Win for campus carry!

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Monker10
Posts in topic: 2

Win for campus carry!

Post by Monker10 »

I don't know if anyone one else has posted this yet. If so please link it. This bill may finally pass!
http://www.texastribune.org/texas-dept- ... pus-carry/

Topic author
Monker10

Re: Win for campus carry!

Post by Monker10 »

The way the article reads is hilarious if you have been following this drama! :lol:

Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas Size 11 »

Liking Wentworth more and more... :cheers2:
Never pet a burning dog...

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

Monker10 wrote:The way the article reads is hilarious if you have been following this drama! :lol:
Wish I could have Zaffirinis face!

:eek6
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

warhorse10_9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

You could see Davis in the background, she was :mad5

I was like: :anamatedbanana
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Wentworth's amendment then prevailed with a 21-10 vote

I can't wait to see the voting record. Why didn't #21 show their face when SB 354 was being considered as a stand-alone bill? :mad5

Still, a win is a win. I'll take it.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

I think 354 as a stand alone bill was more restrictive than what we got with full orchestration . Zaffrini and Ogden played their parts so well we have a better sounding bill now. That's my understanding.

"rlol" :woohoo

If Davis hadn't interrupted Lucio, they might have gotten zaffrini's bill off there, leaving Wentworths ... and Zaffrini would have to go through it all again looking for a place to stick it. ... SB 5 I mean.
Last edited by RPB on Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

CJATE

Post by CJATE »

How ever this shakes out, my wife should have card in hand come spring semester. Might have it summer II.

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

RPB wrote:I think 354 as a stand alone bill was more restrictive than what we got with full orchestration . Zaffrini and Ogden played their parts so well we have a better sounding bill now. That's my understanding.

My husband pointed out to me that 354 on its own was likely to die even if it passed the Senate. Once it got to the House, it was likely to die in Calendars where the House version would die with it. By putting it on this bill where the companion is already out of the House's calendars committee, it will actually make it to the House floor now to get a vote.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

Hoi Polloi wrote:
RPB wrote:I think 354 as a stand alone bill was more restrictive than what we got with full orchestration . Zaffrini and Ogden played their parts so well we have a better sounding bill now. That's my understanding.

My husband pointed out to me that 354 on its own was likely to die even if it passed the Senate. Once it got to the House, it was likely to die in Calendars where the House version would die with it. By putting it on this bill where the companion is already out of the House's calendars committee, it will actually make it to the House floor now to get a vote.
Yup, despite all the crazy drama, we're actually in a better position now than we were last session when the Senate passed it through "normal means". This is a classic case of things having to get worse before they get better, darkest before the dawn, and all that rot.

Coogan

Post by Coogan »

Hoi Polloi wrote:

I'm not convinced the Calendars Committee would have killed SB 354. I think they were holding back on HB 750 because they knew, even if passed, it would die in the Senate. Hopefully we will find out the real story after the legislative session is over.

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

So now it just has to pass a vote on the floor of the House?

I wonder hy it was amended to exempt private universities? Wouldn't have made more sense to cover all universities and then let 30.06 take over for the Universities that didn't want it?
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Jasonw560 wrote:
Wentworth's amendment then prevailed with a 21-10 vote

I can't wait to see the voting record. Why didn't #21 show their face when SB 354 was being considered as a stand-alone bill? :mad5

Still, a win is a win. I'll take it.
Hinojosa and Ogden voted for it in the end, even though they opposed SB354 and Wentworth's amendment to SB1581.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”