Action Needed: Employer Parking Lots

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Action Needed: Employer Parking Lots

Post by rp_photo »

canvasbck wrote:
rp_photo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:IMHO, if your not an employee of the facility owner, you are not protected by SB 321, it doesn't cover contractors or visitors, only direct employees.
In which case you should be OK if there isn't a 30.06.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 6

Post by canvasbck »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
canvasbck wrote:
rp_photo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:All employees who lawfully possess firearms and/or ammo, unless they work at a chemical manufacturing plant or a refinery. In those two locations, you must have a CHL to come within the protection of SB321.

Chas.
I'm assuming that only includes lots and areas outside of the main gates.

I normally work in an office environment, but often visit area refineries and plants. In some I have have drive-in privledge, but at others I must park in visitor lots outside security.

I do have a CHL and am curious how this would all apply to me.

I wonder if plants can use MARSEC and terror threat levels to negate the new law?
IMHO, if your not an employee of the facility owner, you are not protected by SB 321, it doesn't cover contractors or visitors, only direct employees.
Correct. We considered trying to add that in conference committee, but the overall opinion was that was so far "out of bounds" it might kill the bill. (Come on 2013.)

Chas.

Glad to know I'm right about that. As the FSO I am tasked with rewriting our firearms policy for our facility to comply with the new law. Anyone with any ideas on an expanded rights policy that I could sell to management? :eek6
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Ameer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ameer »

rp_photo wrote:I normally work in an office environment, but often visit area refineries and plants. In some I have have drive-in privledge, but at others I must park in visitor lots outside security.

Do they post 30.06 signs or is it illegal for some other reason? Do they search vehicles in visitor lots?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Ameer wrote:
rp_photo wrote:I normally work in an office environment, but often visit area refineries and plants. In some I have have drive-in privledge, but at others I must park in visitor lots outside security.

Do they post 30.06 signs or is it illegal for some other reason? Do they search vehicles in visitor lots?
Very few plants are posted with 30.06. But almost all plants require you to watch a safety video in which you are informed verbally that firearms are not allowed in the plant.

Ameer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ameer »

Inside the plant is different than inside your car. I assume there's also rules about safety goggles or other PPE required inside the plant, but I doubt you have to wear them inside your car. Maybe I'm wrong. :headscratch
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Perhaps I shouldn't have referred to it as a safety video. It's an orientation video. It describes items that are prohibited from inside the secure area such as firearms, drugs, alcohol, ect.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 74novaman »

Texaspublican wrote: Your little internet group has no measure against Texas Business.

Hi Texaspublican! Hope you're still reading this.

I guess you should have written that "Texas business" has no measure against our little internet group. :woohoo :woohoo :woohoo :txflag: :txflag: :fire :fire :fire :fire :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana :lol:: :lol::
TANSTAAFL

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rp_photo »

canvasbck wrote:Perhaps I shouldn't have referred to it as a safety video. It's an orientation video. It describes items that are prohibited from inside the secure area such as firearms, drugs, alcohol, ect.
My favorites are "No sleeping" and "No horseplay", when that's just about all the operators do when things are running smooth ;-)
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

boomstick

Post by boomstick »

Does anyone have any idea as to when this will come across Gov. Perry's desk for signature?
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

It is on his desk now. The problem is no one can say when he will pick it up from the stack. He can take the bills in any order.

If I recall correctly, he has 20 days to sign it or veto it. If he does not sign it or veto it, it becomes law automatically. So, unless he actually vetoes it, it becomes law at midnight on Jun 19. He can sign it into law earlier, but that is the last possible day for us to know either way.
Steve Rothstein

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

Just curious, has anyone from the TSRA or NRA actually had a word with Perry on the issue? And why he decided not fight for campus carry?

Or one of his minions?

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

Just a new query - does anyone know if the Gov. intends to let the law coming into force without his signature? No big, three cheers for the RKBA signing? :thewave

If so, rather wussy for the future president? Harkens back to GWB saying he would sign the AWB and winking that it wouldn't get to him, so he could dodge that bullet/ :leaving

causeican
Posts in topic: 4

Post by causeican »

It's been signed into law!!! http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Now all we have to do is wait until September 1st. :thewave
2/22/10 Plastic
9/4/12 NRA Life Member
2/16/11 TSRA Life Time (EPL) started.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

:anamatedbanana
NRA Endowment Member

Medic218
Posts in topic: 2