Active Shooter reported at Santa Fe High School

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bbhack
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Active Shooter reported at Santa Fe High School

Post by bbhack »

I say the family always knows. Maybe not the inevitability, but certainly the potential. I doubt this case will be different.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MaduroBU »

Kids with proper socialization can play violent games without ill effect. Kids without proper socialization, particularly those kids who lack good parents, will internalize that fictitious violence in terrifying ways.

Malignant narcissism is a word that I have seen used to describe these shooters, a term that I am struggling to square with Korem's theory that high fearful/high disorder individuals tend toward these sorts of violent acts. I often wonder how often autism spectrum disorder is at play, since it rarely reaches the scale seen in Adam Lanza. There can't be just one factor, but so often these shooters are virtual clones of one another. Further, how many kids are there who outwardly appear very similar, but who never commit acts of violence? The appeal of Korem's theory to me is that it attempts to distill out the tiny fraction of violent actors from the large numbers of odd, ostracized kids.

Crossroads
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossroads »

chamberc your family is in our prayers
Neither a wise man or a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Beiruty wrote:No one is pointing that the shooter was Shooting GAMEs addict.
To me this doesn’t matter. MILLIONS of people play” shooting” games including me and my friends who are LTC etc and would never even fathom something like this.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Chamber I am so very sorry to hear this.
Psalm 91:2

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Beiruty »

Killadocg23 wrote:
Beiruty wrote:No one is pointing that the shooter was Shooting GAMEs addict.
To me this doesn’t matter. MILLIONS of people play” shooting” games including me and my friends who are LTC etc and would never even fathom something like this.
No it matters. Violent games would desensitize some of the players to the value of human being. If you look at many school shooters, they played a lot of so called 1st person shooters.

I played all kind of games from Tetris, to Wing Commander Space Shooters, to Unreal to you name it. I am not a monster.
However, there a handful of failed young souls who think they are victims of unfair society and decide to go super nova.
Worse the Cartoon literature provided a sick and demon character such as the....
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

chamberc wrote:She's dead. Confirmed.
Heartbreaking. If only words could heal such tragedy.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Rafe wrote:This is Texas, darnit. Why couldn't this have been "High school student able to get shotgun into school under a trench coat. When he presented the gun and prepared to fire, he was neutralized by a teacher who was trained and licensed. No one at the school injured but the attempted shooter."
This! :iagree:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

flechero

Post by flechero »

MaduroBU wrote:Kids with proper socialization can play violent games without ill effect.
I'm going to disagree. Unless you define without ill effects as just not becoming a mass murderer. We're just now seeing the effects of a generation who have played the life-like games with "good" graphics and realistic killing... I fear lots more of this.

I spent 20 years in recruiting and have interviewed thousands of people... the tech/video game generation is a serious social train wreck. Sure many are smart but they can't communicate with other people, without a device or deal with their emotions.

I've banned many of the Xbox games from my son and limited his playing time on others due to the extreme violence... watch even a good kid [with a solid home life] play one of those games for 30 minutes and you'll see him salivating for the next kill. They don't want to "win" the game or level, it's about the kill. There is nothing benign about it.

I agree wholeheartedly that good parenting is key, but with no standard, no objective oversight or legal authority- you can't regulate that. There aren't many easy answers. :tiphat:

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Boy child spent a lot of time playing a wide range of video games growing up. He's 22 now and still does. Until he was in his mid to upper teens they were always played in a family area in our home. He eventually got his own computer and played them in his room. While we did not constantly monitor his gaming activity, he was not isolated from the rest of the family.
Without others to provide, well, most of the supportive things a family should be providing, there is an opportunity for people to isolate themselves within a world of video games. Some people are susceptible to being brainwashed, others are not. Modern, violent video games make it possible for people to brainwash themselves instead of requiring other humans to provide the constant, persuasive stimuli. An over-simplification, perhaps, but I believe there is something to it.
BTW; I am not in favor of banning any categories of video games, and I don't believe that we can force people who have children to be good parents. I do believe that public schools have a responsibility to protect the people within them, and that as long as school administrators are allowed to shrug off that responsibility these horrible events will continue to happen.

Jeff

flechero

Post by flechero »

Boxerrider wrote: BTW; I am not in favor of banning any categories of video games, and I don't believe that we can force people who have children to be good parents. I do believe that public schools have a responsibility to protect the people within them, and that as long as school administrators are allowed to shrug off that responsibility these horrible events will continue to happen.

Jeff

Well stated. I think the goal should be to keep the younger kids away from the violent games, while they are so impressionable, but an outright ban is no better for games than it is for guns.

And I agree 100% about school administrators... I sure would like to see our schools better secured and better prepared.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Step 1
Identify the Problem:

What do these school mass shooters have in common?

(hint: Symbols, [used by Antifa])
Attachments
SantaFeshooter-jacket.jpg
Santa Fe Demitri with sickle & Hammer
Santa Fe Demitri with sickle & Hammer
Parkland Cruz withy Sickle & Hammer
Parkland Cruz withy Sickle & Hammer

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

NotRPB wrote:Step 1
Identify the Problem:

What do these school mass shooters have in common?

(hint: Symbols, [used by Antifa])
Links to shooter and ANTIFA apparently are fake news with fake social media accounts having been set up to disiminate this garbage. I watched FOX most of the evening after work and no mention of a possible come toon was even hinted at.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

No one claims their linked to Antifa.
The claim is they both had the hammer and sickle symbol used by Antifa

Same with people Influenced by ISIS, that doesn't mean they went there, got trained and paid dues and joined ISIS.

These school shooters being influenced by that ideology is a red flag people should watch for. If I see something like a kid wearing Hammer and sickle symbols, my awareness just goes up another level. And, perhaps it should. Fool me once shame on you/fool me twice ... I should pay better attention.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”