Action Needed: Employer parking lots

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

jaldridge
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Action Needed: Employer parking lots

Post by jaldridge »

Just as a note, I sent emails to all of the people listed for contact regarding HB681, and I have gotten quite a few replies. This is important. Contact the list! This reply came from one rep:

===========================

"I am a staunch supporter of our constitutional right to bear arms and protect ourselves and others. The bill has been heard in the House Committee on Business and Industry. As a member of that committee and as a co-author of the bill, I will support it as it moves through the committee process and when it comes to the floor of the House for a vote. Thank you for contacting me."

boomstick
Posts in topic: 3

Post by boomstick »

Just in case anyone needs an email or fax template...

(This one was sent to each committee member that is signed on as a co-author)

To The Honorable State Representative XXXXXXXXXXXX,

I urge you to pass HB681 (Parking Lot Bill) favorably out of committee as soon as possible without amendments.

I appreciate your position to co-author this bill and I encourage you to assist in making this bill a reality during this legislative session.

Second Amendment rights are very important to me and I would like to see this bill out of committee and on the floor for a vote before other concerns such as budget and redistricting overtake it.

Thank you so very much for your time and attention to this matter.

(This one was sent to each comittee member that is NOT a co-author)

To The Honorable State Representative XXXXXXXXXXXX,

I urge you to pass HB681 (Parking Lot Bill) favorably out of committee as soon as possible without amendments.

I encourage you to assist in making this bill a reality during this legislative session and showing support by joining the bill as a co-author.

Second Amendment rights are very important to me and I would like to see this bill out of committee and on the floor for a vote before other concerns such as budget and redistricting overtake it.

Thank you so very much for your time and attention to this matter.
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

adv

Post by adv »

What is the potential timeline for this Bill now?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

adv wrote:What is the potential timeline for this Bill now?
It probably will be voted out of the B&I Committee tomorrow during their regular weekly hearings. From there it goes to the House Calendars Committee where the Speaker may try again to kill the bill.

Chas.

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

then obviously how do we help control the speaker? Thanks
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

gwashorn wrote:then obviously how do we help control the speaker? Thanks
At this point, we don't need public input. We're working on it. If public input is necessary, I'll post it here and TSRA will send an email blast.

Chas.

sherlock7

Post by sherlock7 »

Called every office this morning. Hope my small part helps. Charles, you have made it so easy to contact each; with their telephone and fax numbers. Thank You!

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Senate bill 321 just passed the Senate 31-0, according to Dan Patrick's facebook post
Dan Patrick: Senate just passed SB 321 allowing anyone to bring their gun, CHL or not, onto a company parking lot and locking it in the car Passed 31-0 This is third year it passed Senate Hopefully House will pass it this session Sen Hegar author-I was one of several co-authors
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

I thought it was 30-1, but who cares.
:clapping:
Last edited by C-dub on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

I got a message from Brian Birdwell saying 30-1. But..... You're right. Who cares!! :clapping:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I wish it would go into effect immediately after Perry signs it instead of having to wait until Sep. 1.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

artx
Posts in topic: 6

Post by artx »

Has anyone seen the text of the HB681 committee substitute? I'm hoping the only changes were to make the language match up with SB321. It isn't on the tex legis website yet.

jecsd1
Banned

Post by jecsd1 »

Having just read the text of the bill it states that it will not apply to

"school districts, charter schools and private schools"

Does that mean that anyone who works for a school or a school district is s*** out of luck?!?! What happened to "no carve outs," and "no texan being left unprotected?" It sure seems like a whole lot of honest, law abiding tecahers, custodians, maintenance workers and other school employees just got the shaft.

What gives? I would love to support this bill but I have family that works for a school district.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

jecsd1 wrote:Having just read the text of the bill it states that it will not apply to

"school districts, charter schools and private schools"

Does that mean that anyone who works for a school or a school district is out of luck?!?! What happened to "no carve outs," and "no texan being left unprotected?" It sure seems like a whole lot of honest, law abiding tecahers, custodians, maintenance workers and other school employees just got the shaft.

What gives? I would love to support this bill but I have family that works for a school district.
Yup,

And thats not the only group.

Two words: "Baby Steps"

Maybe we can get more...next session.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

GEM-Texas

Post by GEM-Texas »

What does private school mean - DeVry, ITT, private colleges across the state?

That would take out a lot of folk. It might be a baby step for companies to be covered, but to get the legislature to revisit the issue for schools probably will happen when Perry shoots a mammoth during the Next Ice Age. Bah.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”