TX: Package bombs in Austin

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

philip964
Posts in topic: 8

Re: TX: Package bombs in Austin

Post by philip964 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... bings.html

Bomb with shrapnel explodes in Fed X sorting center in SA. Package headed to Austin.

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

Second (undetonated) bomb at same FedEx facility: https://www.yahoo.com/news/2nd-bomb-fou ... 29519.html

Heard elsewhere that it was shipped by same person as the first package.
USAF 1982-2005

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Just playing amateur FBI agent here, but weren't the first bombs hand placed on victim's door steps in Austin (meaning that the unsub was physically in Austin)? If he/she is now mailing bombs from SA to Austin, then are they taking a road trip and just didn't want to have a break in their killing spree? It seems very odd.

When I first heard about this latest bomb, I thought the unsub was shipping bombs to other cities and they went through a distribution center in SA. That would make more sense, IMHO.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

Believe it's a case of shipped from Austin to Austin, but the packages being processed and sorted outside the city.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

ELB wrote:Second (undetonated) bomb at same FedEx facility: https://www.yahoo.com/news/2nd-bomb-fou ... 29519.html

Heard elsewhere that it was shipped by same person as the first package.
Ok, not a bomb.
The department (SAPD) says in a news release police Chief William McManus misspoke at a news conference earlier Tuesday and that there was only one package bomb at the Schertz facility — the one that exploded.
https://www.wthr.com/article/police-say ... enter-bomb
USAF 1982-2005

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Did the 'unabomber' escape?

Or, is this possibly a 'unabomber' copy cat?

Or, as is quite possible, this is more Muslim terrorism?

After all, Austin is the Amsterdam of Texas with it's love of all things considered perverted by radical Islamists.

Things like a happy acceptance of homosexuality, the popularity of casual/recreational drug use, women not being forced to sport hijabs while not covering their heads all without peek-aboo veils too...and so forth.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Abraham wrote:Did the 'unabomber' escape?

Or, is this possibly a 'unabomber' copy cat?

Or, as is quite possible, this is more Muslim terrorism?

After all, Austin is the Amsterdam of Texas with it's love of all things considered perverted by radical Islamists.

Things like a happy acceptance of homosexuality, the popularity of casual/recreational drug use, women not being forced to sport hijabs while not covering their heads all without peek-aboo veils too...and so forth.
I'm going with a bored bomb squad member... until proved otherwise. But you could also very well be correct. How much training on how to make an IED was in Iraq over the last decade and a half?
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Best not to assume anything about who is doing this or why.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RossA »

What right do they have to shut down the neighborhood? I could understand the immediate area around the blast until evidence could be collected, and keeping rubberneckers out of the area, but if you have ID and can prove that you live there, you should be able to come and go as you please as long as you are not interfering with the police work.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

RossA wrote:What right do they have to shut down the neighborhood? I could understand the immediate area around the blast until evidence could be collected, and keeping rubberneckers out of the area, but if you have ID and can prove that you live there, you should be able to come and go as you please as long as you are not interfering with the police work.
Most likely justified as a safety measure so they can check the area to ensure other devices are not present and so that they can interview all potential witnesses without anyone leaving.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

G.A. Heath wrote:
RossA wrote:What right do they have to shut down the neighborhood? I could understand the immediate area around the blast until evidence could be collected, and keeping rubberneckers out of the area, but if you have ID and can prove that you live there, you should be able to come and go as you please as long as you are not interfering with the police work.
Most likely justified as a safety measure so they can check the area to ensure other devices are not present and so that they can interview all potential witnesses without anyone leaving.

Sounds like a unjust dentintion to me.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

WTR wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:

Same here, but it will be 'justified' as necessary.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I had an incident here with a neighbor threatening to commit suicide. They would not let me drive to my home. I asked if he had a weapon. No.....he was theatimg to take an over dose of pills. I asked the obviously rookie Policeman if they were afraid he could throw them far enough to hit my house or my stock. ( about a 1/3 mile away from me. He just stammered. When he walked away I drove on through. An hour later an Officer was at my door..... Just asked if could use my restroom. About 8 SWAT cars and two ambulances for this. Taxpayer money I guess.

krieghoff
Posts in topic: 9

Post by krieghoff »

G.A. Heath wrote:
WTR wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:

Same here, but it will be 'justified' as necessary.
That is exactly what they did,all night long. Since I was in the group that were "held captive" for 24 hours behind police tape because of our location, I had a chance to visit with all of the neighbors on our section of the street. They were all very happy with the way the FBI and ATF went about their work even though we were questioned at 2 AM and throughout the day Monday. I was just down at the scene to take a couple of pictures to send to my son and saw other friends from around the neighborhood and without exception they commended both groups on their professionalism.
The entire subdivision was not held for 24 hours. They began releasing the majority of the folks by 10 AM yesterday morning by way of a street way off from the crime scene area. If you knew the layout of the streets you can understand why they did what they did.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Just playing amateur FBI agent here, but weren't the first bombs hand placed on victim's door steps in Austin (meaning that the unsub was physically in Austin)? If he/she is now mailing bombs from SA to Austin, then are they taking a road trip and just didn't want to have a break in their killing spree? It seems very odd.

When I first heard about this latest bomb, I thought the unsub was shipping bombs to other cities and they went through a distribution center in SA. That would make more sense, IMHO.
I wouldn't be surprised if the tripwire bomb was set by a different person than the first three, inspired by the press coverage. I wouldn't be surprised if the shipped packages were still another person.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”