CALL TO ACTION: SB905

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

CALL TO ACTION: SB905

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

When SB905 comes to the House Floor, Rep. Kleinschmidt plans to offer an amendment that extends it provisions from just elected officials to all CHL's who are on their 3rd or later renewals. Some will ask why the amendment will not cover all CHLs, but I can't go into that now. It's going to be hard enough to fight off a point-of-order.

Please call your Representative and ask him/her to support any amendment to SB905 that is offered by Rep. Kleinschmidt and to oppose any amendments to the Kleinschmidt amendment that are not acceptable to the author (Kleinschmidt).

Thanks,
Chas.

House Members

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CALL TO ACTION: SB905

Post by RPB »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jasonw560 »

I tweeted mine, but without begging. And the same with Rep. Aaron Pena. Pena reads his tweets during session.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

terryg

Post by terryg »

Wow, third renewals. How many years would that be?
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

terryg wrote:Wow, third renewals. How many years would that be?
That depends. Those of us in from the beginning renewed at two years, six years, and then ten years.

But the four year term was extended to five years, so the answer could be anywhere between ten and fifteen years.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

mgood

Post by mgood »

I felt something like this coming when so many were bashing 905. :cool:

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 13

Post by hirundo82 »

14 years and change, since the initial license is until the birthday 4 years after the date of issuance and each renewal is good for 5 years. I think the only people who currently would be on their third renewal or later would be those who have held a CHL since the first year it was issued or shortly thereafter (1996==>1st renewal in 2000==>2nd renewal in 2005==>3rd renewal in 2010).
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:When SB905 comes to the House Floor, Rep. Kleinschmidt plans to offer an amendment that extends it provisions from just elected officials to all CHL's who are on their 3rd or later renewals. Some will ask why the amendment will not cover all CHLs, but I can't go into that now. It's going to be hard enough to fight off a point-of-order.

Please call your Representative and ask him/her to support any amendment to SB905 that is offered by Rep. Kleinschmidt and to oppose any amendments to the Kleinschmidt amendment that are not acceptable to the author (Kleinschmidt).

Thanks,
Chas.

House Members

That would include me, BUT....how would you go about identifying a CHL who was (or wasn't) eligible? There is currently nothing on my license (that I know of) that distinguishes my third renewal status from that of others.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

mgood

Post by mgood »

Mike1951 wrote:
That depends. Those of us in from the beginning renewed at two years, six years, and then ten years.

But the four year term was extended to five years, so the answer could be anywhere between ten and fifteen years.
But if we get this passed, in a lot less than fifteen years from now, it'll be for every CHL and not just third renewals. ;-)

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:When SB905 comes to the House Floor, Rep. Kleinschmidt plans to offer an amendment that extends it provisions from just elected officials to all CHL's who are on their 3rd or later renewals. Some will ask why the amendment will not cover all CHLs, but I can't go into that now. It's going to be hard enough to fight off a point-of-order.

Thanks,
Chas.

House Members
Phew! I'm so glad there is some bending going on on this issue. Charles, would the wording include any love (address...) for those who *had* a CHL, didn't renew, and then signed up for another one? In other words, I got my CHL right when they became available in 1995. Drew the short straw, and got a two-year application. I worked full time @ Univ of Houston, and could never freakin' carry; so let my CHL lapse. Clean record - no suspensions, etc. Got a new CHL in 2009. So how would this be addressed by the prospective wording in the bill?

I will send a thank you to Rep Kleinschmidt, and contact my own Rep.

Edit: The staffer in Rep Kleinschmidt's office hasn't even heard about this planned amendment yet! I asked her to pass along a thank-you, and the same question about non-contiguous blocks of CHL possession.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BrianSW99 »

flintknapper wrote:

Thanks,
Chas.

House Members

That would include me, BUT....how would you go about identifying a CHL who was (or wasn't) eligible? There is currently nothing on my license (that I know of) that distinguishes my third renewal status from that of others.
Since this bill only makes it a "defense to prosecution", I expect you'd have to prove it in court.

blue

Post by blue »

goose.. gander..

Do we disregard if we are NOT on 3rd renewal yet? (Semi serious)

--FLUSH the abomination. PERIOD!

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 13

Post by hirundo82 »

blue wrote:goose.. gander..

We get this through for anyone on their third renewal or later this time, and I bet next time we can get it down to anyone on their first renewal. It's like the current campus carry bill not covering private schools or teaching hospitals--it's not perfect, but it's a good starting point for future sessions.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

terryg

Post by terryg »

hirundo82 wrote:
blue wrote:goose.. gander..

We get this through for anyone on their third renewal or later this time, and I bet next time we can get it down to anyone on their first renewal. It's like the current campus carry bill not covering private schools or teaching hospitals--it's not perfect, but it's a good starting point for future sessions.
I agree. I didn't mean to sound so negative - I was just wondering why they picked 3 - thats a lot of years.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

blue

Post by blue »

O.K. Then 3rd renewal for ALL, elected and peons.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”