URGENT CALL-TO-ACTION: SB766 - Range Protection Bill

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 11

Re: URGENT CALL-TO-ACTION: SB766 - Range Protection Bill

Post by RHenriksen »

Is this playing out on the floor of the House? On video?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jasonw560 »

Yes.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I don't want to jinx Charles, but... I was listening to the House floor, and I could have sworn I just heard SB 766 PASS its third reading!

:hurry:

warhorse10_9
Posts in topic: 1

Post by warhorse10_9 »

RHenriksen wrote:I don't want to jinx Charles, but... I was listening to the House floor, and I could have sworn I just heard SB 766 PASS its third reading!

:hurry:
You heard it right, it passed to third reading.
:thewave
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

So... what's the NEXT hurdle for SB 766? Run a 100 yard dash in > 10 seconds? Hit a pinada blindfolded with one arm tied behind its back? Walk on hot coals?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Rhinrickson is right; SB766 passed to third reading on a voice vote without a single question. I can't recall when I've been so pleased to be wrong!

I have to disclose something now that I couldn't mention earlier. SB766 got out of the Calendars Committee because of the efforts of Speaker Straus. Had he not stepped in, it would have died there because it was not believed to be of significant importance to be placed high enough to make it to the floor before time ran out. I will also note that Speaker Straus controlled the order in which items were taken on the calendar for "eligible items" as well as the "Second Calendar" and the General Calendar. Had they gone straight through, SB766 would not have been reached.

We still have to get it passed to engrossment, so we'll keep on top if it.

Make no mistake, your calls and faxes are the reason the Speaker stepped in. I cannot thank you enough!

Chas.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Rhinrickson is right; SB766 passed to third reading on a voice vote without a single question. I can't recall when I've been so pleased to be wrong!

I have to disclose something now that I couldn't mention earlier. SB766 got out of the Calendars Committee because of the efforts of Speaker Straus. Had he not stepped in, it would have died there because it was not believed to be of significant importance to be placed high enough to make it to the floor before time ran out. I will also note that Speaker Straus controlled the order in which items were taken on the calendar for "eligible items" as well as the "Second Calendar" and the General Calendar. Had they gone straight through, SB766 would not have been reached.

We still have to get it passed to engrossment, so we'll keep on top if it.

Chas.
It's okay, it's a 'magic' name... nobody can spell it ;-)

I'm having a hard time reconciling the performance of Speaker Straus on SB 766 versus SB 354... :confused5

terryg

Post by terryg »

RHenriksen wrote:I'm having a hard time reconciling the performance of Speaker Straus on SB 766 versus SB 354... :confused5
No kidding ...
... this space intentionally left blank ...

A-R

Post by A-R »

terryg wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:I'm having a hard time reconciling the performance of Speaker Straus on SB 766 versus SB 354... :confused5
No kidding ...
Seems clear to me. One was pro business AND pro RKBA. One was merely pro RKBA - and possibly anti-"business" depending whether you define that term loosely enough to include universities. I think the Speaker's motivations are clear. Still not sure how parking lot bill got by him. :headscratch

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Unless the backroom deal was that everyone could sign on knowing it wasn't going anywhere and Straus wasn't the one holding up Campus Carry, but a significant group of Republicans who didn't want to lose big $ sponsors were. Just a random thought that occurred to me which would explain everything.

1. Isn't campus carry/RKBA a platform issue for Republicans? A non-negotiable for toeing the party line? If so, isn't it Straus' job to put the pressure on to expect that? Why wouldn't he do that unless there was a large contingent of Republicans who didn't support it? And if you have a large block of politicians who don't support it, but a large voting base who does, then what does it turn out looking like? This session seems like a good example of what I would expect.

2. Kinda convenient that now that they are hearing significant backlash over their decision, they dropped themselves from the cop-carry type provisions (wasn't that bill specifically intended for legislators?), had the Speaker dredge up what he considered a bill too unimportant to get to the floor, and are supporting each other and patting each other on the back for their great efforts.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Hoi Polloi wrote:2. Kinda convenient that now that they are hearing significant backlash over their decision, they dropped themselves from the cop-carry type provisions (wasn't that bill specifically intended for legislators?), had the Speaker dredge up what he considered a bill too unimportant to get to the floor, and are supporting each other and patting each other on the back for their great efforts.
"They" (other Republicans) didn't get the Speaker to dredge up anything. "They" didn't pass SB766 as cover for SB905. The response to calls to action on SB766 is precisely why the Speaker got involved. We were told the phones were ringing all the time and emails were pouring in. That's why SB766 came to be recognized as a bill that is important to a lot of people. Plus, Alice Tripp delivering information packets on SB766 to 120 House Members and the Speaker's office also helped.

SB766 made it to the House floor because of a lot of hard work behind the scenes and because of an overwhelming response to our calls-to-action, not because of a PR plot by Republicans.

Chas.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

sb 766 on House floor now
Passed to third reading
record vote
Finally passed
145 ayes 1 nay
That was quick ...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

SB766 has finally passed and it's on to the Governor for signature.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Your contacts made the difference.

Chas.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Charles, that's the best news I've heard all week!! Thanks so much for all your hard work. And please tell Alice we all say thank you to her. Thanks to leaders like y'all and followers like us, we are making a difference.

I'm pretty happy this evening!!

:thewave
TSRA Life Memeber

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:... Plus, Alice Tripp delivering information packets on SB766 to 120 House Members and the Speaker's office also helped...
Chas.
Thank Alice for us! It's nice to win a few! :txflag:
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”