URGENT CALL-TO-ACTION: SB766 - Range Protection Bill

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

artx
Posts in topic: 4

Re: URGENT CALL-TO-ACTION: SB766 - Range Protection Bill

Post by artx »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Everyone needs to call Calendars Chairman Todd Hunter every day between now and Tuesday and respectfully but strongly state that SB766 is needed to protect ranges in Texas from frivolous lawsuits. Tell him also that it needs to be put on the State Major Calendar because you are aware that, if he puts it on the General Calendar, it's dead.

Tell him SB766 has been in Calendars since April 21st and it has no opposition.

Keep the calls coming folks; I can't say more at this time.
Chas.

Todd Hunter, Chairman
512-463-0672
todd.hunter@house.state.tx.us
cross posted at ar15.com

artx
Posts in topic: 4

Post by artx »

Well, it was placed on the general state calendar :S

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=sB766

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

Maybe they think we don't know the difference? We need to prove them wrong on election day.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is the last day to pass Senate Bills on second reading. SB766 (range protection) is 22nd on the House General Calendar, behind 23 other items, excluding 3 items on Local & Consent. We have been informed "everything is okay." We'll see; I hope my skepticism is misplaced.

I have no idea how late the House will stay in session. Chairman Todd Hunter stated on the House floor late last week that the rumors that they would take a day off were false, because time was running out. He stated they (the entire House) would work every day until the session was over. On Saturday, the House adjourned at approximately 3:30pm and took off Sunday. SB766, a critically important bill with absolutely no opposition, sat in the Calendars Committee from April 21st until it was put on the General Calendar on the very last day Senate Bills can pass on second reading. My back is wet, there are no clouds in the sky, and someone is telling me it's raining. :totap:

Chas.

EDITED: I was wrong!!!! :party: SB766 passed to third reading with just under two hours to spare.

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 11

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is the last day to pass Senate Bills on second reading. SB766 (range protection) is 22nd on the House General Calendar, behind 23 other items, excluding 3 items on Local & Consent. We have been informed "everything is okay." We'll see; I hope my skepticism is misplaced.

I have no idea how late the House will stay in session. Chairman Todd Hunter stated on the House floor late last week that the rumors that they would take a day off were false, because time was running out. He stated they (the entire House) would work every day until the session was over. On Saturday, the House adjourned at approximately 3:30pm and took off Sunday. SB766, a critically important bill with absolutely no opposition, sat in the Calendars Committee from April 21st until it was put on the General Calendar on the very last day Senate Bills can pass on second reading. My back is wet, there are no clouds in the sky, and someone is telling me it's raining. :totap:

Chas.
This is exactly why I find it so frustrating that the first (half? two thirds?) of the legislative session seems to be dominated with 'Happy Purple Dinosaur Day' declarations and other nonsense. My 16 year old niece has figured out the virtue of not procrastinating... why can't our legislators?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jasonw560 »

:iagree: I've always thought business first, then get to the "cute and fuzzy bunny" stuff after. Or just pass around proclamations and resolutions to all the offices and have them sign it behind closed doors. Then just post it on the web site.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Jasonw560 wrote::iagree: I've always thought business first, then get to the "cute and fuzzy bunny" stuff after. Or just pass around proclamations and resolutions to all the offices and have them sign it behind closed doors. Then just post it on the web site.
What, ask a politician to give up a photo op? :nono:

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is the last day to pass Senate Bills on second reading. SB766 (range protection) is 22nd on the House General Calendar, behind 23 other items, excluding 3 items on Local & Consent. We have been informed "everything is okay." We'll see; I hope my skepticism is misplaced.
Am I looking in the wrong place? According to the Daily House Calendar for today SB766 is #7 on the General State Calendar.

Is the Supplementary House Calendar the real order of business for today?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TrueFlog »

Chas.
This kind of stuff infuriates me. McCall did the same thing to us last year, and it really upset me. Especially since I spoke with him on the phone and he assured me of his support for the Parking Lot bill. I'm in his district, so I couldn't wait to vote him out. I was so glad to see that he didn't run in 2010 and that we were able to defeat his protege and elect Taylor instead. But even with that victory, we've got another RINO running the Calendars and killing our bills just like McCall did. We've gotta get rid of Strauss so he'll stop stacking the committees against us.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

hirundo82 wrote:Is the Supplementary House Calendar the real order of business for today?
Yes. It includes things not finished during the last session.

Chas.

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jasonw560 »

20 more bills until 766.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:Is the Supplementary House Calendar the real order of business for today?
Yes. It includes things not finished during the last session.

Chas.
What good is a Calendars Committee making a calendar if they repeatedly schedule more than the House can do in a day?
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Jasonw560 wrote:20 more bills until 766.
Now it's 13 more bills before SB766.

Chas.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
This close to the end of the session, is there a cap on how much time is devoted to each bill on the floor?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RHenriksen wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
This close to the end of the session, is there a cap on how much time is devoted to each bill on the floor?
No. About 1 1/2 hrs. was wasted on a homeowners association bill that the author had to pull down when a gutting amendment was adopted. A good bit of time was spent on SB8 also, as well as a few others.

Chas.

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”