My letter to USAA with the passage of SB321

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

USMC-COL
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My letter to USAA with the passage of SB321

Post by USMC-COL »

I have been a USAA member for almost 40 years. I like their products. I use all of their services. I have been very satisfied, but I'm now going through the same decision matrix as others concerning their stance on firearms. I do most of my banking from my desktop, my IPAD or my phone, but when I recently visited in person to get a certain amount of cash, their new 30.06 signs really bothered me. They always had signs, but now they have "proper" signs. I too will communicate my thoughts to their leadership. I too will decide if I can live with their intolerance to firearms. I too will communicate to others how I feel about USAA's stance on firearms.

USAA probably has the most vetted, the most patriotic, the most reliable customer base in the world. Certainly more so than any other bank per capita. A customer base made up of those who are serving the nation, those who have served the nation, and those who support them. That is why they can afford to do what they do. Their policy on weapons is inconsistent with their customer base. I hope they reconsider, considering much of their leadership comes from the senior ranks of the same customer base.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

USMC-COL wrote:I have been a USAA member for almost 40 years. I like their products. I use all of their services. I have been very satisfied, but I'm now going through the same decision matrix as others concerning their stance on firearms. I do most of my banking from my desktop, my IPAD or my phone, but when I recently visited in person to get a certain amount of cash, their new 30.06 signs really bothered me. They always had signs, but now they have "proper" signs. I too will communicate my thoughts to their leadership. I too will decide if I can live with their intolerance to firearms. I too will communicate to others how I feel about USAA's stance on firearms.

USAA probably has the most vetted, the most patriotic, the most reliable customer base in the world. Certainly more so than any other bank per capita. A customer base made up of those who are serving the nation, those who have served the nation, and those who support them. That is why they can afford to do what they do. Their policy on weapons is inconsistent with their customer base. I hope they reconsider, considering much of their leadership comes from the senior ranks of the same customer base.
I see the problem as there are simply too few USAA members/potential members that are aware of USAA's policy concerning CHLs. Would something along the lines of a NRA alert serve the purpose to let more folks know, or is this not something the NRA and/or TSRA would be willing to do? I too have been a member for over 45 years, and I would much rather see USAA change their policy, than to have to find new insurance, especially at my age. A 45 year very low claim history, with the same company, is not something to throw away, without much decision making.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

Steve M wrote:USAA is a great financial company, BUT, it's run by the same former Generals who don't trust soldiers with CHLs to carry on post, even in the face of the "Traitor Hasan" Fort Hood Massacre and other "mad shooter" tragedies.

I want my bank to be "risk adverse" when it comes to my money, but when it comes to my safety in their facility their "we don't trust you with guns" mindset is unforgivable.
Yup, and their customers tend to be the same current or former soldiers who are told they can't be "political" (back in my day anyway), so they don't get involved in these issues.

Lots of us former soldiers are getting more involved, though. I remember the proud day when I was promoted to the kind of "PFC" that outranks any general.

I had USAA when I was active duty 25 years ago. I switched back not long ago, much cheaper than GEICO. I just added an old truck I worked on and got running, $97 for six months for liabilty only.

I only deal with them online so I don't see their 30.06 signs. I don't like them an dI'll be sure to tell them so. Lots of active and veterans in my family and friends. I almost told a bunch of people how much money I saved, I decided not to because of their policies. I'll tell them that too.

Paragrouper

Post by Paragrouper »

Bullwhip wrote:Lots of us former soldiers are getting more involved, though. I remember the proud day when I was promoted to the kind of "PFC" that outranks any general.
PFC--Haven't heard that in a while ;-)

I've been with USAA a long time as well (never seen an office, let alone visit one though). I'll be happy to send them some correspondence on this--and pass it on to my buds as well.
DCC
"Beware the fury of of the patient man." ~John Dryden

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

I run a very concealed carry and gun friendly full service insurance agency. Doesn't matter to me if you are a client or employee. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...does it raise our rates if we only carry a mousegun?

...I send back their offers...about three a month...with a short, crisp note on them...

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

speedsix wrote:...does it raise our rates if we only carry a mousegun?

No, but it does if you don't carry one in the chamber. :cool:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WMB

Post by WMB »

I recommend everyone compare their policy with the competition. I left USAA after 33 years when they lost the competitive edge. I switched to Statefarm and save about $120 a month total for my 3 vehicles and home. Not to mention after 9 mos of cancelation I was refunded my SSA to the amount of 5K.
I check back every 2 yrs or so but USAA can't compete; in the DFW area market anyway. (in my case)
Once they opened policies to everyone, their families and what seems like friends, they lost focus on their core officer group and rates went up along with their liabilities. ( why they do not insure motorcycles ) the majority of my pilot buddies have since left them.

Walt

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”