UPDATE: Video Conference:

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 14

UPDATE: Video Conference:

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The first Texas Firearms Coalition/TexasCHLforum video conference will be held on Thursday, Dec. 5th beginning at 7:30pm. I have plans for regular video conferences and this first one will be a test of the service I'm using called Zoom.us.

I can have 25 locations connected at one time, so we can have 24 besides my location. (That may or may not be at PSC Shooting Club. I have to test our download/upload speed.) There will be no charge for this video conference, but I do want people to register only if they can have several people attend at their location. It doesn't have to be a formal conference room; it could be your office, living room, or back patio if you like. If we have any slots open the day before the conference, then those can be taken by individuals who will not be able to host a group.

Here is a link to the system requirements: https://support.zoom.us/entries/2144044 ... quirements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You will have to download the Zoom software, but it's free and I have it on 3 machines without any problems.

You must have a webcam to participate as we want to be able to see one another when they are speaking. I use a Logictech C920 webcam and it's great! I've never seen video quality equal to that camera. This camera is especially good for folks who don't have computers with fast processors and/or a lot of memory, because it does the video processing internally. I paid $75 on Amazon. I strongly suggest that you do not rely upon the built-in microphone and do something else. I use a Plantronics Audio 655 DSP headset, but you can use any mic. If you have a group, consider a wired USB mike you can pass around.

The topic for this conference will be open-carry. (Yeah I know, I'm crazy.) I'll decide the format as we get closer to the conference date and it will be emailed to everyone who registers for a location. Registration will be at http://www.TexasShooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and I'll open it later this week when I get caught up at the office.

Let's face it, this topic will be high on emotion with some folks and that's fine. Just remember that Forum rules apply. I don't want anyone having to exit the conference because their kids or wife hear something offensive.

This should be fun folks.
Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Video Conference: Open-Carry Discussion

Okay, I'm a little faster than I thought. Registration is open at TFCregister. You will have to log in with Username: TFCregister and Password: 2013register.

You must use your real name, not a screen name, but that information will not be published. We are limited to 24 locations.

Thanks,
Chas.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Beiruty »

I am down. I can provide an an 18" quad core laptop with C920 web cam.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Beiruty wrote:I am down. I can provide an an 18" quad core laptop with C920 web cam.
Great. I hope we can get folks from all over the State.

Chas.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Registered.
Beiruty,

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

I don't have a group so I don't want to take a spot but I am interested in hearing the discussion. Any chance the session will be recorded and made available for replay to forum members?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

jmra wrote:I don't have a group so I don't want to take a spot but I am interested in hearing the discussion. Any chance the session will be recorded and made available for replay to forum members?
I can and will record it, but I've done that once before and the format is something I don't recognize. I'm going to record it with Camptasia this time and it should work.

The group idea may not work out and if not, people are going to be able to register individually. Large groups would be great, but 4 or 5 people will mean a lot more than 25 people can participate.

Chas.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

If in each big city we can organize a group meet, we can book for free a conference room in a the city Library. We may need only an Fast speed internet connection. I am not sure if our city library has free Wifi service, but I can check.

Then we need to list the cities where the meets will happen and who is the host responsible to lead the meet.
As I said, I am in.

If each meet has 5-10 members, then, we may have up to 250 attending.
Beiruty,

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

We need to decide on a format for the conference and the fact that it will be on video will influence that decision. I'd like to get input from folks now so we can put something together by Dec. 5th.

This is not something that is a lecture with questions from the floor. It needs to be more of a roundtable, but we need to decide on how to put questions and speakers in que. The system allows all participants to send text messages to specific participants or to everyone and that can be used to take questions during the conference. I also think we should take questions in advance so we can have those lined up to begin the conference and not have to wait for questions to come in by text. We can publish those questions/topics so people can prepare and to prevent several people from texting the same questions.

There are also settings that will allow the system to automatically "feature" the site speaking, but depending upon the size of the group at various locations, this could be problematic. Ambient noise in a room may cause problems trying to use the automatic feature mode. We won't know until the conference. The alternative method is to "manually" select the speaker from the administrator console.

I'm going to open a thread in the TFC sub-forum to be used for submitting questions and topics for discussion. Anyone can submit a question or topic even if you will not be participating in the conference.

Chas.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:We need to decide on a format for the conference and the fact that it will be on video will influence that decision. I'd like to get input from folks now so we can put something together by Dec. 5th.

This is not something that is a lecture with questions from the floor. It needs to be more of a roundtable, but we need to decide on how to put questions and speakers in que. The system allows all participants to send text messages to specific participants or to everyone and that can be used to take questions during the conference. I also think we should take questions in advance so we can have those lined up to begin the conference and not have to wait for questions to come in by text. We can publish those questions/topics so people can prepare and to prevent several people from texting the same questions.

There are also settings that will allow the system to automatically "feature" the site speaking, but depending upon the size of the group at various locations, this could be problematic. Ambient noise in a room may cause problems trying to use the automatic feature mode. We won't know until the conference. The alternative method is to "manually" select the speaker from the administrator console.

I'm going to open a thread in the TFC sub-forum to be used for submitting questions and topics for discussion. Anyone can submit a question or topic even if you will not be participating in the conference.

Chas.
Mr Cotton,
I have used video Teleconferencing (VTC) quite extensively in my job.. On both propriety systems only available to the military, and commercially available ones used in the business community.
When dealing with a large (more then 3-5 nodes) "untrained" audience, (a group that does not have a weekly reoccurring VTC, will be considered "untrained or experienced)

I commonly used three people to control the flow of the meeting.
1:Main presenter... or moderator
2:Main permissions ("voice") controller. (watching in incoming "voice " requests, giving and taking "voice" permissions as needed to control the flow)
3:Secondary observer with no other tasks than to watch the incoming voice permissions requests, track who has asked what and if they received a response..and prompt a distant node that a question or statement was made which they can/should provide a response to.
These three people are seated and in direct communication with each other ideally, though I have done it remotely with folks I've worked with before and using a secondary comms path.
(NOTE: #1&2 can be the same person if the presenter can manipulate the system efficiently while folwoing the VTC format, Q&A, and conversations in chat, voice, side bars in the room)
With these new, or untrained groups I used a manual "voice" permissions mode.. The presenter stated a topic, question ect.. those that were required to respond sent a "chat" when ready.. or those desiring to respond sent a "chat" when ready.

The ask, pause, respond all in manual mode worked well, it dealt with latency issues that become very confusing when a distant node viewer "thinks" no one else is talking, so starts up,,, only to actually be talking over another presenter on the line already.
It worked well to help get responses from nodes that may not have heard the question or topic.

The open mic free for all works very well in smaller groups of users (1~5) who are experienced and familiar with the system in use, the procedure and format of the VTC, and know the limitations of the system (latency or one or more nodes).

The Automatic voice mode works well for nodes that are well disciplined, have dedicated VTC locations free of distractions and stray noise. They become very confusing when those conditions are not met in my experience.

Hope that in some way helps....

Respectfully
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

That helps a lot, thanks.

Chas.
E.Marquez wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:We need to decide on a format for the conference and the fact that it will be on video will influence that decision. I'd like to get input from folks now so we can put something together by Dec. 5th.

Chas.
Mr Cotton,
I have used video Teleconferencing (VTC) quite extensively in my job.. On both propriety systems only available to the military, and commercially available ones used in the business community.
When dealing with a large (more then 3-5 nodes) "untrained" audience, (a group that does not have a weekly reoccurring VTC, will be considered "untrained or experienced)

I commonly used three people to control the flow of the meeting.
1:Main presenter... or moderator
2:Main permissions ("voice") controller. (watching in incoming "voice " requests, giving and taking "voice" permissions as needed to control the flow)
3:Secondary observer with no other tasks than to watch the incoming voice permissions requests, track who has asked what and if they received a response..and prompt a distant node that a question or statement was made which they can/should provide a response to.
These three people are seated and in direct communication with each other ideally, though I have done it remotely with folks I've worked with before and using a secondary comms path.
(NOTE: #1&2 can be the same person if the presenter can manipulate the system efficiently while folwoing the VTC format, Q&A, and conversations in chat, voice, side bars in the room)
With these new, or untrained groups I used a manual "voice" permissions mode.. The presenter stated a topic, question ect.. those that were required to respond sent a "chat" when ready.. or those desiring to respond sent a "chat" when ready.

The ask, pause, respond all in manual mode worked well, it dealt with latency issues that become very confusing when a distant node viewer "thinks" no one else is talking, so starts up,,, only to actually be talking over another presenter on the line already.
It worked well to help get responses from nodes that may not have heard the question or topic.

The open mic free for all works very well in smaller groups of users (1~5) who are experienced and familiar with the system in use, the procedure and format of the VTC, and know the limitations of the system (latency or one or more nodes).

The Automatic voice mode works well for nodes that are well disciplined, have dedicated VTC locations free of distractions and stray noise. They become very confusing when those conditions are not met in my experience.

Hope that in some way helps....

Respectfully

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I won't be able to participate due to my schedule, otherwise I would. Seems like a good idea :thumbs2:

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

We should have an Agenda and someone would have to take meeting notes and action list.
What is the purpose of the Meeting?
Such as,
What are the best ways to rally support for OC for the public in general? Is it helpful, or not?
What are the best ways to rally support for OC for the LEO communities?
What are the best ways to rally support for OC for the Texas Reps and Senates? Already Chas, explained the true and tried method that was working since 1995
How the attending groups can help?
How to deal and co-operate with of OC Supporters such as OCT, and OCTyler.

Questions
Will OC affect 30.06?
etc,...
Beiruty,

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I stopped by our local city library.
1) High-speed Wifi is available.
2) I tested the android-version of zoom-us and it worked flawlessly.
3) for up to 6-attendents, a study-room is available for free, can be booked 2-days in advance.
4) Larger Board meeting room is available at $15/hr, 2 hrs minimum. Wall projector is also available if needed.
Beiruty,

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

Charles,

Is there going to be a listing of where the conference going to be at? I definitely want to attend but not sure where. I'm in Katy but will drive to where ever it is in Houston.

Thanks,
Bob

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”