officer'?...sorry, I couldn't help it...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

puma guy
Posts in topic: 8

Post by puma guy »

I've been reading all the reports of Sheriff Scott Israel's four officer's failure to enter to confront the shooter. Maybe that's what he meant by his comment to Dana Loesch "I want less weapons". Since they are not allowed to make arrests at the school, perhaps they were following protocol. Not the first time The Broward SD has had a major fail. My point is not to berate LEO's, but there are some individuals who are way past the Peter Principle. Those who are incredibly inept and those who have the wrong agenda.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fort-l ... story.html
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Chaparral
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Chaparral »

Yes, now we are hearing that 4 Broward Co. sheriffs deputies took up defensive positions behind their cars while the attack was under way. Local city PD were actually the first to enter the school. I have no connection to law enforcement, but even I know that, post Columbine, the tactic for school shooters is to engage them immediately. The Sherrif and his staff need to be fired, then the civil suits can begin.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 8

Post by puma guy »

Chaparral wrote:Yes, now we are hearing that 4 Broward Co. sheriffs deputies took up defensive positions behind their cars while the attack was under way. Local city PD were actually the first to enter the school. I have no connection to law enforcement, but even I know that, post Columbine, the tactic for school shooters is to engage them immediately. The Sherrif and his staff need to be fired, then the civil suits can begin.
The four BSD deputies were mentioned in my post above yours. They waited outside. Coral Springs PD entered the school to try to confront the shooter. Even CNN has a story.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics ... index.html
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “The Crime Blotter”