Parking Lot Bill - Considerations for University Employees

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 3

Parking Lot Bill - Considerations for University Employees

Post by terryg »

I am thrilled about the parking lot bill and do plan to begin carrying to and from work in September (assuming Gov Purdy Hair does indeed sign into law).

However, there are a few potential trouble spots unique to university employee's that could become an issue with this bill.

A few points that add up to create the potential for adversity:

First and foremost, I think we all know that the vast majority of college administrations are VERY much anti-gun in just about every form. They are also very vocal. This was clearly demonstrated during the campus-carry debates.

Second, many if not most universities have their own policy force. These are duly commissioned officers within the State of Texas. But, they are also employees of the university.

Third, many if not most of these campuses have some type of public roadway system within the campus property.

-----

Because of these factors, I can see at least two scenarios where the administration could learn that an employee carries/stores a weapon in their vechile while at work. Now, legally they won't be able to take an negative action. But we all know that Texas is a right to work state - so you can read between the lines.

1. A routine traffic stop while on a campus roadway will require a CHL holder with a gun in the car to present TDL and CHL and disclose the location of the gun.
2. If an employee vehicle was burglarized and the lawfully stored gun is stolen while parked on campus, the police report would be taken by the campus police report.

Both of these two situations will eventually occur - there is no question about that. But how likely is it that this information would make it back to the administration and cause illegal but cloaked action for the employee? I leave that open for debate.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Parking Lot Bill - Considerations for University Employe

Post by WildBill »

I can understand your concerns.
NRA Endowment Member

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

You mean "Police releasing confidential information to another government entity" (the school/employer)?

Just trying to clarify the issue.

I'd hope there's a cause of action if they did.
http://www.hcso.hctx.net/FieldOps/apr/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OTHER POLICE RECORD CHECKS

This service is provided to other governmental agencies. A research is performed by utilizing the Justice Information Management System (JIMS).

Agencies may submit the appropriate forms in person or by facsimile to 713. 921.8760.
Researched information will be mailed or faxed back to the requesting agency.
No cost for this service.

Please be advised that the Harris County Sheriff's Office is prohibited by law from releasing certain reports and/or information that is confidential.
Last edited by RPB on Mon May 30, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
terryg

Post by terryg »

RPB wrote:You mean "Police releasing confidential information to another government entity" (the school/employer)?

Just trying to clarify the issue.
http://www.hcso.hctx.net/FieldOps/apr/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OTHER POLICE RECORD CHECKS

This service is provided to other governmental agencies. A research is performed by utilizing the Justice Information Management System (JIMS).

Agencies may submit the appropriate forms in person or by facsimile to 713. 921.8760.
Researched information will be mailed or faxed back to the requesting agency.
No cost for this service.

Please be advised that the Harris County Sheriff's Office is prohibited by law from releasing certain reports and/or information that is confidential.
Would this would apply in to the campus police - campus administration relationship?
Would it apply in these cases? We are not talking about releasing CHL licence status information. We are talking about the knowledge that a weapon is/was stored in a vehicle by an employee - knowledge learned during a traffic stop or the filing of a police report.

Police reports reside in the public domain - correct?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

"Public Domain" "Police reports"
Same link ...
I can see an issue if your car is burglarized and you report a stolen gun etc though
PUBLIC RELEASE OF AN INCIDENT/OFFENSE REPORT

This is the investigative report prepared by the deputy concerning the incident/criminal offense. Public release offense reports contain a brief summary of the crime, the complainant's name and address, and the names of the responding/investigating deputies. Suspect information is not listed.
Protection for the burglar is greater than for the victim
Looks like the world would know you had a gun stolen from your car. The (confidential) fact if you had/didn't have a CHL might not even come up......... Looks like the world would know you had a gun stolen from your car.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I don't think that the public records are the issue. A university campus is like a small town where information and rumors can travel like wild fire.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
terryg

Post by terryg »

WildBill wrote:I don't think that the public records are the issue. A university campus is like a small town where information and rumors can travel like wild fire.
Agreed. In spite of any regulations (which I am not sure apply in this case); campus police chief talks to university president and others daily.

NEB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NEB »

I work full time at a university, and I have thought about this scenario, especially because the police force on my campus tends be be very aggressive in traffic enforcement. Mostly I just don't carry to work because of the hassle of disarming/storing/re-arming, all within my vehicle. But on the occasions I have carried, I've often wondered what would happen if stopped. I'm not so much concerned about administration taking action against me for legally carrying a firearm in my vehicle, but I am more concerned about an uninformed officer blowing the situation out of proportion.

I know of campus officers who are especially touchy about "guns on campus" due to recent histories. My concern is that an over-zealous officer, after finding I am armed (legally, within my own vehicle), assumes that I must be breaking the law because (sarc) everybody knows you can't carry a gun onto a university campus (/sarc). I can see myself being held at gunpoint, arrested, etc, because of ignorance.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tbrown »

That sounds like one of those situations where a nonresident license might be better than a Texas CHL. If you're not carrying on or about your person, you don't have to display the nonres license, and there's no way for a campus cop in Texas to query the Utah database.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”