HB1167

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

HB1167

Post by Liberty »

What is this HB 1167? It was just filed this week.
It claims to allow Texas CHLs to concealed carry on junior college and technical institute campuses. Makes schools and administrators immune from liability for the firearms. Does not allow carry with reciprocal licenses.

Doesn't HB750 and SB354 accomplish this or aren't Junior Colleges considered Shools of higher learning? Maybe HB1167 is a back up bill just incase the U of T or A&M puts up too much of a fight? Do we need this bill because HB750 and SB354 aren't good enough? Is the TSRA behind this Bill or against it?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: HB1167

Post by RPB »

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Search/D ... ightType=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, first I heard of it.
Perhaps it got filed as Jr colleges often have no "housing" dorms etc in case the others get "bogged down" with that issue.
Last edited by RPB on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

RPB wrote:http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Search/D ... ightType=1

Thanks, first I heard of it.
Perhaps it got filed as Jr colleges often have no "housing" dorms etc in case the others get "bogged down" with that issue.
I'm a little concerned because it it looks to me like it got snuck in too quietly. And might be an attempt to get around passing what we really want.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I'm guessing some county with only a Jr college filed it, not caring what the big-city people do, but wanting to protect THEIR students, Faculty and Staff ...

Like, for example, San Antonio College (2 year college I think) gets armed robbers on campus, even in restrooms, even if you brought your buddy to the bathroom with you, every month or so, and shouldn't have to wait because some "big-name university" can't decide on Campus Apartment/Dorm policies and bathroom procedures.

I'm betting that's why it was filed by someone with only a Jr college in their district probably.
I'm no lawyer

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BrianSW99 »

I went to a town hall type meeting a while back with Rep. Joe Driver. I remember he mentioned at the time there would probably be several variations of the campus carry bills filed this session. I think probably so that if one gets hung up on one issue, at least some of it might get passed in another bill.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

BrianSW99 wrote:I went to a town hall type meeting a while back with Rep. Joe Driver. I remember he mentioned at the time there would probably be several variations of the campus carry bills filed this session. I think probably so that if one gets hung up on one issue, at least some of it might get passed in another bill.
Yep, and spread them among several different "committees" so at least someone gets stuff done and "it" doesn't get buried nor forgotten.
I'm no lawyer

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I can't go into why, but there is a reason this bill was filed.

Chas.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...my boy, just back from Iraq and a new CHL person, started a community(which I think would be a Jr. college) college...some classes online and some on campus...a lot of adults there taking classes...I can see where the administration might not be as concerned with come-and-go carriers as they would with dorm possession...maybe it'll have to be like the original CHL law...MOTHER MAY I...we gain a little ground...we show 'em it works well and safely...we gain a little more ground...as long as the answer's not "No" we're still in the game...my first CHL instructor worked on the original and said we have no idea how much choosing your battles wisely has to do with the great bills they've gotten passed in Texas...I appreciate all the diplomacy behind the scenes... :tiphat:

Douva

Post by Douva »

A lot of legislators are taking up the "campus carry" issue this session. A lot of them are taking different approaches. Some bills (i.e., HB 750/SB354) are better than others, but they're all good bills. I'm just excited to see so many legislators so motivated to get SOMETHING done on this issue.

Obviously, I support allowing concealed carry at all colleges and requiring all public colleges to allow it. But even Rep. Taylor's community college/junior college bill (HB 1167) would be a huge step in the right direction.

From what I've gathered from speaking to the TSRA/NRA, they'd definitely prefer to see HB 750 or SB 354 pass, but they support HB 1167.

W. Scott Lewis
Texas Legislative Director, Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
Editor, CampusCarry.com
http://www.TexasStudentsCarry.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I can't go into why, but there is a reason this bill was filed.

Chas.
So this is a TSRA-supported bill? If so, that's good enough for me.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

hirundo82 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I can't go into why, but there is a reason this bill was filed.

Chas.
So this is a TSRA-supported bill? If so, that's good enough for me.
Not at this point.

Chas.

EconDoc

Post by EconDoc »

Sadly, I teach at a private college that is exempted from all of the current legislation. All that I can do is hope that what we have makes it through the legislature, and, maybe, in five or ten years with no problems, we will get that exemption lifted--about the time I retire. Until then, no matter what happens in the legislature, I will have to work in an unarmed victim zone. My only hope is that the parking lot bill will keep my employer from firing me for having something in my vehicle.

:patriot: :txflag:
Sauron lives and his orc minions are on the march. Free people own guns.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Search/D ... ightType=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HB1356

I searched HB1356 and 1356 didn't find anything so putting it here

82R7236 JSC-D

By: Gooden H.B. No. 1356

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the carrying of concealed [Previous Hit] handguns [Next Hit] on certain premises
of or locations associated with schools or institutions of higher
education.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

RPB wrote:http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Search/D ... ightType=1

HB1356

I searched HB1356 and 1356 didn't find anything so putting it here

82R7236 JSC-D

By: Gooden H.B. No. 1356

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the carrying of concealed [Previous Hit] handguns [Next Hit] on certain premises
of or locations associated with schools or institutions of higher
education.
This looks like another elitist campus carry bill only for Staff.
Liberty''s Blog

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”