Questions & Topics for 12/5/13 video conference on open-carr

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Questions & Topics for 12/5/13 video conference on open-carr

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

If you would like to submit a question or topic for discussion during the Dec. 5th video confernce (7:30pm - 8:30pm), please post it here. If you see a question/topic that interests you and you want to submit a follow-up question, please identify the original question/topic to help us put everything in order.

Posting a question or topic does not guarantee that it will be covered in the conference; we simply may not have time. As noted in the announcement thread, all Forum rules apply to this conference so please keep that in mind when submitting questions/topics. Hopefully it goes without saying that questions like "when will the elitists CHLs support the constitutional right to carry handguns openly[?]" not only won't make it into the conference, they will be deleted from this thread and the poster may be on vacation for a while. It's sad that I have to post this warning.

The plan is to schedule monthly video conferences on different topics. This should prove to be a valuable and effective tool in growing grassroots support for Second Amendment issues in Texas, especially when we approach elections and legislative session. Please pass this along to your friends and family and let's get as many people involved as possible. In legislative battles, the size of one's army is paramount.

Thanks,
Chas.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Questions & Topics for 12/5/13 video conference on open-

Post by RoyGBiv »

What persons in the House and Senate hold sway over committee assignments?
How do we best work together to assure that
1. pro-2A legislators are elected/assigned to those position holding sway over committee assignments
2. pro-2A legislators are assigned as committee chairpersons (in relevant/critical committees)
3. the best 2A bills are successfully promoted out of committee.

example:
I can walk into my Reps office today and talk with him about this, but, WHO do I ask him to vote for as Speaker and how do we work together with party leadership to make sure that we are promoting a candidate for speaker that they will also support? Because, as we all know, splitting the GOP vote gets us Straus again.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don't know if this would be appropriate for the conference or not, but how about discussing a pathway forward to unseating Joe Strauss and replacing him with someone more committed to gun rights in general.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I don't know if this would be appropriate for the conference or not, but how about discussing a pathway forward to unseating Joe Strauss and replacing him with someone more committed to gun rights in general.
Great minds..... :mrgreen:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I don't know if this would be appropriate for the conference or not, but how about discussing a pathway forward to unseating Joe Strauss and replacing him with someone more committed to gun rights in general.
Great minds..... :mrgreen:
Ooops! I didn't see the last part of your post. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm not sure how to ask this as a clear question, because there are SOoooo many variables..

But...

At some point we'll need to explore the various options for promoting OC (both inside the system and outside the system) and try to come to some consensus regarding which route(s) should receive our efforts. I suspect there are a lot of folks like me that do not understand (in detail) the "inside baseball" paths available and would benefit from an experienced overview on this. I assume (maybe naively) that some of the "OC in your face" crowd is their chosen that path out of a lack of understanding other available paths.

If we decide to pull in any particular direction together, it will certainly behoove us to have some measure of buy-in from our brothers in arms that have thus far chosen the more confrontational path.

I suppose that's two questions...

1. Options?
- "Inside"
- "Grassroots"
2. What (if any) coordination can/should be attempted with the other OC folks?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I realize this is the first video conference and I probably wasn't clear on what I need. I need specific questions to be addressed, not broad topics. I'm going to lock this thread and start an new one so I can quickly collate the questions for emailing to location hosts.

Also, don't assume the purpose is to decide how to pass open-carry. Open-carry is the topic and methods will probably be covered, but the goal isn't to create a plan of action. I want everyone to be comfortable participating even if they oppose open-carry.

Chas.

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”