HB195: Unlicensed Carrying of a Handgun

Education & Advocacy. Join today, it's free!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

VMI77
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB195: Unlicensed Carrying of a Handgun

Post by VMI77 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mr1337 wrote:Any chance in an amendment in the bill to clarify this point, or are there any other unlicensed OC + unlicensed CC bills filed (or yet to be filed)?
At least one other licensed open-carry bill will be filed and possibly another unlicensed open-carry bill. The licensed open-carry bill will be fine and it will be supported by NRA, TSRA and TFC. Something else has been drafted as a lifeboat, but I can't say more. There's no reason to file a different unlicensed open-carry bill if there's no chance such a bill would pass.

I don't know if Stickland would amend HB195, or if he'll even get the opportunity. If it is really an OCT/NAGR bill as OCT claims, then they should be pushing for a committee substitute. Again, HB195 may never have the opportunity for a committee substitute.

Chas.
Different subject, but I got my American Rifleman today and didn't see your name on the ballot?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

VMI77 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mr1337 wrote:Any chance in an amendment in the bill to clarify this point, or are there any other unlicensed OC + unlicensed CC bills filed (or yet to be filed)?
At least one other licensed open-carry bill will be filed and possibly another unlicensed open-carry bill. The licensed open-carry bill will be fine and it will be supported by NRA, TSRA and TFC. Something else has been drafted as a lifeboat, but I can't say more. There's no reason to file a different unlicensed open-carry bill if there's no chance such a bill would pass.

I don't know if Stickland would amend HB195, or if he'll even get the opportunity. If it is really an OCT/NAGR bill as OCT claims, then they should be pushing for a committee substitute. Again, HB195 may never have the opportunity for a committee substitute.

Chas.
Different subject, but I got my American Rifleman today and didn't see your name on the ballot?
I was reelected last year for another 3 year term. Thanks for looking!

Chas.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know if Stickland would amend HB195, or if he'll even get the opportunity. If it is really an OCT/NAGR bill as OCT claims, then they should be pushing for a committee substitute. Again, HB195 may never have the opportunity for a committee substitute.

Chas.
HI Charles, couple more questions.....

1. When a "pro" gun bill is written by another person/entity, and that bill is poorly crafted in some way (I'm thinking specifically of HB195's failure to adequately address 30.06 as an example, but this question is relevant to any such bill written by another entity which fails to address any possible consequences of the bill), does either NRA or TSRA involve itself in attempting to contact that entity through back-channels with suggestions for how the bill might be amended to have a greater chance for success (assuming it is truly pro-gun)?

2. OR.... in such a case, does NRA or TSRA just wash their hands of it and steer clear, making sure that all stakeholders in the process know and understand that it isn't NRA/TSRA's bill?

Just to be clear, I am asking about generalities, and I do understand why neither NRA nor TSRA would want their good names associated with a NAGR bill, particularly HB195, and I would agree with their doing so.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know if Stickland would amend HB195, or if he'll even get the opportunity. If it is really an OCT/NAGR bill as OCT claims, then they should be pushing for a committee substitute. Again, HB195 may never have the opportunity for a committee substitute.

Chas.
HI Charles, couple more questions.....

1. When a "pro" gun bill is written by another person/entity, and that bill is poorly crafted in some way (I'm thinking specifically of HB195's failure to adequately address 30.06 as an example, but this question is relevant to any such bill written by another entity which fails to address any possible consequences of the bill), does either NRA or TSRA involve itself in attempting to contact that entity through back-channels with suggestions for how the bill might be amended to have a greater chance for success (assuming it is truly pro-gun)?

2. OR.... in such a case, does NRA or TSRA just wash their hands of it and steer clear, making sure that all stakeholders in the process know and understand that it isn't NRA/TSRA's bill?

Just to be clear, I am asking about generalities, and I do understand why neither NRA nor TSRA would want their good names associated with a NAGR bill, particularly HB195, and I would agree with their doing so.
I have rewritten numerous bills originally written by others, when I am asked by a Senator or a Representative. If I'm contacted before a bill is filed, then my version is the as-filed version. Often my version is offered as a committee substitute.

Other "organizations" are not contacted about their bills, although some will contact us. I can't say more because some lying dirtbags will twist what I say.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Other "organizations" are not contacted about their bills, although some will contact us. I can't say more because some lying dirtbags will twist what I say.

Chas.
I absolutely understand.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Texas Firearms Coalition”