HB 954- Parking lot with last session's text?

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
artx
Posts in topic: 1

HB 954- Parking lot with last session's text?

Post by artx »

I got the automatic notice that HB 954 was filed by Lozano in the TX house - this looks like last session (2009's) employee parking lot bill

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB954

I much prefer the (TSRA supported) HB681 and SB 354 (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=SB354.

HB 681 and SB 354 allow you to keep your firearm in your car; HB 954 offers the 'alternate storage location' that would A) out employees and B) be much more inconvenient than leaving your firearm in your car - I would bet many employers would make the dropoff/pickup procedure as painful as possible.

I wonder why Rep Lozano filed this one? HB 681 has 4 authors and around 31 coauthors.

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 954- Parking lot with last session's text?

Post by gdanaher »

Likely because he has a constituent in his district that wants the legislation passed in this form.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

I would love that option for my wife. She works at a hospital that has had a number of incidents in the parking lot. The parking lot option would not provide her any protection during the long walk from employee parking to the building entrance. The alternate storage location would provide her a means of defense until she was in the building. Would love to see a bill that provided for both.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

jmra wrote:I would love that option for my wife. She works at a hospital that has had a number of incidents in the parking lot. The parking lot option would not provide her any protection during the long walk from employee parking to the building entrance. The alternate storage location would provide her a means of defense until she was in the building. Would love to see a bill that provided for both.
You do realize that a separate "guns" parking lot is one of the alternatives for employers in that bill?

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

cbr600 wrote:
jmra wrote:I would love that option for my wife. She works at a hospital that has had a number of incidents in the parking lot. The parking lot option would not provide her any protection during the long walk from employee parking to the building entrance. The alternate storage location would provide her a means of defense until she was in the building. Would love to see a bill that provided for both.
You do realize that a separate "guns" parking lot is one of the alternatives for employers in that bill?
I guess I should have been more clear. I don't know anything about the bill in question and am not suggesting that I support the bill. I am saying that I would love for my wife to be able to carry from the car into the building. Would not have any problem with checking in with security once she entered the building and placing the gun into some kind of secure locker. Nurses often have to work odd hours. The most dangerous part of her job is walking between the car and the building.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”