Parking lots and employee handbooks?

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Dave2
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Parking lots and employee handbooks?

Post by Dave2 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote:Unless, there is technical reason to ban carry - ex. - no guns by the MRI as they can drag you in or discharge by the magnetic field - the JOB KING-EMPEROR is an inappropriate model.

Really? I understand the magnetic field attracting the gun, but is there any evidence anywhere that they can cause a discharge? If so, what's the mechanism? Is the cartridge fired by the gun? Or is the primer somehow directly detonated by the field?
If the magnetism is as strong as what's portrayed on TV, maybe it could suck the gun out of its holster, straight to the side of the MRI machine, where it lands on its hammer with such force that the firing pin safety breaks and the gun goes off?

I guess you should only carry Glocks around MRI machines :biggrinjester:
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 13

Post by seamusTX »

There is exactly one case of a pistol discharging because of the magnetic field of an MRI machine. It happened New York in the 1990s and has been discussed on "gun boards" for a decade.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

seamusTX wrote:There is exactly one case of a pistol discharging because of the magnetic field of an MRI machine. It happened New York in the 1990s and has been discussed on "gun boards" for a decade.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
I thought I was just applying borderline-hollywood physics to the situation, but I guess not.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

Dave2 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
GEM-Texas wrote:Unless, there is technical reason to ban carry - ex. - no guns by the MRI as they can drag you in or discharge by the magnetic field - the JOB KING-EMPEROR is an inappropriate model.

Really? I understand the magnetic field attracting the gun, but is there any evidence anywhere that they can cause a discharge? If so, what's the mechanism? Is the cartridge fired by the gun? Or is the primer somehow directly detonated by the field?
If the magnetism is as strong as what's portrayed on TV, maybe it could suck the gun out of its holster, straight to the side of the MRI machine, where it lands on its hammer with such force that the firing pin safety breaks and the gun goes off?

I'd have to be one of those porcelain Glock-7's made in Germany, and that cost more than you make in a month! "rlol"
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

I'd have to be one of those porcelain Glock-7's made in Germany, and that cost more than you make in a month! "rlol"
The firing pin might be titanium, but given how that 1911 managed to go off, I wonder what the striker is made out of? (I guess in yours, it's porcelain :mrgreen: )

Oooh, and I wonder if anyone has made a gun that's designed to not allow magnetic fields to disable its safeties?

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

Dave2 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

The firing pin might be titanium, but given how that 1911 managed to go off, I wonder what the striker is made out of? (I guess in yours, it's porcelain :mrgreen: )

Oooh, and I wonder if anyone has made a gun that's designed to not allow magnetic fields to disable its safeties?
Well, since Glock-7's don't show up on airport x-ray machines, there must not be any ferrous metal in it anywhere. It's all porcelain.

Nor can they be detected in parking lot sweeps (to get back on subject :lol: )
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”