FL: Active shooter at high school in South Florida

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FL: Active shooter at high school in South Florida

Post by rtschl »

I know of a number of churches that do not allow backpacks in their Worship Center. We have discussed it but haven't implemented it at our church. I have been to several church safety seminars and IIRC they recommend banning backpacks in Worship Centers. It is a very legitimate security concern as it is a very easy way to conceal a weapons cache, pipe bombs/IEDs, etc. We do closely watch people we do not know that are carrying back packs. There was one situation where we asked a strange looking/acting visitor what was in their backpack and he opened it up and showed us the contents.

But prior to us starting our security team 9 years ago, I was a backpack member who carried my Bibles, notebooks, etc. I like them for the convenience. We have a lot of our young college age adults that carry messenger bags.

For schools I would be in favor of allowing only clear plastic backpacks or better yet - backpacks and students go through metal detector before entering the school.
Ron
NRA Member

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bigtek »

1911 Raptor wrote:With all due respect I find the arguments for banning backpacks the same one being used by anti-gunners wanting to ban guns. What’s next maxipedition bags, purses, guitar cases, briefcases, fanny packs, etc....
:iagree: There's no reason to ban backpacks or AR-15 rifles in schools.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 15

Post by anygunanywhere »

I agree with Carlson1. Carrying backpacks is not a right.

If you want backpacks/diaper bags/girly sissy manpurses/what not just have someone search them. If you don't like it go elsewhere.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

bigtek wrote:
1911 Raptor wrote:With all due respect I find the arguments for banning backpacks the same one being used by anti-gunners wanting to ban guns. What’s next maxipedition bags, purses, guitar cases, briefcases, fanny packs, etc....
I just don't understand what the difference is with a ladies purse, a briefcase, a courier bag or a backpack. Strikes me as strange that my back is allowed at airports, powerplants and government buildings including courthouses, but not into churches or schools. Some of us don't like leaving certain things in our cars. Schools churches and airports are getting to be more like prisons these days with limited access. The best security is a co-ordinated team of concealed carriers.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The full court press is the game plan.

Act accordingly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/opin ... dment.html
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SewTexas »

Liberty wrote:
bigtek wrote:
I just don't understand what the difference is with a ladies purse, a briefcase, a courier bag or a backpack. Strikes me as strange that my back is allowed at airports, powerplants and government buildings including courthouses, but not into churches or schools. Some of us don't like leaving certain things in our cars. Schools churches and airports are getting to be more like prisons these days with limited access. The best security is a co-ordinated team of concealed carriers.
this is it exactly! I can literally carry a backpack with a Bible and my MIL's essentials into a courthouse or the mall, but not into Carlson's church! I'm sorry, that's as bad, if not worse than a 30.06 sign. I just don't understand the thinking. But, like you insist....it's "your" church, I'll find a different one.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jason812

Post by jason812 »

anygunanywhere wrote:The full court press is the game plan.

Act accordingly.

The comments for that article will make you madder than the article. The left is becoming more harden, more vocal, and more militant. Too many on our own side are willing to compromise with them for "common sense gun control" because it makes the FEEL better even though it will accomplish nothing.

When the man comes knocking, who will have the internal fortitude to say no?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JRG »

Great video that brings up excellent points! Thanks for sharing!

Joe

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 6

Post by SewTexas »

Excellent! I do like him!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rm9792 »

anygunanywhere wrote:The full court press is the game plan.

Act accordingly.

Again with the hunting and self defense crap. 2nd has nothing to do with either.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike S »

If you haven't watched this video yet, it's well worth the 4 minutes 20 seconds. Nothing we don't already know, but he's very articulate in his presentation.

(Thanks for sharing, Pawpaw.)

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

National Review has it right here: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/02/ ... oper-wray/
Not sure if Wray specifically should be fired, but several people should be. This is wholly unacceptable, and a pattern that has repeated with several other murderers in the past.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “The Crime Blotter”