Video released of Oklahoma bond agent fatally shooting man

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Video released of Oklahoma bond agent fatally shooting man

Post by PriestTheRunner »

1st degree murder.... Not a chance.
3rd degree murder.... Extremely likely
Manslaughter.... Definitely.

I can't stand DA's that pursue their own fame and glory over justice. Should have been a third degree murder charge with a manslaughter plea deal offered IMO. Now a (apparent) murderer walks free.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AJSully421 »

Grundy1133 wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:The story that I read said that her statement was that he reached for the gun and that is the only reason why she fired.

Her word against... no one, so she walks.
the only gun i saw was the one in the hands of the murderer.. did they ever present another gun in the court room? the one he allegedly "reached for"? Cause in that video he doesn't appear to reach for a gun. he looks like hes trying to stay away from her.. either way even IF he was reaching for HER gun, she ended up with it so he is no longer a threat. still not justified.
No, no... he reached out towards her gun, the one that she already had pointed at him, not that he had a gun.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 5

Post by warnmar10 »

I Hate Dry Counties wrote:... but I couldn’t tell what happened right before she shot him (he was off screen).
AJSully421 wrote:No, no... he reached out towards her gun, the one that she already had pointed at him, not that he had a gun.
Carey then pulls a gun from a desk and fires once, fatally striking Williams in the back. Carey testified that the shooting was self-defense.
https://www.ksat.com/news/video-release ... ooting-man

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CoffeeNut »

Yikes! She should be glad I wasn't on the jury.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Grundy1133 »

warnmar10 wrote:
I Hate Dry Counties wrote:... but I couldn’t tell what happened right before she shot him (he was off screen).
AJSully421 wrote:No, no... he reached out towards her gun, the one that she already had pointed at him, not that he had a gun.
Carey then pulls a gun from a desk and fires once, fatally striking Williams in the back. Carey testified that the shooting was self-defense.
but why did she grab the gun to begin with. he wasnt a threat.
NRA Member

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Grundy1133 wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
Dang... unless she said that he reached for her gun and then turned away as she reacted and pulled the trigger... I don’t see how this is anything but Second Degree Murder.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Grundy1133 wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
In the video it appears she grabbed the gun specifically to shoot that man.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

She should probably get ready for the wrongful death civil suit. If she has assets it shouldn't be hard to find someone to take it on contingency.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Grundy1133 »

warnmar10 wrote:She should probably get ready for the wrongful death civil suit. If she has assets it shouldn't be hard to find someone to take it on contingency.
im hoping she gets re-tried for 2nd degree...
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Grundy1133 wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:She should probably get ready for the wrongful death civil suit. If she has assets it shouldn't be hard to find someone to take it on contingency.
im hoping she gets re-tried for 2nd degree...
No double jeopardy in the U.S.

Chas.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

PriestTheRunner wrote:1st degree murder.... Not a chance.

I can't stand DA's that pursue their own fame and glory over justice. Should have been a third degree murder charge with a manslaughter plea deal offered IMO. Now a (apparent) murderer walks free.
What on earth is 3rd degree murder? No such thing exists in Oklahoma law. Nor in Texas law for that matter.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 3

Post by PriestTheRunner »

AJSully421 wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:1st degree murder.... Not a chance.

What on earth is 3rd degree murder? No such thing exists in Oklahoma law. Nor in Texas law for that matter.
Third Degree Murder
So how does third degree murder fit in? It's important to note that third degree murder may not be a classification in all states, and the definition of third degree murder differs from state to state. Some states, for example, may define third degree murder generally as a murder that does not meet the requirements of first or second degree murder and that does not occur during the commission of some other felony. Additionally, third degree murder may be classified differently than the other degrees of murder in that malice is not the required mental state.
https://study.com/academy/lesson/third- ... esson.html

In Texas and Ok (from my understanding), its voluntary manslaughter. As we make voluntary manslaughter a felony here, there is no need for a felony level murder charge that doesn't fit first or second degree murder. But 3rd degree murder is a thing in law.

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Grundy1133 wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
Having dealt with felons, that is not a bet I would make.
:mad5
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:...but why did she grab the gun to begin with. he wasnt a threat.
Having dealt with felons, that is not a bet I would make.
:mad5[/quote]

No, I wouldn't either, but she didn't act like she thought he was a going to a be a problem. She calls an adult male (and he was not weak looking) into her office, with only her young (teenage?) son there as well, to slap the cuffs on him? Aside from the young boy probably not being of much help in an altercation, it was her son for crying out loud. Who puts their kid in that situation?

In any case I don't see from the video how she was not convicted.

Holy smokes.
USAF 1982-2005

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:Having dealt with felons, that is not a bet I would make.
:mad5
I would argue that in her line of work her weapon be in a holster on her person at all times. But that's me.
What seems clear to me is that she was PO'd at the man. She opened the desk drawer, fumbled around in the drawer for a few seconds then grabbed her pistol and shot the man, reportedly in the back.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”