Anyone else in house district 134 (Sarah Davis)?

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 5

Anyone else in house district 134 (Sarah Davis)?

Post by RHenriksen »

I'm frustrated w. her... she's signed on as co-author to HB 698, but *not* 681 or 750.

HB 698 annoys me to no end - it's the 'some pigs are more equal than others' bill. Would allow CHL holders who are school board members to carry to meetings, but *not* any other CHL holders to carry @ that same time/place. Bah. Clearly, the lives of school board members are more valuable than the lives of the students' parents. And we couldn't let parent CHL holders carry to meetings, because that's the only thing holding them back from psychotic breaks and slaughtering everyone at the meetings, right? :roll:

For a Republican candidate who barely squeaked past Ellen Cohen last November to flip this district red, it's frustrating behavior out of the gate. I had higher hopes for her.

And, yes - I've emailed her office twice asking her to support 681 & 750.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
RHenriksen

Re: Anyone else in house district 134 (Sarah Davis)?

Post by RHenriksen »

Well, I feel somewhat better. Called her office & spoke to her chief of staff (Vince [something]). He said:

-- she *is* pro-concealed carry
-- [paraphrasing:] she signed on to co-author HB698 without an adequate amount of care & consideration, and has since revised her policy on co-authoring bills. It sounds to me like she regrets that one - 'rookie mistake' was the feeling I had on this topic. Vince was very supportive/understanding of my strong opposition to the 'some pigs are more equal than others' thrust of this bill.
-- she is generally in support of 681 & 750, but is planning on offering an amendment to 750 to allow UT Health Science Center to opt out (which I disagree with, but I'm sure she's got more pressure on that issue than I can counter). Vince says she's also generally in favor of HB 681 as well, but is taking a measured approach to her moves on the bill.

So, I'm generally optimistic, but will continue to monitor.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

RHenriksen wrote:Well, I feel somewhat better. Called her office & spoke to her chief of staff (Vince [something]). He said:

-- [paraphrasing:] she signed on to co-author HB698 without an adequate amount of care & consideration, and has since revised her policy on co-authoring bills. It sounds to me like she regrets that one - 'rookie mistake' was the feeling I had on this topic. Vince was very supportive/understanding of my strong opposition to the 'some pigs are more equal than others' thrust of this bill.
-- she is generally in support of 681 & 750, but is planning on offering an amendment to 750 to allow UT Health Science Center to opt out (which I disagree with, but I'm sure she's got more pressure on that issue than I can counter). Vince says she's also generally in favor of HB 681 as well, but is taking a measured approach to her moves on the bill.

She has signed on to one anti 2nd amendment and She is looking to water another down? Once the let one leak through everyone will be looking for one. It looks to me that she is enemy and needs a few letters ,emails and phone calls from her constituents. Perhaps if she can't stand the pressure she really shouldn't be in office. If she isn't wiling to stand up for a basic human right what does she stand for? If she doesn't investigate a bill before she co-authors one she is more than borderline incompetent
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Liberty wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:Well, I feel somewhat better. Called her office & spoke to her chief of staff (Vince [something]). He said:

She has signed on to one anti 2nd amendment and She is looking to water another down? Once the let one leak through everyone will be looking for one. It looks to me that she is enemy and needs a few letters ,emails and phone calls from her constituents. Perhaps if she can't stand the pressure she really shouldn't be in office. If she isn't wiling to stand up for a basic human right what does she stand for? If she doesn't investigate a bill before she co-authors one she is more than borderline incompetent
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Everyone in Sarah Davis' District needs to call and fax her politely but strongly telling her you expect her to support both campus-carry and employer parking lots. She STRONGLY opposes both and she claims to be a Republican. Don't buy her staff's story. At this point she will not sign on to either bill, but people in HB134 need to let her know that she needs to vote for both bills, even if she doesn't sign-on.

Again, be polite but let her staff know these are non-discretionary votes; vote for both bills!

Chas.

Topic author
RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Boy, that's disappointing to learn, Charles. But better to know than let the wool be pulled over my eyes. Hope there are more 134th member here to add their voices.

Topic author
RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Everyone in Sarah Davis' District needs to call and fax her politely but strongly telling her you expect her to support both campus-carry and employer parking lots. She STRONGLY opposes both and she claims to be a Republican. Don't buy her staff's story. At this point she will not sign on to either bill, but people in HB134 need to let her know that she needs to vote for both bills, even if she doesn't sign-on.

Again, be polite but let her staff know these are non-discretionary votes; vote for both bills!

Chas.
I just got off the phone w. Vince, her chief of staff, to let him know that HB1463 is a crock (as originally written), but I'd love to see Rep. Davis support it *if* it's expanded to all CHL holders.

While I was on the phone, I (gently) told him there seemed to be some unfortunate misunderstandings or mis-communication with his office, as her position on CHLs (as he'd described it to me) was rather at odds w. the TSRA's perception. He dug in his heels, was adamant that she's NOT an anti, and that just because they haven't signed on to co-author 'everything Alice brings through the door' doesn't make them anti-CHL or that she won't ultimately vote for the bills.

Hm... this will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It does sound like that she understands that any no vote will be damaging to her and her future as a Rep.
A good thing. She might not like carrots, but she isn't to crazy about sticks either.
Liberty''s Blog

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stevie_d_64 »

You know I'll be at the Quarterly meeting of the Harris County Republican party this coming Monday evening...My initial knee jerk reaction was great!!! I might run into her...But, alas, she'll probably be back in Austin working and all that...

I know that there will be a few folks from her district that I know that will be there...From Precinct Chairs to other elected officials...

Like Charles basically says, be respectful, and you may get some results we may all like...But then again, you may not...

But in any event, as crase as it may sound, she can be replaced...And that is not a threat, that is just the reality of politics these days...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

StevieD, when & where will this mtg be? I'd be interested in coming...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If Rep. Davis offers an amendment to exempt UT Health Science Center - Houston, or any other entity, then it's an anti-gun amendment.

Chas.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

+1 :iagree:
Liberty''s Blog

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”