TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Re: TX: one dead at shooting during police protest in downtown Austin tonight

Post by C-dub »

Ah, so not due to this shooting.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

CCW Safe article in which Don West, National Trial Counsel for CCW Safe and George Zimmerman's attorney, discusses this incident.
https://ccwsafe.com/blog/shots-fired-at ... test-march
Despite Foster’s brazen yet legal decision to open carry a rifle at a protest, and despite the fact Sgt. Perry has admitted to killing Foster, it may be that the third party who fired harmless shots in the immediate aftermath of a homicide is the least justified in his actions with his firearm. This is all speculation based only on the facts we know; the investigations are still open, and no one has been charged or formally exonerated.

The lesson for concealed carriers is this: How and when you carry a firearm, and whether you are justified in using that weapon in self-defense, is entirely contingent on the immediate circumstances. As a concealed carrier, you have the responsibility to maintain situational awareness at all times. Even if it’s legal to open carry a firearm, consider how your decision to open carry might be interpreted by strangers around you who don’t know your intentions. Don’t use your firearm in self-defense unless you perceive a threat that has the immediate ability and intent to inflict serious harm or cause your death. Finally, understand that as soon as a threat is no longer imminent, the legal justification for firing your weapon immediately vanishes.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:28 pm CCW Safe article in which Don West, National Trial Counsel for CCW Safe and George Zimmerman's attorney, discusses this incident.
https://ccwsafe.com/blog/shots-fired-at ... test-march
The lesson for concealed carriers is this: How and when you carry a firearm, and whether you are justified in using that weapon in self-defense, is entirely contingent on the immediate circumstances. As a concealed carrier, you have the responsibility to maintain situational awareness at all times. Even if it’s legal to open carry a firearm, consider how your decision to open carry might be interpreted by strangers around you who don’t know your intentions. Don’t use your firearm in self-defense unless you perceive a threat that has the immediate ability and intent to inflict serious harm or cause your death. Finally, understand that as soon as a threat is no longer imminent, the legal justification for firing your weapon immediately vanishes.
These words have been spoken many times over the years on this forum. There is much wisdom in that advice. Carrying a firearm, either concealed or open is something that comes with huge responsibilities. All should see it as such.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by der Teufel »

Going to a Grand Jury: https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local ... 3d6df14561

Nearly one year after Garrett Foster, an Austin Black Lives Matter protester, was shot and killed, a Travis County grand jury will decide whether charges will be brought in his death.

Travis County District Attorney José Garza announced Friday that the grand jury will decide in the next several weeks if the shooter will face charges in the armed protester's July 25, 2020, death.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

I find the timing of this grand jury extremely suspect. Now that things are getting riled up again, they bring this back from a year ago??

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 18

Post by philip964 »

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/b ... e-n1466886

Austin’s star police detective accused DA of criminal witness tampering in this case.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 18

Post by philip964 »

https://thepostmillennial.com/murder-tr ... n-2020?cfp

The trial that should not have happened, has started in Austin.

This may determine if Austin is really part of Texas and if the Capital of Texas needs to be moved.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AF-Odin »

I will be watching this trial closely. Would never have gone to trial and original determination of justifiable self-defense would have stood had Austin NOT elected a George Soros backed DA. Over 2 1/2 years that this Soldiers life and career have been held in limbo as the Army could do nothing and he could do nothing in the Army except the most boring and menial jobs while awaiting trial. According the the photo posted in the local paper, he was an Infantryman yet due to being indicted for a crime, could not be around weapons so nothing to do with his primary job.

I pray the people of Austin will see what a complete farce this prosecution is.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Paladin
Posts in topic: 38

Post by Paladin »

AF-Odin wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:19 am I pray the people of Austin will see what a complete farce this prosecution is.
:iagree:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin
Posts in topic: 38

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:51 pm https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/b ... e-n1466886

Austin’s star police detective accused DA of criminal witness tampering in this case.
Fugitt accuses the district attorney’s office of engaging in unethical and criminal behavior.

“I firmly believe the District Attorney’s Office, acting under the authority of Jose P. Garza, tampered with me as a witness,” Detective Fugitt says in the sworn affidavit. “Often witness tampering is subtle. In this case, there were foreseeable consequences if I did not comply and tailor my grand jury presentation as directed and failure to do so would adversely affect my working relationship with the District Attorney’s Office for the foreseeable future. I was afforded no choice but to comply with the directives that were issued to me by Jose Garza through his assistants.”

“I am familiar with the crime of witness tampering as set out in the Texas Penal Code and under the circumstances believe myself to be a victim of such tampering,” he said. “Furthermore, in coordination with my direct chain of command, I sought legal advice from Chris Coppola, Assistant City Attorney.”

Witness tampering is a third-degree felony in Texas punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
Justice would have Garza being the one on trial.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

I recall the incident - the BLM protester lifted his AK and pointed it at Perry as he tried to work his car through the crowd, and this is confirmed with photos. Regardless, Garza is trying his utmost to do a Derek Chauvin on this guy. It's just digusting what so many liberals manage to get away with. I will certainly pray for Sgt. Perry.
-Ruark

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Are any news organizations providing full courtroom coverage on this trial? I would really like to see the entire trial, including the deliberations at the bench between the prosecution & defense that are excluded from the jury.

In both the Kyle Rittenhouse & Derek Chauvin trials it was easy to put together a clearer picture, and see thru the prosecution's antics, when seeing the entirety of the trial. For example, Chauvin's defense wanted to call the drug dealer that was in the car with George Floyd to the stand to establish reasonable doubt regarding the proximate cause of Floyd's death (overdose by ingestion of fentanyl vs officers use of force). Since the prosecutor had already filed charges against the guy in the car but his trial date was still pending, they argued if called to the stand he would prejudice the jury in favor of the defense because he would merely respond "I plead the Fifth" to whatever questions the defense would ask since anything he said could hammer him during his own trial. Since the defense lawyer couldn't think of anything relevant to the case that wouldn't elicit a "Fifth Amendment" response from the witness (because anything relevant would likely implicate the guy in a crime), the judge ruled that guy couldn't be called as a witness in the Chauvin trial.

I would love to see what potentially exculpatory evidence is excluded from the jury's eyes/ears in SGT Perry's trial by a savvy, politically motivated prosecutor.

All I could find last night was a couple 1-2 minute clips of Foster's fiance/family/friends giving emotional testimony. Not really helpful in painting a real & unbiased picture.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”