SB321: Employer parking lots

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SB321: Employer parking lots

Post by Iunnrais »

well, just looked up the bill online and it's showing that the Senate has adopted the conference committee version as well :txflag:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*edit: opps, hirundo82 types faster than I do :)

Paragrouper
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paragrouper »

Iunnrais wrote:well, just looked up the bill online and it's showing that the Senate has adopted the conference committee version as well :txflag:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*edit: opps, hirundo82 types faster than I do :)

Well now...that is mighty good news.
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RHenriksen »

:thewave

:anamatedbanana :woohoo :thumbs2: :hurry: :cheers2:

:party:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

boomstick

Post by boomstick »

Anyone happen to know what the final vote was?
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The addition of Shotguns and Rifles (CHL's/Petro-Chemical) was good! :tiphat:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RHenriksen »

flintknapper wrote:The addition of Shotguns and Rifles (CHL's/Petro-Chemical) was good! :tiphat:
Yes, a pleasant surprise to get a bonus like that at the end.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

terryg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by terryg »

Very very nice indeed! :thewave :thewave :thewave

Time to by a safe for the car ...
... this space intentionally left blank ...

oilheadboxer

Post by oilheadboxer »

I work for a large chemical company. Our parking area is outside the processing areas, which are protected by fencing and badged entry.

The lot does have a guard house at the entry, however anyone can drive into our parking lot. The guard house is really just there to check vehicles driving into the secured area, which the guard house opens. Our parking lot does have cameras that scan around and the cameras are monitored by the chemical company

Reading the bill, it isn't clear to me if I will be able to legally carry to work. I am a licensed CHL holder.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

oilheadboxer wrote:I work for a large chemical company. Our parking area is outside the processing areas, which are protected by fencing and badged entry.

The lot does have a guard house at the entry, however anyone can drive into our parking lot. The guard house is really just there to check vehicles driving into the secured area, which the guard house opens. Our parking lot does have cameras that scan around and the cameras are monitored by the chemical company

Reading the bill, it isn't clear to me if I will be able to legally carry to work. I am a licensed CHL holder.
As a CHL holder, if the Governor signs the bill, then as of September 1, 2011 you will be able to park in the uncontrolled section of the parking lot (outside of the secure area.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ac-mech

Post by ac-mech »

I don't understand the section about secure parking that is monitored by security perssonel? anybody can explain?
Is that provision only for the oil lease or petrochemical plants only?......
:tiphat:

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Right2Carry »

How does this bill affect those who work for DOD contractors such as lockheed , Bell, and others?

The reason I am asking is a buddy of mine stated he got a message from TSRA stating DOD contractors would be off limits.
Last edited by Right2Carry on Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

ac-mech wrote:I don't understand the section about secure parking that is monitored by security perssonel? anybody can explain?
1. That exception covers:
Property owned or leased by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refinery with an air authorization under Chapter 382, Health and Safety Code, and on which the primary business conducted is the manufacture, use, storage, or transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials.

2. Employers must provide a parking area outside the restricted area for CHL's.

What I think this means is that if you are a CHL that works at a business covered by this exception, you're going to have a longer walk to your car and if you don't have a CHL--the employer can prohibit you from having a firearm in your car.

Mind you there are other exceptions: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

ac-mech

Post by ac-mech »

Paragrouper wrote:
ac-mech wrote:I don't understand the section about secure parking that is monitored by security perssonel? anybody can explain?
1. That exception covers:
Property owned or leased by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refinery with an air authorization under Chapter 382, Health and Safety Code, and on which the primary business conducted is the manufacture, use, storage, or transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials.

2. Employers must provide a parking area outside the restricted area for CHL's.

What I think this means is that if you are a CHL that works at a business covered by this exception, you're going to have a longer walk to your car and if you don't have a CHL--the employer can prohibit you from having a firearm in your car.

Mind you there are other exceptions: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0
Thank....

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Right2Carry wrote:How does this bill affect those who work for DOD contractors such as lockheed , Bell, and others?

The reason I am asking is a buddy of mine stated he got a message from TSRA stating DOD contractors would be off limits.
If it is Federal property, then it is still off-limits.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

Keith B wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:How does this bill affect those who work for DOD contractors such as lockheed , Bell, and others?

If it is Federal property, then it is still off-limits.
I know Triumph/Vought on Jefferson is federal because they can't get anyone to buy property. :cryin
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”