Faith City Church Shooting, Amarillo

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
DEB
Posts in topic: 1

Faith City Church Shooting, Amarillo

Post by DEB »

I just heard about this today from one of my peers who is a security person at his Church. I also did not see this on the forum. Apparently on 14 February, there was a possible active shooter that showed up at Faith City Church in Amarillo, was wrestled to the ground, and had his gun taken from him. Then the young man who took the weapon was shot by responding Law Enforcement. See http://www.wlox.com/story/37504096/iden ... n-released. Be careful out there.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Faith City Church Shooting, Amarillo

Post by troglodyte »

From the video it seems the church is 30.06 and/or 30.07 posted. I couldn't make out the actual letters but it looks like 06/07 signs. There is also another sign on the wall stating no firearms or weapons are allowed on the property. Another video shows a different door and there is a partially obscured 30.06 sign.

No more details in five days. I'd like to know the circumstances under which the injured man was shot. Did the police verbally engage him first or did they shoot first? How was the injured man holding the gun? Why was he holding the gun? All questions that would be nice to have the answers to in the event any of us are in a similar situation at our churches or any other place.

Anyone in the Amarillo area have any more details?
Last edited by troglodyte on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

The 'Faith City Mission' at 401 SE 2nd Ave has a 30.06 on the brick facade to the left of the entry doors, as shown in the news footage (if you CTRL-+ your browser you can actually read the sign). Google Maps Street View verifies the building location, put predates the (2015+ version) 30.06 sign. I've added the location to Texas3006.com. I didn't see a 30.07 in any of the news footage I watched. (at least not any I could recognize or actually read by playing with the sizing)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:The 'Faith City Mission' at 401 SE 2nd Ave has a 30.06 on the brick facade to the left of the entry doors, as shown in the news footage (if you CTRL-+ your browser you can actually read the sign). Google Maps Street View verifies the building location, put predates the (2015+ version) 30.06 sign. I've added the location to Texas3006.com. I didn't see a 30.07 in any of the news footage I watched.
In one of the videos there are two different shots that show the wall on either side of one of the doors (the recessed one at the top of the stairs). You can see what appears to be 06 and/or 07 signs on either side of the doors but I couldn't read them clearly. Without physically being there it is only an assumption. They may say they serve Blue Bell ice cream in 1" block letters, contrasting background, and in English and Spanish for all I know.

The sign by the street level door is pretty clear in one of the videos.

Maybe some one in Amarillo can swing by and take a look.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

And in contrast to that, on Ash Wednesday service, my pastor was carrying his pocket 380 under his robes, I had my 9mm under my jacket and was stationed at the back of the room by the entry door. We have at least 4 armed men who regularly attend service. I have usher duties so I stay at the back, even when I'm not on duty I always make sure and sit in the last row so that I can watch the doors and everything and everyone.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I saw the signs in the recessed door also, but couldn't enhance the pic enough to read them. while they look like 06/07 overall, my subjective impression was that arrangement of the word lengths didn't match up with the default language. It does seem odd that they would have an 06 but no 07....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “The Crime Blotter”