Rowlett 17 year old arrested with semi auto rifle

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Rowlett 17 year old arrested with semi auto rifle

Post by Greybeard »

And who thinks a law requiring age of 21 to purchase would have deterred this 17 year old?

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/North ... 10673.html
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

LeonCarr

Re: Rowlett 17 year old arrested with semi auto rifle

Post by LeonCarr »

I wonder who made that rifle accessible to a minor?

Just my thatisagainstthelawdontyaknow .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

LeonCarr wrote:I wonder who made that rifle accessible to a minor?

LeonCarr
That was my first thought too. Lets just hope justice will get a hold of the enabler too!
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

apostate

Post by apostate »

Well, considering he had enough drugs that "a Dallas County magistrate set the $1 million bond on the drug charge" alone...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The article didn't mention federal authorities until the end. I was wondering how they filed UCW charges for having a gun in a "gun-free school zone" since the Texas law isn't a stand-alone crime. Ours is a penalty-enhancement provision. It can be used to enhance the drug charge. Apparently he's being changed under federal law.

Chas.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

:tiphat: to the Rowlett Police on this one!
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

You see! That's why we shouldn't have teachers, staff, or other LTC carrying in schools!

</sarcasm>
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I get the fact he's not old enough to purchase the rifle. That would be 18 which is considered the age at which legally you are an adult. You can join the military, vote, buy a rifle, buy a lottery ticket, a pack of smokes... How is it a 17 year old is considered an adult when he does something against the law? I've heard the excuse because he knew it was against the law or wrong. My 4 year old knows certain things are wrong and when she does them, should she be punished as an adult? She knew better. It seems the courts like to pick and chose when someone is legally an adult when the outcome benefits someone other than the individual.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jason812 wrote:I get the fact he's not old enough to purchase the rifle. That would be 18 which is considered the age at which legally you are an adult. You can join the military, vote, buy a rifle, buy a lottery ticket, a pack of smokes... How is it a 17 year old is considered an adult when he does something against the law? I've heard the excuse because he knew it was against the law or wrong. My 4 year old knows certain things are wrong and when she does them, should she be punished as an adult? She knew better. It seems the courts like to pick and chose when someone is legally an adult when the outcome benefits someone other than the individual.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ ... 32226.html
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

jason812 wrote:I get the fact he's not old enough to purchase the rifle. That would be 18 which is considered the age at which legally you are an adult. You can join the military, vote, buy a rifle, buy a lottery ticket, a pack of smokes... How is it a 17 year old is considered an adult when he does something against the law? I've heard the excuse because he knew it was against the law or wrong. My 4 year old knows certain things are wrong and when she does them, should she be punished as an adult? She knew better. It seems the courts like to pick and chose when someone is legally an adult when the outcome benefits someone other than the individual.
Last I knew, a 17 yo who hasn't been in trouble as a juvenile is automatically charged as an adult. A 17 yo who has been in trouble is a juvenile until 18 unless adjudicated an adult.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

"Home schooled"? Looks like his next topic of study is going to be the federal legal system.......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

LeonCarr
Possession of a rifle by a 17 year old is not a crime. Also, allowing access is restricted to younger than 17, so no crime committed there either.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Keith B wrote:Possession of a rifle by a 17 year old is not a crime. Also, allowing access is restricted to younger than 17, so no crime committed there either.
This is the part of the story that has me wondering if we didn’t just read another edition of the Minority Report. If indeed he was not committing a crime by simple possession of the firearm, then ever other charge is fruit of the poisonous tree. The PD arrested him based on possession and then found some sort of drugs and 100rds during an illegal search.

Don’t get me wrong, I also think that whatever he had planned we are probably better off that they prevented him from doing it. However if the whole story is what is in that article a decent defense atty should be able to get him off with no charges or court costs.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Keith B wrote:

LeonCarr
Possession of a rifle by a 17 year old is not a crime. Also, allowing access is restricted to younger than 17, so no crime committed there either.
In a school zone?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

OlBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:

LeonCarr
In a school zone?
Read Charles' post above. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “The Crime Blotter”