CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts: 5963
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby philip964 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unarmed-blac ... 06486.html

Police mistook cell phone in his hand for a gun.

At first sounds pretty bad for police what with him in his backyard and everything.

Press of course trying to make a lot from it, since there may be a racial difference between the police and the dead man.

However, at night. And if you watch the video, man is no angel. Most of us don’t spend our evenings breaking car windows in our neighborhood, and running through backyards, jumping fences.

Watch the video, cool how it shows the people bright white. Wish the helicopter didn’t circle around.

Hope the officers are not charged.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 3154
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:25 pm

philip964 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/unarmed-black-man-stephon-clark-172106486.html

Police mistook cell phone in his hand for a gun.

At first sounds pretty bad for police what with him in his backyard and everything.

Press of course trying to make a lot from it, since there may be a racial difference between the police and the dead man.

However, at night. And if you watch the video, man is no angel. Most of us don’t spend our evenings breaking car windows in our neighborhood, and running through backyards, jumping fences.

Watch the video, cool how it shows the people bright white. Wish the helicopter didn’t circle around.

Hope the officers are not charged.


I hope the officers are not guilty of a crime. But if they are guilty, then I hope they ARE charged, found guilty and punished appropriately. I'm assuming this is what you mean by the last statement of your post.

Killed in his own back yard sounds bad, but as I mentioned in a recent post, I "shot" a man with a cell phone during a use of force simulation I recently did while in Vegas. It is tough to distinguish exactly what is in someone's hands in the dark. Going forward, I think I would avoid having anything in my hands when confronted by police, and would just drop whatever I did have. A broken cell phone is the least of your worries in this type of situation.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby rotor » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Shows that you can't hide from a thermal camera. Cops shot 20 rounds. If you or I were confronted by someone and used deadly force for what turned out to be a cell phone we would be in big trouble. The cop that killed the Australian woman with a cell phone in her hand is still free. There are just too many of these types of story's. I realize that they have a dangerous job but what we see over and over is shooting without adequate time for the alleged BG to respond.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 3317
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby bblhd672 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 pm

rotor wrote:The cop that killed the Australian woman with a cell phone in her hand is still free.


Mohammed Noor was charged Tuesday with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, released on $400,000 bail.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
Si vis pacem, para bellum


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts: 5963
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby philip964 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:34 am

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/us/sacra ... index.html

Black LIves Matter block most ticket holders from entering Rockets game with Sacramento last night. Protest over unarmed black man being shot by police in grandmothers back yard.

User avatar

Syntyr
Senior Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby Syntyr » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am

Turns out the guy was a thief, was not in his backyard and pointed the cellphone like it was a gun.

http://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatter ... ssion=true

But the media already has the narrative out there and they will flog it like a dead horse.
Syntyr
Happiness is two at low eight!

User avatar

nightmare69
Senior Member
Posts: 2022
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby nightmare69 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:21 am

Comply, comply, comply. That is all you have to do. Don't run, reach, or point anything that could resemble a firearm in the direction of an officer and you will continue to remain vertical. In low light conditions, pointing a hair brush could mistaken as a firearm. Why would someone do that anyway? Its like they are trying to get the cops to open fire. If he did point is Iphone towards the officers, then he won the stupid award. Congrats.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby rotor » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:17 pm

nightmare69 wrote:Comply, comply, comply. That is all you have to do. Don't run, reach, or point anything that could resemble a firearm in the direction of an officer and you will continue to remain vertical. In low light conditions, pointing a hair brush could mistaken as a firearm. Why would someone do that anyway? Its like they are trying to get the cops to open fire. If he did point is Iphone towards the officers, then he won the stupid award. Congrats.

I watched the video. "Show me your hands" and instantly "gun,gun,gun" and instantly they are shooting. All instantly at least from what the video shows. Nobody would have time to "comply". I don't know the real status of this kid but I put myself in that picture and know that those cops acted so fast that I would have been dead too no matter what I did. They got off 20 rounds pretty fast. Normally I side with the cops but this video has me wondering.


PriestTheRunner
Junior Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby PriestTheRunner » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:21 pm

rotor wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Comply, comply, comply. That is all you have to do. Don't run, reach, or point anything that could resemble a firearm in the direction of an officer and you will continue to remain vertical. In low light conditions, pointing a hair brush could mistaken as a firearm. Why would someone do that anyway? Its like they are trying to get the cops to open fire. If he did point is Iphone towards the officers, then he won the stupid award. Congrats.

I watched the video. "Show me your hands" and instantly "gun,gun,gun" and instantly they are shooting. All instantly at least from what the video shows. Nobody would have time to "comply". I don't know the real status of this kid but I put myself in that picture and know that those cops acted so fast that I would have been dead too no matter what I did. They got off 20 rounds pretty fast. Normally I side with the cops but this video has me wondering.


Except instead of immediately complying, he ran around the back of the house.... If he had laid down on the front yard we wouldn't be reading about this and he would've gotten a several-month slap on the wrist with some probation.

Comparing this to the 'robbery gone bad auto parts' story, there is a reason LEO's go fence hopping and door- busting over so called "petty" crime. Eventually, the disregard for society and the lives of others means the theif/robber will take a life (with only a few exceptions).

Example: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/inside-the-criminal-mind/201105/the-criminal-views-himself-good-person

The mindset of I'm getting what belongs to me (through theft) is something that starts small and expands drastically, to the point that even convicted (confessed) murders consider themselves good people.

Long story short, police tell you to stop or get on the ground, running to the back yard (out of sight) and holding anything is not a great idea.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2664
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby rotor » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:11 pm

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Except instead of immediately complying, he ran around the back of the house.... If he had laid down on the front yard we wouldn't be reading about this and he would've gotten a several-month slap on the wrist with some probation.

Comparing this to the 'robbery gone bad auto parts' story, there is a reason LEO's go fence hopping and door- busting over so called "petty" crime. Eventually, the disregard for society and the lives of others means the theif/robber will take a life (with only a few exceptions).

Example: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/inside-the-criminal-mind/201105/the-criminal-views-himself-good-person

The mindset of I'm getting what belongs to me (through theft) is something that starts small and expands drastically, to the point that even convicted (confessed) murders consider themselves good people.

Long story short, police tell you to stop or get on the ground, running to the back yard (out of sight) and holding anything is not a great idea.

I didn't get this from the video I saw. I saw and heard "show me your hands" and almost instantly "gun,gun,gun" and instantly two cops firing. I didn't see any orders to comply to except the "show me your hands" and when he did the cell phone looked like a gun, for a full two cops shooting 20 rounds. Perhaps there is more video coming. Was he given orders to lay down in his front yard?

I also just saw this...
https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatte ... ssion=true

according to that report...
Officers on the ground spotted Clark as he moved along the side of his grandparents’ home, and “gave the suspect commands to stop and show his hands,” police said, according to The Sacramento Bee. “[He] immediately fled from the officers and ran towards the back of the home.”

But, when you watch the video it is almost instantaneous when they order him to show his hands and almost instantaneous when they shoot. I don't know which to believe.


PriestTheRunner
Junior Member
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby PriestTheRunner » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Watch the heli video. It shows the first interaction in the front of the house.


Topic author
philip964
Senior Member
Posts: 5963
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby philip964 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:39 pm



Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 7526
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: CA: Police shoot and kill unarmed man in his grandmother’s backyard

Postby Abraham » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:52 pm

People often 'think' they can argue when told to comply by L.E.

Stand there and demand the answer to your stupid questions 'like why' or 'you can't tell me what to do'...keep on thinking that while thinking about your stupid self's headstone preferance...polished granite maybe or just a little metal plack...

Guess what?

It's not a negotiable situation when it comes to doing what L.E. tells you.

Do it!

Argue about the legality of being told what to do later...cuz, you know...you'll still be alive.

(and put that phone away before the cops arrive - it wasn't transplanted to your hand)


Return to “The Crime Blotter”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests