SB 905 passed in Senate

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

baldeagle
Senior Member
Posts: 5240
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby baldeagle » Tue May 10, 2011 8:00 am

packingmusician wrote::mad5 as heck. I don't post here often, but this is an astounding display of hypocrisy! I think some calls to Zaffrinni and Gallegos are in order.

Don't forget Lucio.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member


Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts: 8697
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby RPB » Tue May 10, 2011 8:12 am

Jasonw560 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:There's reason HB750 hasn't come out of Calendars and it's not an anti-gun reason.

Chas.

I can't wait to hear the reason once the session is over. If you're willing (or able) to explain it to us.

John Woods needed a breath mint and the House wanted to keep him over in the Senate. :lol:

Kidding, I'll never get close enough to find out though ... :roll:
:biggrinjester:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"


Topic author
RPB
Banned
Posts: 8697
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby RPB » Tue May 10, 2011 8:16 am

baldeagle wrote:
packingmusician wrote::mad5 as heck. I don't post here often, but this is an astounding display of hypocrisy! I think some calls to Zaffrinni and Gallegos are in order.

Don't forget Lucio.

After it's all over, I may call Zaffrini and thank her for helping us to get a better bill through than SB 354 would have been.

She played her part well so that the Brady/Woods group will give her a sympathetic pat on the back, still vote for her, even though she helped us a lot. :rolll
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

User avatar

Hoi Polloi
Senior Member
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:56 pm
Location: DFW

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby Hoi Polloi » Tue May 10, 2011 9:51 am

All I could think while Zaffirini gave her "I was there" speech to Wentworth was, "Can you imagine that woman as a mother-in-law?" :eek6
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

User avatar

Ameer
Senior Member
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby Ameer » Tue May 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Keith B wrote:You know folks, there is one other alternative to get this to apply to you; run for office in the House or Senate and get elected.

That's a great idea! The icing on the cake is voting one of "us" in means voting one of "them" out.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

User avatar

stevie_d_64
Senior Member
Posts: 7588
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:17 pm
Location: Houston, Texas 77089
Contact:

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby stevie_d_64 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Keith B wrote:
blue wrote:...goose...gander...

---so amend 750 to add the 905 places for us peon's !!!--- AND Amend to EVERY bill here on out!!

gotta be ok if they got it.



(GRRRRRRRRR !!!!!)


Just remember, any pro-gun legislation should not be trounced as long as the final result does not negatively impact one of the rights we have today. If you think about it, if this change gets made, how hard would it be to change the wording to just include all CHL's at a future time?


I say it never will...

BTW, I'm an "elected official" does this mean I am automatically encluded in this perk??? What is the definition of an "elected official"???

I was voted into office on a popular vote by citizens in my district (precinct)...I was not appointed, or given some sort of honorable position by declaration...So, in a sense, I have become an elitists by this soon to be signed bill into law...

You know...I know Dan Patrick personally, sure he is a high profile "elected official" with a radio show to boot...He touts conservative principles and all that and got himself elected on that bandwagon...Personally I could say things abouthim that would violate the rules of this forum, but I don't need to...The most I could say is that I think he is a ninny...

Ask me where I would fall if I was in on that vote??? Most people who know me, would already know the answer to that...

I am not impressed one bit by this move, and to watch Wentworth have to jump thru hoops to get his bill even attached to another bill just reeks of RiNO hypocracy!!! Not against Wentworth for his yoeman attempts and success...His bill I would have supported on its own merits!!! This bill....hehehe, not a chance!!!

Every elected official in this state has the opportunity to get their Texas CHL if they so desire...They are NO better than the constituency in this state, and they deserve no special consideration or exemption(s)...This bill was a bad bill from the get go...And I am appalled at some folks here (who are still my friends) who are supporting this bill (law) in hopes that this can be somehow used by our side to garner some sort of similar considerations...I'm sorry guys and gals, this is not going to happen...Not this easy...

I hope Governor Perry vetos this bill...And lets start over friends...This is NOT the path to take on this journey...

This is my opinion...I cannot compramise my principles on this...It is not how Steve rolls...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

User avatar

2up1down
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby 2up1down » Tue May 10, 2011 7:12 pm

stevie_d_64 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
blue wrote:...goose...gander...

---so amend 750 to add the 905 places for us peon's !!!--- AND Amend to EVERY bill here on out!!

gotta be ok if they got it.



(GRRRRRRRRR !!!!!)


Just remember, any pro-gun legislation should not be trounced as long as the final result does not negatively impact one of the rights we have today. If you think about it, if this change gets made, how hard would it be to change the wording to just include all CHL's at a future time?


I say it never will...

BTW, I'm an "elected official" does this mean I am automatically encluded in this perk??? What is the definition of an "elected official"???

I was voted into office on a popular vote by citizens in my district (precinct)...I was not appointed, or given some sort of honorable position by declaration...So, in a sense, I have become an elitists by this soon to be signed bill into law...

You know...I know Dan Patrick personally, sure he is a high profile "elected official" with a radio show to boot...He touts conservative principles and all that and got himself elected on that bandwagon...Personally I could say things abouthim that would violate the rules of this forum, but I don't need to...The most I could say is that I think he is a ninny...

Ask me where I would fall if I was in on that vote??? Most people who know me, would already know the answer to that...

I am not impressed one bit by this move, and to watch Wentworth have to jump thru hoops to get his bill even attached to another bill just reeks of RiNO hypocracy!!! Not against Wentworth for his yoeman attempts and success...His bill I would have supported on its own merits!!! This bill....hehehe, not a chance!!!

Every elected official in this state has the opportunity to get their Texas CHL if they so desire...They are NO better than the constituency in this state, and they deserve no special consideration or exemption(s)...This bill was a bad bill from the get go...And I am appalled at some folks here (who are still my friends) who are supporting this bill (law) in hopes that this can be somehow used by our side to garner some sort of similar considerations...I'm sorry guys and gals, this is not going to happen...Not this easy...

I hope Governor Perry vetos this bill...And lets start over friends...This is NOT the path to take on this journey...

This is my opinion...I cannot compramise my principles on this...It is not how Steve rolls...


I wish I could have put it better,, but that would be impossible.
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.


blue
Senior Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:37 pm
Location: DFW

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby blue » Tue May 10, 2011 8:12 pm

:iagree:

Steve, Excellent words. Well Said.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The sad part is that they wrote it that way.
JUST CHANGE A FEW WORDS SO ALL CHLERS ARE INCLUDED AND EVERYONE WINS!!!

------NOW, THIS Sept 1, 2011.----

---If they wanted to, it could be changed, most likely, even now! IF they wanted too!---

Don't see any way that this is not a direct slap in the face to the CHLers.

as far as useful later-----LEOSA comes to mind.

I hope and pray GOV Perry flushes it


:txflag:


apostate
Senior Member
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Houston Texas

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby apostate » Tue May 10, 2011 9:15 pm

“This bill is really about logistics,” Patrick said earlier, when the bill was approved by a Senate committee. “We go from one place to another ... and we may be faced with either leaving (guns) in the car or taking them inside and violating the law.

“This bill is just to solve that problem.”

How about solving that problem for the rest of us while you're at it?

:totap:
Mood: :waiting:


rs1382
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby rs1382 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:37 pm

smtimelevi wrote:Updated at 1:55 p.m.: Sen. Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury, just released the following statement on why he voted against allowing lawmakers to carry their concealed weapons in additional places:

“Today, I voted against the Committee Substitute to Senate Bill 905. As a strong proponent of Second Amendment rights, I could not in good conscience grant myself a privilege that I had failed to first grant law-abiding citizens. Concealed handgun license holders are allowed to carry almost everywhere they go. In my judgment, if we are going to expand when and where Texans can legally carry a concealed firearm, we should start with our citizens — not our lawmakers.”

This man is a representative of the people. The others maybe not so much. Any politician who thinks they should be able to carry everywhere because its inconvenient to place their gun in their car shouldnt just change the law for themselves.


I live in Senator Birdwell's district, and he is someone I have really come to respect. He has been an strong proponent of the 2nd Amendment---arguably the strongest in the legislature---and is voting conservatively. Hopefully other legislators will take note.


MeMelYup
Senior Member
Posts: 1867
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby MeMelYup » Mon May 16, 2011 7:48 pm

apostate wrote:
“This bill is really about logistics,” Patrick said earlier, when the bill was approved by a Senate committee. “We go from one place to another ... and we may be faced with either leaving (guns) in the car or taking them inside and violating the law.

“This bill is just to solve that problem.”

How about solving that problem for the rest of us while you're at it?

:totap:

Almost sounds like he is going to college, don't it?

User avatar

Purplehood
Senior Member
Posts: 4638
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby Purplehood » Tue May 17, 2011 6:35 am

I just sent Senator Patrick a semi-nasty gram.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07


RHenriksen
Senior Member
Posts: 1990
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: Houston

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby RHenriksen » Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am

rs1382 wrote:
smtimelevi wrote:Updated at 1:55 p.m.: Sen. Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury, just released the following statement on why he voted against allowing lawmakers to carry their concealed weapons in additional places:

“Today, I voted against the Committee Substitute to Senate Bill 905. As a strong proponent of Second Amendment rights, I could not in good conscience grant myself a privilege that I had failed to first grant law-abiding citizens. Concealed handgun license holders are allowed to carry almost everywhere they go. In my judgment, if we are going to expand when and where Texans can legally carry a concealed firearm, we should start with our citizens — not our lawmakers.”

This man is a representative of the people. The others maybe not so much. Any politician who thinks they should be able to carry everywhere because its inconvenient to place their gun in their car shouldnt just change the law for themselves.


I live in Senator Birdwell's district, and he is someone I have really come to respect. He has been an strong proponent of the 2nd Amendment---arguably the strongest in the legislature---and is voting conservatively. Hopefully other legislators will take note.


Welcome to the forum! :tiphat: I really respect Sen. Birdwell's position.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

User avatar

boba
Senior Member
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby boba » Tue May 17, 2011 5:43 pm

MeMelYup wrote:
apostate wrote:
“This bill is really about logistics,” Patrick said earlier, when the bill was approved by a Senate committee. “We go from one place to another ... and we may be faced with either leaving (guns) in the car or taking them inside and violating the law.

“This bill is just to solve that problem.”

How about solving that problem for the rest of us while you're at it?

:totap:

Almost sounds like he is going to college, don't it?

Your mom goes to college.
IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

User avatar

tacticool
Senior Member
Posts: 1486
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: SB 905 passed in Senate

Postby tacticool » Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Are you seriously calling for defeat of the Senators who passed campus-carry, employer parking lots and range protection!?

Chas.

Did the legislature pass all three? That's great news! Has Perry signed them yet?
When in doubt
Vote them out!


Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest