HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton


SA-TX
Senior Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Ellis County now; adios Dallas!
Contact:

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby SA-TX » Mon May 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Bullwhip wrote:
para driver wrote:
PATHFINDER wrote:" - who is the cracker going to target???


that's a good question, and I can answer it, as I work in one of 'those' neighborhoods frequently..
they target other druggies for the most part... otherwise I'm just the freindly, non-threatening, computer
guy who drives a 15+ year old truck(who has a loaded 38 in his pocket).. IF I open carried in this area, it would SURELY draw much more attention than I want...

Who said you have to OC? OC bill is for choice, carry how you feel comfortble.


:iagree:

As they say in the British Paraliment, "I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago."


Texas Flyer
Junior Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby Texas Flyer » Tue May 24, 2011 6:52 pm

I've been talking to all of the police officers that I can and my friends that are cops and they ALL have one thing in common.....they are 110% against CHL holders open carrying. The word idiotic comes up a lot when they describe their feelings on the subject. I am a little surprised but I am indifferent. I, of course, just want the OPTION for when it's 100+ degrees during the summer. I guess I won't be carrying during those months. I'm no fan of my weapon being covered in salty sweat. I am a little sad that people still refuse to accept the statistics that prove what type of people CHL holders are on the whole and alter their ignorant perceptions.


hirundo82
Senior Member
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Houston

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby hirundo82 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:01 pm

Texas Flyer wrote:I've been talking to all of the police officers that I can and my friends that are cops and they ALL have one thing in common.....they are 110% against CHL holders open carrying. The word idiotic comes up a lot when they describe their feelings on the subject.

Ask them why they don't conceal when in uniform if concealed carry is so obviously superior to concealed carry.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

User avatar

CleverNickname
Senior Member
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby CleverNickname » Tue May 24, 2011 10:42 pm

hirundo82 wrote:
Texas Flyer wrote:I've been talking to all of the police officers that I can and my friends that are cops and they ALL have one thing in common.....they are 110% against CHL holders open carrying. The word idiotic comes up a lot when they describe their feelings on the subject.

Ask them why they don't conceal when in uniform if concealed carry is so obviously superior to concealed carry.

That would be retarded because if they're in uniform everyone would know that they're still carrying a gun. And guess what, when cops are in plain clothes, they don't open carry.

User avatar

MadMonkey
Senior Member
Posts: 1181
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:23 am
Location: Roanoke, TX
Contact:

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby MadMonkey » Tue May 24, 2011 11:30 pm

CleverNickname wrote:And guess what, when cops are in plain clothes, they don't open carry.


A lot of LEO's do, actually.
"Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God" - Benjamin Franklin


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts: 3841
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby srothstein » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 pm

CleverNickname wrote:That would be retarded because if they're in uniform everyone would know that they're still carrying a gun. And guess what, when cops are in plain clothes, they don't open carry.


I did, for the last four years of my career. I was assigned a plainclothes assignment as a training officer and wore my 1911 in an open carry duty style holster the whole time, both on duty and off. Had a few discussions with the Chief who did not think carrying a visible gun while wearing jeans was professional in appearance, but he had no problem with open carrying in my normal slacks, dress shirt, and tie. While the field agents wore jackets most of the time, no one cared about them taking them off and letting the pistol be seen. The jacket had to be on in some places we went, so as to blend in more with their clientele, but not everywhere.

And in Luling, almost every cop open carries when off duty or in plain clothes. All the locals know who the cops are anyway (and I still get called Sarge here, though i left the agency 5 years ago).
Steve Rothstein

User avatar

Purplehood
Senior Member
Posts: 4638
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby Purplehood » Wed May 25, 2011 6:36 am

CleverNickname wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
Texas Flyer wrote:I've been talking to all of the police officers that I can and my friends that are cops and they ALL have one thing in common.....they are 110% against CHL holders open carrying. The word idiotic comes up a lot when they describe their feelings on the subject.

Ask them why they don't conceal when in uniform if concealed carry is so obviously superior to concealed carry.

That would be retarded because if they're in uniform everyone would know that they're still carrying a gun. And guess what, when cops are in plain clothes, they don't open carry.


Are you new to Texas? I see plainclothes Officers carrying openly rather frequently.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

User avatar

flintknapper
Senior Member
Posts: 4849
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Deep East Texas

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby flintknapper » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 am

CleverNickname wrote:That would be retarded because if they're in uniform everyone would know that they're still carrying a gun. And guess what, when cops are in plain clothes, they don't open carry.



^^^^^^^^^

This is the exact opposite of what I see locally. :headscratch
Spartans ask not how many, but where!


JKTex
Senior Member
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:28 am
Location: Flower Mound

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby JKTex » Wed May 25, 2011 10:17 am

JKTex wrote:The issue of open vs concealed preference always gets dragged into the issue of legislation and it has nothing to do with it. The effort to pas legislation to decriminalize open carry is not about which is more comfortable or which give 1 person a tactical advantage or another some other reason of personal preference.

It's easy for us to loose sight of the bigger picture.

Maybe it would be best to start a new thread for the discussion of preference so this one about the legislation can play itself out (if there's even anything left to play out :) ) :txflag:


Besides that, aside from how to physically carry or the gear, how in the world do we compare civilans and LEO's carrying?

Again, there is no right or wrong answer, there is no single perfect solution for everyone. It's a matter of preference and prudence. It may be my preference, but I have to consider if it's appropriate at the time and in that place.

The thread has officially been run into a ditch. :smilelol5:


Right2Carry
Banned
Posts: 1447
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby Right2Carry » Wed May 25, 2011 10:46 am

CleverNickname wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
Texas Flyer wrote:I've been talking to all of the police officers that I can and my friends that are cops and they ALL have one thing in common.....they are 110% against CHL holders open carrying. The word idiotic comes up a lot when they describe their feelings on the subject.

Ask them why they don't conceal when in uniform if concealed carry is so obviously superior to concealed carry.

That would be retarded because if they're in uniform everyone would know that they're still carrying a gun. And guess what, when cops are in plain clothes, they don't open carry.


I guess I was dreaming the other day. While at lunch at CiCi's pizza 9 plains clothes police officers entered for lunch. Every single one of them were open carrying!!
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985


jimandyen
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 5:37 pm
Location: Arlington, TX.

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby jimandyen » Wed May 25, 2011 12:24 pm

I personally wouldn't OC most of the time so as not to draw any unwanted attention to my family.
On the otherhand I would like to see the OC law passed so I wouldn't have to worry
about any legal problems if my firearm was exposed temporarily whether accidently or just for comfort
such as sitting in a restaurant for example.(Partially concealed ;-) )


JMen7T6
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Granbury, Texas

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby JMen7T6 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Hello All, new to the Forum, but not new to Forums. I have had my CHL since 2001. I have been following the progress of several bills and mostly interested in this one. Could someone please clarify if this bill will completely eliminate Concealed Carry or is it's intent to supplement CHL holders options so we can either carry concealed or openly? With them eliminating the word "concealed" from the handgun laws, it looked like we would not have an option. It would be ONLY Open carry. But then again, if that were the case, the would have to add verbiage on violations of someone caught carrying concealed.

:confused5 a bit confused....

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16591
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Wed May 25, 2011 4:16 pm

JMen7T6 wrote:Hello All, new to the Forum, but not new to Forums. I have had my CHL since 2001. I have been following the progress of several bills and mostly interested in this one. Could someone please clarify if this bill will completely eliminate Concealed Carry or is it's intent to supplement CHL holders options so we can either carry concealed or openly? With them eliminating the word "concealed" from the handgun laws, it looked like we would not have an option. It would be ONLY Open carry. But then again, if that were the case, the would have to add verbiage on violations of someone caught carrying concealed.

:confused5 a bit confused....


Welcome to the TexasCHLforum, we're glad you joined us.

The intent of HB2756 is simply to allow CHL's the option to carry openly or concealed. As written, HB2756 opens up massive sections of the Government Code and Penal Code to potential anti-gun amendments, and this issue has been raised. Although there would be ways to make sure the Bill, if it had passed, would not prohibit concealed-carry (i.e. establishing legislative intent), some people in Austin have commented that a fair reading of HB2756 would include a prohibition of concealed carry. While I would disagree with that interpretation, it is not outside the bounds of reason which means it's something that should have been addressed by the promoters of HB2756. Hopefully, a much narrower bill will be filed next session that carries far less risk to CHL's.

Chas.
Image


JMen7T6
Junior Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Granbury, Texas

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby JMen7T6 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
JMen7T6 wrote:Hello All, new to the Forum, but not new to Forums. I have had my CHL since 2001. I have been following the progress of several bills and mostly interested in this one. Could someone please clarify if this bill will completely eliminate Concealed Carry or is it's intent to supplement CHL holders options so we can either carry concealed or openly? With them eliminating the word "concealed" from the handgun laws, it looked like we would not have an option. It would be ONLY Open carry. But then again, if that were the case, the would have to add verbiage on violations of someone caught carrying concealed.

:confused5 a bit confused....


Welcome to the TexasCHLforum, we're glad you joined us.

The intent of HB2756 is simply to allow CHL's the option to carry openly or concealed. As written, HB2756 opens up massive sections of the Government Code and Penal Code to potential anti-gun amendments, and this issue has been raised. Although there would be ways to make sure the Bill, if it had passed, would not prohibit concealed-carry (i.e. establishing legislative intent), some people in Austin have commented that a fair reading of HB2756 would include a prohibition of concealed carry. While I would disagree with that interpretation, it is not outside the bounds of reason which means it's something that should have been addressed by the promoters of HB2756. Hopefully, a much narrower bill will be filed next session that carries far less risk to CHL's.

Chas.



Thanks Charles for your explanation. I will continue to watch it's progress. I would hope that in the long run it would enhance our rights and not be a door to limiting or eliminating them.
Love the Constitution and the Founding Fathers that wrote it...


hirundo82
Senior Member
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Houston

Re: HB 2756 Open Carry bill reported favorably

Postby hirundo82 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

JMen7T6 wrote:Thanks Charles for your explanation. I will continue to watch it's progress. I would hope that in the long run it would enhance our rights and not be a door to limiting or eliminating them.

It's dead for this session. Hopefully there will be a better thought-out and coordinated effort in the future.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007


Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest